mtbr member
    Oct 2005

New question here. Crank Bros. Mallet M VS. Time Z Control pedals

I am looking at getting my first pair of clip in pedals and am considering the Crank Brothers Mallet M (or C's) and the Time Z contol models. I am looking for pedals with a platform so as I can use them without clip in shoes as well. I have been reading the reviews here on mtb review but I need some advice to tip me one way or the other. Both pedals are priced around the same and seem quite similar (to me at least). Does anyone know how the clip in systems of each model compare with each other?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ps. if you know any multipurpose shoes (shoes that I can walk around in as well) that would work well with these pedals i'd love to know, cheers.
    Last edited by chambo; 12-06-2005 at 05:01 PM.

what a joke
    I have mallet C's on both my bikes for about 18months. They have given me no problems up untill a month ago when one pedal snapped off on my single speed bike on a night ride. I emailed CB and they responded the next day and shipped me two more pedals to Australia at no cost to me. So there customer service is very good but the broken pedal sucked in the middle of a night ride in the bush.
    blah blah blah

mtbr member
    Mallet M's here. I absolutely love them. I clip-in most of the time, but it is nice to be able to use sneakers and ride up to the store.

I haven't had any problems with my Mallets (and I have smacked them on rocks many times) but I also heard that customer serivce from CB is top notch.

Ninja Please
    Jan 2004
    time control z's for me. i love'em