mtbr member
    Sep 2017

Current saddle size

I have a Trek Xcal. 8 2014. I bought it used so I'm not sure what my current saddle size is. I have tried Googling it but really cant find the answer. Is there a way to measure your current saddle to get the correct size. Its a Bontrager VL -2186 number on the bottom of saddle on rail is 334010. My last ride was my longest and toward the end very uncomfortable to say the least.

Ed

since 4/10/2009
    Saddles only sorta come in sizes...and only some of them. You measure them with a ruler at the widest point.

But that's not the only thing that's relevant. The length (again, with the ruler), the overall shape (which you can't really quantify), padding thickness and firmness, and so on.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Are you asking about saddle size in terms of compatibility with your butt or with your seatpost?

Most (all?) saddle rails are standard width, as are the seatpost mounts so they should be compatible. There was at least one manufacturer that used a proprietary mounting system but I don't think I've seen those in years.

If you're asking about compatibility with your rump then it's really trial and error. Ergon saddles come in widths for which you measure your "sit bones" but when I bought the one made for my pelvic width it feels too wide. Trial and error.

mtbr member
    It doesn't matter what the current size is if it's wrong. Google ass-o-meter (yep) and either go to a Specialized dealer or use one of the many diy methods to measure your sit bones.

It's probably not the size that's bothering you so much though as it is other factors, the most important being riding time. You didn't mention how much you've been riding but until you get some miles in any saddle feels pretty terrible.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Nat
    mtbr member
    Just don't buy one of those huge squishy 2" thick gel saddles trying to find comfort. Your butt just has to get conditioned.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Everybody on this board gets a sore butt the first few times we ride after a long layoff. No matter what saddle is used. So don't go out and expect to get comfort. You break in your muscles and positioning while riding over the course of the first few days of biking. If you still have problems after a couple weeks do the sit bone measurement you can google.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    If you ride a lot and especially long rides it is normal to have to try a few seats to find one you like, and there's no organized size system really. Wider or narrower and rounded or flat.
    Looking from the front you'll have rounded profiles, and flatter profiles. The longer and lower your upper body is the flatter you'll want usually. Typical MTB position is fairly upright so maybe try a rounded profile seat.
    Or go to a shop and see if you can try a few different seats even if it's a spin on a bike with a particular saddle. That isn't great since as we know things change after 3 hours or daily rides but it's better than nothing.

Nutrailer
    just adding my 2c worth;

Don't assume a very padded saddle is the answer like I did when I started, as you tend to sink into it and that may restrict your hips from moving causing more pain.
    I found after trying a few different saddles that a narrow (135mm) rigid carbon saddle is the most comfortable saddle for me. I'm assuming it's because the smooth hard surface allows my hips and lower body to move easier when pedaling.
    But I think everybody's ar*e aches a bit after a long day on their bikes, you just get used to it and your core strength and posture improves with time as well.
    What a perfect waste of time

One ring to mash them all
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed7842 View Post
    I have a Trek Xcal. 8 2014. I bought it used so I'm not sure what my current saddle size is. I have tried Googling it but really cant find the answer. Is there a way to measure your current saddle to get the correct size. Its a Bontrager VL -2186 number on the bottom of saddle on rail is 334010. My last ride was my longest and toward the end very uncomfortable to say the least.

Ed
    Coincidentally, I was "fit" for a Bontrager Evoke saddle at a Trek store 6 years ago and it's the comfiest saddle I've ever owned. Still using it.
    "Did you really think you could call up the Devil and ask him to behave?"
    ó Fox Mulder, The X-Files

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Thank you all for the tips. I did a sit bone (home edition)measurement . My saddle measures slightly narrower than my butt measurements. Ill try a wider, flatter saddle and see how that goes. I've only been riding a year or so.

mtbr member
    Itís different for everybody. For MTB use, I ride a Chromag Trailmaster, as the flat profile is easy to move around on. For road use, I ride a Brooks, and I wonít ride anything else. The current iteration is a copper-riveted Swift, and Iím still breaking it in...
    Salsa Timberjack SS
    -Gears give me headaches

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed7842 View Post
    Thank you all for the tips. I did a sit bone (home edition)measurement . My saddle measures slightly narrower than my butt measurements. Ill try a wider, flatter saddle and see how that goes. I've only been riding a year or so.
    When I used Ergon's saddle recommendation tool, it suggested a saddle that was wider than my sitbones. So you're probably on the right track to get a wider saddle.

I know for me it worked out great. Went from a stock small saddle that made my leg numb, to the large Ergon and couldn't be happier. Give their site a look.

mtbr member
    I am going to disagree with most of what's been said here. You can measure your ass bones at home with a piece of cardboard and a tape measure. Sit on the chunk of cardboard and get yourself in somewhat of a cycling position. Get up, measure the width of where your ass bones dented the cardboard.

I did this years ago after having horrible luck with most saddles. Turns out I have very widespread ass bones (saves the jokes, people) and I had to search for the right size. MOST saddles have a listed width, so you can pick one based on that. I ended up needing a 148 (most stock saddles are WAY smaller than that) and it cured all my booty soreness.

mtbr member
    x2 on the ass-o-meter by Specialized. local bike shop measured me, worked great.

mtbr member
    I agree with you. Near the end of my post trips I get some pain. Seems most MTB stock saddles are narrow. I got used to them. Though years on a new bike when I started riding again - I was in daily pain for about two weeks, even had trouble walking. I just couldnt understand how cycling was fun.
    MONGOOSE LEDGE 3.1 29ER 2013
    DIAMONDBACK RECOIL COMP 29ER 2013
    MOTOBECANE FANTOM DS COMP 29ER 2018

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    So I went stopped at the South main cycles in Belmont NC and picked up a WTB Volt. Bolted it on and went on a small ride just in the neighbor hood. I believe it will work fantastic. BIG difference between what I had compared to the volt.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleSpeedSteven View Post
    I am going to disagree with most of what's been said here. You can measure your ass bones at home with a piece of cardboard and a tape measure. Sit on the chunk of cardboard and get yourself in somewhat of a cycling position. Get up, measure the width of where your ass bones dented the cardboard. .
    I don't think you're disagreeing with anyone.

To OP - WTB Volt is my current favorite. I bought mine before they were available in more than one width. I think it would be the middle width that they sell now.

I have tried lots of saddles. I dislike most other wtb saddles. I also dislike Brooks saddles. For me, flat is good. My road bike has a crappy OEM Diamondback saddle that happens to feel great, because it is pretty flat with a bit of a channel. That shape just works for me...it happens to be very close in shape to the Volt.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    It doesn't matter what the current size is if it's wrong. Google ass-o-meter (yep) and either go to a Specialized dealer or use one of the many diy methods to measure your sit bones.
    I canít believe I Googled that and it was legit.

Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.