Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    official eMpTyBRain

Crank Bros pedal question: Half platform, half clipless?

I may getting close to pulling the trigger on buying an urban commuter rig. Something that I can burn some calories with on a quick street grind from out my front door when I don't have the time to drive to the dirt.

The bike will be used by myself and my wife. I want to equip it with CB pedals because that's what I ride on dirt.

My question is:

Are there attachments that will transform a set of Eggbeaters into a platform on one side so that my wife can ride it with confidence while wearing regular athletic shoes?

I've seen these on Shimano pedals, just wondering if it's an option with CBs because I would like to avoid having to change the pedals out when she wants to ride it. Thanks for your input!
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    Hawg, you could make such a platform but it would be difficult to install and you would not be able to leave it when you use clip in shoes (it would fall out). The solution I would look at is buying a set of mallets and trying them unmodified first. If you need to modify the mallets for your wife you could probably cut back one set of beater wires (although I have not tried this). Alternately you could build a small riser for either the mallet or candy pedal to allow one side to be used sans-clip.

Platform or Clipless (or both?)

Here's a related thread. If your wife is riding with cycling shoes, having the cleat mount cover cut out might give her extra clearance. Although I never seemed to have a problem riding without cleats using mallets on my tandem.

turtles make me hot
    I like turtles

official eMpTyBRain
    Awesome, thanks guys!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I hate those things. Also pedals with flats on one side and clips on the other. They always hang upside down and when you try and flip them over they spin to the bottom again.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

banned
    Jan 2013
    Mallets work great as platforms for techy crap when you need a few pedal strokes before bothering to clip back in.

As dedicated platform use? Not so much, they feel like a platform with a ball bearing in the middle.

official eMpTyBRain
    Thanks BRG, looks like the best option is to simply change out the pedals for whoever is riding the bike that day. I already have both ready to go anyway.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Thanks BRG, looks like the best option is to simply change out the pedals for whoever is riding the bike that day. I already have both ready to go anyway.
    No way Hawg not you please tell me it ain't so.

Go with TIME and choose the Z pedal for this setup.
    It's a perfect time for you to switch over anyway. Stop digging yourself in deeper and deeper. Go with a dependable setup. TIME pedals are One of the few thing's on your bike that you bolt on and forget about it.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    No way Hawg not you please tell me it ain't so.
    You need some sleep buddy!!

Those pedals would not work wearing running shoes. I'm very sorry, but you are out of line here and out of TIME. Now, go get some sleep!

Front Range, Colorado
    You need some sleep buddy!!

Those pedals would not work wearing running shoes. I'm very sorry, but you are out of line here and out of TIME. Now, go get some sleep!
    Go back and read my whole post. The Z pedal is perfect for running shoes.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

official eMpTyBRain
    Go back and read my whole post. The Z pedal is perfect for running shoes.
    What I'd need is a combo pedal that has a cage built around it that is higher than how high the clips stick up so that the clips are not felt by an average street/track shoe. To this day, I am unaware of any manufacture that offers such a thing. That's why I think I will just pull off my EBs and mount some flats for my honey when she want to ride. I have some uber-light weight flats already in stock in Hawg's Bike Closet.

Besides, no way your monstrosity TIME pedals weigh less than my EB Ti pedals. Don't forget that I am a semi-weight-weenie. Weight does matter for us climbing monsters.

And finally, the TIME pedals are u-g-l-y.

Front Range, Colorado
    What I'd need is a combo pedal that has a cage built around it that is higher than how high the clips stick up so that the clips are not felt by an average street/track shoe. To this day, I am unaware of any manufacture that offers such a thing. That's why I think I will just pull off my EBs and mount some flats for my honey when she want to ride. I have some uber-light weight flats already in stock in Hawg's Bike Closet.

Besides, no way your monstrosity TIME pedals weigh less than my EB Ti pedals. Don't forget that I am a semi-weight-weenie. Weight does matter for us climbing monsters.

And finally, the TIME pedals are u-g-l-y.
    The Z pedal with the platform is perfect with shoes. The clip sits below the platform. The other pedal is for your mtb weight weenie ride. It is a carbon titanium Titan XS Time pedal. It weighs 270 grams. Amazon.com: Time ATAC XS Ti Carbon Clipless Pedals: Sports & Outdoors

And finally the TIME pedals scream sex appeal.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Try Mallets for both, I hardly find it annoying, and less than one side platform one side clipless pedals. They have removable pins for adjust, and far less annoying than changing pedals on the reg. When the springs are brand new it's more noticeable. Plus with one pedal's threads reversed, and the crankset's soft aluminum, it's just not the best plan if you like your crankset.
    With that said I'd rather have pinned platforms paired with the right shoes on one bike, and clipless on another, just can make it more specific, not only in terms of shoes.
    My .02
    Round and round we go

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    Try Mallets for both, I hardly find it annoying, and less than one side platform one side clipless pedals. They have removable pins for adjust, and far less annoying than changing pedals on the reg. When the springs are brand new it's more noticeable. Plus with one pedal's threads reversed, and the crankset's soft aluminum, it's just not the best plan if you like your crankset.
    With that said I'd rather have pinned platforms paired with the right shoes on one bike, and clipless on another, just can make it more specific, not only in terms of shoes.
    My .02
    Thanks, I will look into that.

official eMpTyBRain
    The Z pedal with the platform is perfect with shoes. The clip sits below the platform. The other pedal is for your mtb weight weenie ride. It is a carbon titanium Titan XS Time pedal. It weighs 270 grams. And finally the TIME pedals scream sex appeal.
    My EB Ti pedals come in at 230 grams, thank you very much.

And sex appeal?! Yeah if you like to have a pair of Cylon fighter ships from Battelstar Galactica at the ends of your cranks.

Front Range, Colorado
    Thanks, I will look into that.
    I second the TIME pedals. A much way to go in terms of dependability. There's another recent CB thread with quite a bit of complaints. And I noticed in that thread TIME pedals are getting rave reviews.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    May 2005
    This isn't what you're asking but I would put platforms on it. You'll burn more calories and you can hit up jumps and urban stuff.

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by derekbob View Post
    This isn't what you're asking but I would put platforms on it. You'll burn more calories and you can hit up jumps and urban stuff.
    We live in steep hills. The average grade is 10%-20% on pavement. I will get me workout simply riding a mile or five or ten from home. No jumps for this "roadie" bike that will have skinny road tires on it

To have a better idea of what I'm talking about, check this link:

KONA BIKES | 2014 BIKES | COMMUTER | DR DEW

mtbr member
    May 2005
    We live in steep hills. The average grade is 10%-20% on pavement. I will get me workout simply riding a mile or five or ten from home. No jumps for this "roadie" bike that will have skinny road tires on it

To have a better idea of what I'm talking about, check this link:

KONA BIKES | 2014 BIKES | COMMUTER | DR DEW
    So your wife can handle the hills with platforms but you can't? JK

I would swap pedals if I needed the clipless. I'm thinking hybrid pedals will have both you and your wife wishing for different pedals.

So I emailed Crank Brothers today with the following questions:
    1. Have you considered building a version where the platform is biased or off-set on one side to allow flat shoes to be used without the eggbeater wires pressing on the shoe? i.e. 50/50 meets Mallet.
    2. Could one half of the eggbeater cage be ground off (to allow flat use on one side) or would the cage spin away from the shoe?

Rich Garrett replied:

1. At this point we are not interested in this type of pedal.
    2. I donít recommend do this for safety and you would cancel out the warranty.
    I recommend finding what type of pedal you prefer and go with that style.

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by derekbob View Post
    So your wife can handle the hills with platforms but you can't? JK

I would swap pedals if I needed the clipless. I'm thinking hybrid pedals will have both you and your wife wishing for different pedals.
    My wife will pedal calmly. I will be out of the saddle hammering.

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    1. Have you considered building a version where the platform is biased or off-set on one side to allow flat shoes to be used without the eggbeater wires pressing on the shoe? i.e. 50/50 meets Mallet.
    2. Could one half of the eggbeater cage be ground off (to allow flat use on one side) or would the cage spin away from the shoe?

Rich Garrett replied:

Thanks!

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post

Rich Garrett replied:

Did Crank a Brothers email you back and suggest going with TIME. Don't feel bad it wouldn't be the first TIME.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

official eMpTyBRain
    Did Crank a Brothers email you back and suggest going with TIME. Don't feel bad it wouldn't be the first TIME.
    All right buddy, you're in TIME out! Go sit in the corner. Facing the wall...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast