Thread: Crankset

Oz
    mtbr member

Crankset

I have a 2010 Specialized Stumpy, FSR 29 and want to change the cranks and I'm wondering what will work. I have posted this in the drivetrain forum, and talked to a couple of different shops but keep getting different answers. My current setup is 3X9 and most cranks are listed as 3X10 or 2X10, I'm at a loss as to what will work. I was considering switching to a double in the front, but need to know what else I'll need to change. I was wondering if I switched to a double if I could just tune the shifter so that it doesn't overshift or would I need a new shifter and front derailleur? I hope my questions make sense and would appreciate any advice any of you can offer. Here is a link to the technical specs of my bike. Specialized Bicycle Components : Stumpjumper FSR Expert 29

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oz View Post
    I have a 2010 Specialized Stumpy, FSR 29 and want to change the cranks and I'm wondering what will work. I have posted this in the drivetrain forum, and talked to a couple of different shops but keep getting different answers. My current setup is 3X9 and most cranks are listed as 3X10 or 2X10, I'm at a loss as to what will work. I was considering switching to a double in the front, but need to know what else I'll need to change. I was wondering if I switched to a double if I could just tune the shifter so that it doesn't overshift or would I need a new shifter and front derailleur? I hope my questions make sense and would appreciate any advice any of you can offer. Here is a link to the technical specs of my bike. Specialized Bicycle Components : Stumpjumper FSR Expert 29

I see a lot of people saying you can't mix and match the 10 speed stuff with the 9. I have done it without any problems. The biggest thing is to make sure your rear shifter and derailleur match the cassette, and it doesn't sound like you will be messing with any of that.

Do you have a crank picked out already? There are still a lot of new, old stock, cranksets for 9 speed drivetrains around if you are concerned about it.

Past that, I have successfully installed 10 speed 2 ring cranksets on bikes using the stock front derailleur and shifter that were on the 3 ring 9 speed stuff. I have been able to adjust things to work with the 2 ring crankset.
    I'm not very smart, but I can lift heavy things

mtbr member
    10speed uses a thinner chain, if you use a 10speed crankset and front chainrings with a 9speed rear cassette, 9speed rear/front derailleur, 9speed chain you should be able to make it work.

I would suggest a 2x10 but 3x10 may work just as well.. as 11 Bravo said the front derailleur and front shifter should be able to adjust to work..

There are still plenty of 9speed cranks out there so unless you're planning on an eventual switch to a 10speed setup I would try and find a discounted 2011 9speed something first. good luck

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Just do it already jeesh.