Cthulhu fhtagn

creaking seatpost

my bike starts making noises after riding for awhile and ive traced it to the seat post. if i unlock the seat qr and then relock it the noise goes away for awhile but then eventually comes back

im guessing the seat post is slipping in the tube but i dont know how to fix the problem. i thought maybe if i greased the post real good it would help but im not sure. any deas? what type of grease should i use?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    If its carbon there is a specific paste to use, for an aluminum a regular one works for me and usually gets the creak out.

A light application will work well

KIN
    Yes its retro but IT WORKS!

8 Speed is great and V-Brakes rock!

Ex-wrench...have a Question just ask!

Mountain Man Dan
    The bike is nothing more then circles turning circles, It's the human motor that makes it elegant.

DFMBA.org
    I know this is an old thread but my situation was similar and I found a solution for a carbon frame/AL seatpost scenario. Used a light application of Finish Line carbon paste at the clamp area and purchased one of these off of eBay: Ultra Light Alloy Seat Clamp Oval Hole for Carbon Frame 31 8 Fouriers Black | eBay This is a very tall seatpost clamp which grabs more frame and applies the forces over a greater surface area. My s/p hasn't moved a millimeter at a modest 5-6nm clamp force.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

Sooz
    I have experienced similar. If you are curious about seat post slippage, you should mark the seat post with a crayon or similar marker, and check occasionally. In my case, I used a carbon non-slip paste (on both my carbon and alu bkes), and also made sure that the opening gaps of the seat post tube and seat post clamps were off set from each other. This worked in my case. Resist the temptation to over tighten.

DFMBA.org
    I also discovered thru recent trial and error that a source of the creak was an uneven machined surface on the inside/underside lip of the seat collar. I suspect that the top of the carbon seat tube was catching on an uneven section of the machined lip, flexing, and causing noise. I raised the old. collar a couple millimeters above the seat tube top, then clamped it to the normal 5nm. Voila...no creak.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

any time my seatpost makes noise, I pull it out, clean the post and the inside of the seat tube of the frame, reapply paste, and reinsert. Quiet. Not sure why you would offset the gap in the collar and the frame, though. Things clamp better when those gaps are lined up.