banned
    Sep 2012

Crankset choices....need input

(I crossposted this from the drivetrain forum - hope to get more input here)

Got some extra cash burning a hole in my pocket and looking at upgrading my crankset and shed a little weight, so I'm seeking opinions/input. I ride mostly trails/AM.

Option 1
    SRAM X0 2x10 GXP crankset (28-42)

Option 2
    Race Face Deus/Turbine SL 3x10 crankset (24-32-42, titanium shaft)

Option 3
    Truvativ Noir XC 3.3 GXP crankset (22-32-44)

I'm leaning towards #1 or #2....but having difficulty considering going 2x front. Thoughts?

-S

The Original Suspect

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    There are very few situations (almost non-existent, I would say) where I missed a 32 tooth ring in the middle of my cranks. 2x does a very good job of hitting all the good ratios (but as they say, your mileage may vary) and makes more of the drivetrain accessible to the small ring. For my money, in central/north jersey, the 28-42 is a good setup with an 11-32 cassette. Plenty of low, plenty of high.

If you're avoiding carbon as a crank material because you are worried about durability, don't. Throw some crank boots on, and watch in amazement as they shrug off hits from rocks and logs that would bend (or break) alu cranks.

That, and Jenson is running a stupidly good deal on the X.0 GXP cranks right now. They only have 'blue' but hey, below wholesale is about as good as it gets.