likes bicycles

Crank Bros Candy C's falling apart

Just wonding if anyone's had a similar problem/how Crank Bros handled it.

On my ride yesterday it seemed like my left foot was poppin out whenever I'd crank hard. I figured I was just accidentally rotating my ankle so I wrote it off and kept riding. Towards the end of the ride I couldn't even clip in. Upon closer inspection the spring that grabs the cleat (sorry I don't know the tech terms) has come loose and rotates way past its original limit. I can clip in on two of the four sides, but it's an absolute pain in the caboose. I'm pretty jacked about it because the peds are prob about two months old. I banged the right one off a root pretty good on the ride, but it was the left one that broke.

So yeah, anyone else have a problem with this? I love the way crank bros work and would strongly consider upgrading if it means more durability.

mtbr member
    I've read posts where a lot of people say the C's break often, apparently the SL's dont. The thing is, I've beat the crap out of my C's for a while now, hitting them on rocks and everything, and they work great still. Weird. I'm 155 lbs, so maybe it's just you fatties breaking them?

wot no bike?
    Just call-up CB and tell them you need to send the pedal in for warranty. They'll give you an RMA# and you'll have it (or another one) back from them in under 10 days, Crank Brothers are *awesome* to their customers. I had to send two Eggbeater C's in at two different times. The second time I sent a pedal in they sent me a brand new *pair* in the box, cleats and all.
    pete

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pahearn
    Just call-up CB and tell them you need to send the pedal in for warranty. They'll give you an RMA# and you'll have it (or another one) back from them in under 10 days, Crank Brothers are *awesome* to their customers. I had to send two Eggbeater C's in at two different times. The second time I sent a pedal in they sent me a brand new *pair* in the box, cleats and all.
    It is not my intent to put Crank Bros. pedals down and they may well have great customer service. However, this is not the first time I have read about reliability issues. You yourself are admitting to sending two sets of Eggbeaters back. That is enough to make me shy off using them.

I've been using a pair of Shimano 959 pedals since 2002 on several bikes. They have never been touched and still working perfectly. If it matters, since someone mentioned, I'm 220lbs!

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

Look out!
    I had candy c's and broke one of the bars that hold the cleat in place. I called Crank Bros and they fixed it for free. No problems. Good customer service. Then I broke it again and decided I needed some other kind of pedal. I race expert and am 180 lbs.
    Ride the bike.

Spooooon!
    I had the same spring problem on a set of Candy Cs and Crank Bros sent me new "Premium Cleats", but didn't offer to trade the pedals. I have 2 sets of SLs that have been perfect.

likes bicycles
    Quote Originally Posted by Hairllama
    I have 2 sets of SLs that have been perfect.
    How long have you been running the SLs? Do you think it's worth upgrading?

Spooooon!
    I love the SLs. I wouldn't hesitate to upgrade. They just seem to be made from better materials.

I wear two thongs
    Sounds definitely like a warantee issue. You definitely arent abusing your pedals on the terrain we were riding.

P.S did you make it out to the cemetery loop and back before it got dark?
    Hiking is just walking where its okay to pee... Sometimes old people go hiking by accident. -Demetri Martin-

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I broke a pair of candy Cs and two smarties this summer. I'm reverting to the old style Time ATACs.

Discussed this in another thread, and someone pointed out that the SL has a better design on the cage, which might make a difference. The SLs don't have an indent for the spring.

likes bicycles
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Hoefer
    P.S did you make it out to the cemetery loop and back before it got dark?
    I made it out and back and loved every minute of it. That's a sick little trail. That's also where i started to notice the peds were really acting up so i basically avoided unclipping the left foot for the entirety of it.

wot no bike?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie
    It is not my intent to put Crank Bros. pedals down and they may well have great customer service. However, this is not the first time I have read about reliability issues. You yourself are admitting to sending two sets of Eggbeaters back. That is enough to make me shy off using them.
    I hear you, I guess my point was to make people shy-away from the 'C' models and go with 'SL' as I haven't had any problems with those. I have heard a few stories of people busting SLs but it hasn't been my experience yet. If that does happen to me, as much as I love the "action" of CB pedals I would definitely like to try ATACs as well. I used to run Shimano's for years but I never did like the ability to adjust the tensions, I was always monkeying with them and they are IMO more complex than a pedal needs to be. I know though that for each reason I dislike Shimano's there are Shimano owners who love them for those exact reasons, so to each their own!
    pete

likes bicycles
    I called up Crank Bros today and they told me I wold have to send the pedals in (on my own dime) and they would fix them in about two days and ground ship them back out. Since I'm in New York this would prob mean about ten business days without my peds. So I called up some of the local shops to see who serviced these beasts. Found a shop, took them in, and apparently the sping actually slid over. It was digging into the inside of the pedal and wasn't providing the proper tension. The tech pried it back into place with a flat head and I was out the door with my wallet still full and my pedals back in action.

I guess I couldn't really ask for much more from Crank Bros, but this has me worrying about the quality of these things. It's only two months old...

Spooooon!
    You might want to learn how to slide the spring back yourself, because the problem will continue. My Candy Cs kept doing it until I gave up on them and got the SLs.

ol' dusty lungs
    I've had my SL's for over a year, smashed them into rocks, trees and curbs... they still work great. And Crank Brothers' customer service is excellent - I lost one of my dustcaps and they mailed a pair out to me that day, no charge.

likes bicycles
    Quote Originally Posted by Hairllama
    You might want to learn how to slide the spring back yourself, because the problem will continue. My Candy Cs kept doing it until I gave up on them and got the SLs.
    Yeah... I had the guy show me what he did but I'm still not happy about it.

Your bike is incorrigible
    I had a pair of mallets for about three years. Beat them mercilessly. I decided it was time to loose some weight, and I went the SLs. That was a year ago, and I haven't had a single problem. To tell the truth I was concerned by all the negative feedback on the Cs. I looked around and found a decent deal on year old SLs and went for it. Now the only minor thing that annoys me is that it's more difficult to clip into the candies than the mallets, but that's just because the mallet platform is monstrous and serves as a guide for your foot. It's not technically a fault of the candies.

likes bicycles
    So I got out for a ride today (first time since i had the peds "fixed"). About an hour in they started acting up again. I'm gonna give Performance a call to see if they'd have a quicker turn around than CB, and I'm gonna talk to them about upgrading to SL's. It's def. justifiable to upgrade if I only have to pay the difference, but it seems ridiculous that after two months of use I have to even consider new peds.

I'm bummed to say the least.

Ancient Winged Rider
    I just recently went back to clipless pedals. I weigh 230lbs. and I bought the chrom-moly version because they remind me of the Richey's I used to have. They are holding up great.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    i have a pair from a 2006 slayer 90 if anyone is intrested they look like there in great shape.

i dont know much about themPM me for more info if your intrested

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Candy C and SL are the same thing. The only thing that change is the axle material (Stainless vs cro-mo)