mtbr member

Crank Brothers Power Pump

Anyone else have problems with this pump. I took it to my LBS and he got it to work fine on a presta valve. Went to 'top off' my pressure today on a Shrader and I couldn't get it to work. Sure is handy if I need to deflate a tube though.

Anyone else having the same problem or is it use OE/UE?
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.

-Thomas Jefferson

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackrabbit49er
    Anyone else have problems with this pump. I took it to my LBS and he got it to work fine on a presta valve. Went to 'top off' my pressure today on a Shrader and I couldn't get it to work. Sure is handy if I need to deflate a tube though.

Anyone else having the same problem or is it use OE/UE?
    All mini pumps are meant for occasional emergency use. Get a floor pump for everyday use.

In any case, it can be tough get get a pump head on a partly inflated schrader valve tube without losing a lot of pressure.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Elitest thrill junkie
    It's like any other Crank Brother's product. It has 1 or 2 "hooks" (design features designed to lure you to the product) but woefully underdesigned in every other aspect. Go read the reviews of this product, you'll see for yourself why it stinks.

Shiggy is right, mini-pumps are for occasional usage, but you can also carry a slightly bigger pump that is "in between" and does far better than any mini-pump. I suggest the Topeak Mountain Morph. It actually unfolds to work somewhat like a floor pump, but is compact enough to carry.

Two schools of thought:

Carry a small CO2 inflater that can also pump up a tire in a pinch, carry enough CO2.

Carry a pump that is decent enough to fill your tires in all situations.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Take the pump apart and re-seat all the rubber gaskets and seals. Make sure they're all positioned in the right direction. You did tighten the pump on the valve after you've seated it right? I've had a similar issue with the presta side, sent it back to CB and they returned it saying nothing was wrong. I took it apart and fixed it myself. It's been working fine now for over two years.

As far as the review section, it's biased. It should be renamed from "Reviews" to "Problem Complaints" as 99% of the time that's the only reason people post in there.

Its got what plants crave
    I have a CB pump and it works fine. It has a high pressure and low pressure setting that rocks.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    It's like any other Crank Brother's product. It has 1 or 2 "hooks" (design features designed to lure you to the product) but woefully underdesigned in every other aspect. Go read the reviews of this product, you'll see for yourself why it stinks.

Shiggy is right, mini-pumps are for occasional usage, but you can also carry a slightly bigger pump that is "in between" and does far better than any mini-pump. I suggest the Topeak Mountain Morph. It actually unfolds to work somewhat like a floor pump, but is compact enough to carry.

Two schools of thought:

Carry a small CO2 inflater that can also pump up a tire in a pinch, carry enough CO2.

Carry a pump that is decent enough to fill your tires in all situations.
    I was using it more as a test to see if I could get a tire inflated on the trail if I need too. I am definitely looking at a CO2 pump but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Does it take a full cartridge to inflate at tube or is it good for a few?

I do have a floor pump so that is what I used. I will have to look at it some more, sounds more like UE to me. Norcom - Can you walk me through what you did?
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.

-Thomas Jefferson

pedal pusher
    I have the original Power Pump--the tiniest model w/o a gauge--and it works just fine years after I bought it. I did have to swap the seal on the presta side once last year, but no big deal.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackrabbit49er
    Norcom - Can you walk me through what you did?
    Here are the pump rebuild instructions from CB:
    http://www.crankbrothers.com/support...ding_pumps.php

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I've have the Crank Bros Power Pump and it works ok, fine for fixing a flat on the trail. I found the best flat prevention is my big Park floor pump. If you check you tire pressure before every ride, you'll rarely get flats. Spend the $ on the floor pump, and get a decent mini pump.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2012 Banshee Spitfire 26er
    2005 Trek Bruiser urban single speed

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Quote Originally Posted by norcom
    As far as the review section, it's biased. It should be renamed from "Reviews" to "Problem Complaints" as 99% of the time that's the only reason people post in there.
    *Cough* Bullsh!t *cough*
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by norcom
    Here are the pump rebuild instructions from CB:
    http://www.crankbrothers.com/support...ding_pumps.php
    Thanks. Would be better if it had pics!

-Thomas Jefferson