Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Bro Mountainbiker

Crank Brothers Cobalt 11 Handlebars. Anyone use these?

I haven't found any detailed reviews on these bars. A couple reviews on Wiggle and amazon. None have much depth.

Im looking at the flat(5mm rise) 680mms.

Ill start by saying I have vowed to never use any Crank Bros product. Simply because their products can be lacking in the reliability department. But since I found these bars on QBP, I have reconsidered.

I found these bars and the width, weight, and price look really good. But I would never consider a handlebar that has good chances of failing and messing up my face. Hell, Im ugly enough as I am now and I dont have dental insurance So toofs loss would not be good.

Is this thing dangerous? I just feel super light + super cheap carbon could potentially be dangerous. I ride aggressive XC and I dont shy away from small hucks and jumps. Air = good. I weight 170lbs.

Would you ride em?

Look forward to reading what yall say!
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Warrior's Society
    I have about 1 month on mine......I went with the 15mm rise and 780mm length for my singlespeed.

No problems so far. Love the stupid wide bars.

They do flex, I am 210 lbs. when I torque on them you can feel the flex. However not so much that it worries me. I was running a pair of Azonic B52 DH bars before, so that could be part of the difference in feel. I ride aggressively and am so far happy with them......even have a set on the way to put on the Tallboy.

If you planning on jumping and bucking, you might want to check out the Iodines instead. A little heavier, but built more for that.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    I have CB carbon riser bars in 740mm. Love them. Zero issues.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Hmm, Flex is an issue. Handlebar flex isnt as annoying as wheel or fork flex, but it is still flex.

MTNBikeJ- You think they would still feel flexy at 680mm width? 780 is a bit wide and Im not looking for a huge rise. 5mm is okay... How much flex can you get out of them at 680? In mm if you wouldnt mind.

I had a flexy setup before what I have now(fsa slk), and it was unbearable. Kept it for a week.

Im glad to hear that they have held up.
    I do like to jump and get air but I never get more than three feet or so

ChainChain- Any flex for yours? Whats your weight?

Thanks fellas!

Warrior's Society
    They may not flex as much at 660 or 680mm. I should also add that this is in conjunction with a Sunline XC-1 90mm stem that is far from rigid.

So like I said above, had I not been riding a DH bar for the last year, the flex might not seem so bad. Compared to the Salsa Pro-Moto Carbons I have on the Tallboy, the flex is comparable.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Good to know. They are so cheap it seems like a win win unless they kill me. Which may not ever happen.

Ill be using it with a 70mm 4 bolt thomson which is stiff as hell. Im gonna get some of these and report back. I am a stickler for flex but Ill have to try em out and see how they feel.

Thanks again!

Plays with tools
    I want to know if they will be sending new teeth back with warranty replacements?

I'm with you on never riding anything from them. I won't sell it either, I like my customers to much. Giving them a second chance with a handlebar is a giant leap of faith.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    I want to know if they will be sending new teeth back with warranty replacements?

I'm with you on never riding anything from them. I won't sell it either, I like my customers to much. Giving them a second chance with a handlebar is a giant leap of faith.
    God damnit you are giving me doubt!

So is a mechanic buddy in town. He said the same thing about the teeth.

Im gonna sleep on it for a few nights. I wish that enve sweep was available on QBP. Its been out of stock for months.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    Good to know. They are so cheap it seems like a win win unless they kill me. Which may not ever happen.

Ill be using it with a 70mm 4 bolt thomson which is stiff as hell. Im gonna get some of these and report back. I am a stickler for flex but Ill have to try em out and see how they feel.

Thanks again!
    I have this exact setup. I do not notice any flex in the bar or stem, and with my new Manitou Minute thru-axle for, the whole front end just seems so solid.

No complaints

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by captainmorgan View Post
    I have this exact setup. I do not notice any flex in the bar or stem, and with my new Manitou Minute thru-axle for, the whole front end just seems so solid.

No complaints
    Good to know. During my ride today I decided Im going to use the Truvativs. They are only a few $ more and 700mm wide!

mtbr member
    I have these bars and they are great, very light and a great price. I've taken a few spills and they have held up fine. No noticeable flex either. I like how they have a very slight rise but are basically flat. They make a great seatpost too. Their stem is waaaaaay over priced.

Front Range, Colorado
    God damnit you are giving me doubt!

So is a mechanic buddy in town. He said the same thing about the teeth.

Im gonna sleep on it for a few nights. I wish that enve sweep was available on QBP. Its been out of stock for months.
    Hey stop freaking it's only teeth you can get implants in this day and age.
    But seriously I don't have experience with C.B. bars but I do with Easton. I'm 6' at 210lbs and my riding style is identical to yours. An aggressive all mountain type. My Easton Monkeylite Carbons have been on a couple bikes and have been going strong since 2000'. So hopefully. C.B. has taken on Eastons way of making them. Hey and if this helps ya I have been running a C.B. Joplin w/remote adjustable seatpost for 3-4 years with zero issues.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 01-08-2012 at 10:03 AM.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE, View Post
    Hey stop freaking it's only teeth you can get implants in this day and age.
    But seriously I don't have experience with C.B. bars but I do with Easton. I'm 6' at 210lbs and my riding style is identical to yours. An aggressive all mountain type. My Easton Monkeylite Carbons have been on a couple bikes and have been going strong since 2000'. So hopefully. C.B. has taken on Eastons way of making them. Hey and if this helps ya I have been running a C.B. Joplin w/remote adjustable seatpost for 3-4 years with zero issues.
    Haha my dads a dentist too. So its really no big deal!

Why do people refer to easton when I ask about Crank Bros bars? Someone else did recently as well. Im starting to think they make them for CB?
    I may get em if I can ever decide between those and the Truvativs. The truvativs are Ugly, wider, maybe stiffer? maybe stronger? Heavyier for sure.

I really gotta do some more research first.

Front Range, Colorado
    Haha my dads a dentist too. So its really no big deal!

Why do people refer to easton when I ask about Crank Bros bars? Someone else did recently as well. Im starting to think they make them for CB?
    I may get em if I can ever decide between those and the Truvativs. The truvativs are Ugly, wider, maybe stiffer? maybe stronger? Heavyier for sure.

I really gotta do some more research first.
    Well because Easton is the pioneer in the industry and still the leader. With something like this I like to go with time and tried tested rather than a newcomer to the game. But then again I don't have the convenience of a dentist in the family. Have I convinced you to go with Easton yet?
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)

Bro Mountainbiker
    Thanks! I diddnt know if there was correlation between the companies or something...

No you havent convinced me enough! I like their stuff but my shop cant get it... So its sorta out of the picture. The EC70 wide looks pretty cool though.

I may get the truvatives, syncros vecotor ams, or spring for the Niner or Enve.

Front Range, Colorado
    Thanks! I diddnt know if there was correlation between the companies or something...

No you havent convinced me enough! I like their stuff but my shop cant get it... So its sorta out of the picture. The EC70 wide looks pretty cool though.

I may get the truvatives, syncros vecotor ams, or spring for the Niner or Enve.
    Oh those bars are aluminum correct? I thought we were talking Carbonfiber sorry. It's a verrrrrry rare deal for an aluminum bar to fail. I say go for it I'm sure CB stress tested them to certain pound rating before releasing them.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)

Bro Mountainbiker
    Naw my friend, carbon. 185mm and 150 grams.

I'm still on the fence with the CBs. The penalty for failure is high but most people I talk to say they have only seen carbon bars break with improper torque or crashing.... I'm worried most about landing a big jump and them crushing under my weight or something. I'm 170 btw...

You ever heard of a bar doing that? Anyone?

Bro
    Where I do my thinking

I'm still on the fence with the CBs. The penalty for failure is high but most people I talk to say they have only seen carbon bars break with improper torque or crashing.... I'm worried most about landing a big jump and them crushing under my weight or something. I'm 170 btw...

I once landed a big jump onto your momma, and she didn't break. I'm 170 also. I'd say if my body weight failed to break yo' momma, it's a safe bet that the same weight won't break a handlebar.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

Front Range, Colorado

Like I said earlier I'm 210 lbs and ride aggressively. My Easton Monkeylites have been going strong since 2000'. Like you said the failures occur from overtightening bar components. Stem,brake,shifters. I have always just barely tightened them. Always being careful not to over tighten. Never had a problem. In fact an old MX trick is to leave the brake pods barely tight. This is to prevent the levers from breaking during a crash. These CB bars are so new to the market it's. going to be hard to get any feedback on the durability of them. Maybe try looking into the way they lay up the carbon and compare to the way Easton or other reputable brands does it. Or just jump in the market needs Guinea pigs for testing purposes. Besides you have a dentist in the family why all the worrys?
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)

mtbr member
    If you are really this paranoid, then just get an aluminum handlebar and quit worrying about things

If you are not that paranoid, then quit being a wuss and just ge the bars already.

I got the CB 11 h-bars for my wife for Christmas. She is not afraid to put some air under the tires. They are working just fine. No catastrophic breaks, no flex, no worries
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by erik1245 View Post
    I once landed a big jump onto your momma, and she didn't break. I'm 170 also. I'd say if my body weight failed to break yo' momma, it's a safe bet that the same weight won't break a handlebar.
    Well my friend. It looks like we have the same number of chicklets. I propose we fight to the death and the winner takes the others squares. Since we are both 170 lbs we would have a pretty even match. Except the fact that I am all lean muscle and you are 50% pudge and about 50% hot air.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Yeah yeah yeah.... Im gonna continue to sleep on it.

I actually leaning towards a sturdier option. I want it for the piece of mind. My niner carbon fork holds me back from getting too much air... I dont want bars that to the same.

mtbr member
    Yeah yeah yeah.... Im gonna continue to sleep on it.

I actually leaning towards a sturdier option. I want it for the piece of mind. My niner carbon fork holds me back from getting too much air... I dont want bars that to the same.
    So you ride a carbon fork.
    I trust carbon bars, but not so trusting of carbon forks.
    Just get the CB bars already. At 170 lbs, you will be just fine. You are not heavy.

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Well my friend. It looks like we have the same number of chicklets. I propose we fight to the death and the winner takes the others squares. Since we are both 170 lbs we would have a pretty even match. Except the fact that I am all lean muscle and you are 50% pudge and about 50% hot air.
    Fisticuffs, I say! And my body weight ratio is approximately 80% hot air and 20% muscle, how dare ye underestimate the amount of hot air I can expel at any given moment.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by erik1245 View Post
    Fisticuffs, I say! And my body weight ratio is approximately 80% hot air and 20% muscle, how dare ye underestimate the amount of hot air I can expel at any given moment.
    See, he can kill with bad breath alone. I would look out

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast