mtbr member

Crank Brothers eggbeater design

I've been using eggbeater pedals for years without a problem. Today was my first failure.

My eggbeater 3's have about 2000 miles on them and I've never serviced them. Yeah, stupid, especially after noticing the pedal was grinding when spun by hand. The cartridge bearing on the left pedal disintegrated and the pedal came completely off the spindle.

So I bought a rebuild kit and it looks very easy to rebuild it. But I noticed something in the design when I took it apart.

The pedal body is only held onto the spindle by that cartridge bearing. The bearing is bolted down to a shoulder on the spindle and the cover/cap pushes against the bearing.

That seems like a lot of potential side loading for a small cartridge bearing. Neither the needle bearing nor the pedal body is taking any side load. The entire pedal can move left and right on the spindle with the cap off.

That said, 2000 miles without so much as taking a cap off is pretty good.
    Yeti ASR-5
    Niner One 9

Elitest thrill junkie
    Well, I've never had pedals fail like my crank brothers, my shimano ones spin perfectly with no maintenance ever.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

All bike, all the time
    Agreed it's shocking how little there is to the assembly. On my TOL eggs the end cap holds the whole thing together. But have to say maintenance is minimal and if you do the minimum they hold up forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post
    I've been using eggbeater pedals for years without a problem. Today was my first failure.

My eggbeater 3's have about 2000 miles on them and I've never serviced them. Yeah, stupid, especially after noticing the pedal was grinding when spun by hand. The cartridge bearing on the left pedal disintegrated and the pedal came completely off the spindle.

So I bought a rebuild kit and it looks very easy to rebuild it. But I noticed something in the design when I took it apart.

The pedal body is only held onto the spindle by that cartridge bearing. The bearing is bolted down to a shoulder on the spindle and the cover/cap pushes against the bearing.

That seems like a lot of potential side loading for a small cartridge bearing. Neither the needle bearing nor the pedal body is taking any side load. The entire pedal can move left and right on the spindle with the cap off.

All bike, all the time

mtbr member
    Side loads on a pedal are not significant, I think the bearing should be able to take it just fine.

Any more load sideways is more likely to break your ankle or knee, or disengage the cleat.

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Well, I've never had pedals fail like my crank brothers, my shimano ones spin perfectly with no maintenance ever.
    I love my Shimano pedals....but I have had numerous pedal body breaking off the spindle to count. Usually the lock nut that hold the bearings and sleeve breaks off the tip of the spindle, and boom....foot seperated from crank....pedal still attached to foot.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post
    It's kinda sad that our expectations are so low these days, and that 2000 miles for a pedal is considered pretty good. The circa 2000 Time ATAC pedals would easily go 5000-8000 miles without any service and were pretty much unbreakable. IMO, weight weenie-ism has tanked the reliability of all pedals, even my beloved Time ATACs. Bearings are smaller than ever, and seals come to favour low friction instead of effective sealing.

Nice day for a ride.....
    I've had about half a dozen sets of eggbeaters. They all died in less than a year, with greasing every two weeks. Broken wings, broken spindles, worn out springs, etc. The Crank Bros stuff just isn't made to last. Went back to Shimano and have had no issues since.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikin' Bric View Post
    I've had about half a dozen sets of eggbeaters. They all died in less than a year, with greasing every two weeks. Broken wings, broken spindles, worn out springs, etc. The Crank Bros stuff just isn't made to last. Went back to Shimano and have had no issues since.
    x2 ... I held off way to long to go back to Shimano because I had 4 bikes to change over. Last draw was a time when I had big race coming up had very little training time and had to walk out of the woods for third time that year.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!