Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by FLMike View Post
    Yes, this thread is 4 years old and the amount of breaks posted in this thread only represent a very small portion of Thomson stems in use..
    That's not entirely true, nobody has a clue except for Thomson how widespread the issue is because of 2 points...
    1. Not everyone who has a cracked Thomson stem is a member of mtbr, think of all the non english speaking people in the world.
    2. Not everyone who has suffered a cracked stem will post about it. This thread proves my point.. Some had a few failures, and this thread is the first time anybody is hearing of it. Most won't bother with it unless there are threads like this one. And only then you will hear only a small portion of the issues.

MTBR Member
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    which is why thomson went with a smaller allen key size on their bolts to try to prevent over tightening issues.
    Do you mean from 5mm to 4mm or 4mm to 3mm? Just wondering if they have gone fully to 3mm hex heads. I sent a stem in to Thomson a few months ago b/c I thought it was counterfeit and the stem came back with 3mm bolts. The torque range also dropped from 5.5nm to 5.1nm on the steerer clamp bolts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SV11 View Post
    That's not entirely true, nobody has a clue except for Thomson how widespread the issue is because of 2 points...
    1. Not everyone who has a cracked Thomson stem is a member of mtbr, think of all the non english speaking people in the world.
    2. Not everyone who has suffered a cracked stem will post about it. This thread proves my point.. Some had a few failures, and this thread is the first time anybody is hearing of it. Most won't bother with it unless there are threads like this one. And only then you will hear only a small portion of the issues.
    so, do you think if I create an "Cracked Easton Stem" thread Ill have the same percentage of people post that is proportionate to the amount of stems they sell?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    so, do you think if I create an "Cracked Easton Stem" thread Ill have the same percentage of people post that is proportionate to the amount of stems they sell?
    Give it a shot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SV11 View Post
    Give it a shot.
    I just dont think ill remember to give an update in 4 years

mtbr member

I Started a "Post your cracked stems" thread

I Started a "Post photos of your cracked stems" thread on this forum and am guessing that we will see fewer than half a dozen non-Thomson stems posted there.

PROVE ME WRONG

Until then: THOMSON'S CURRENT STEM DESIGN = FAIL!!!
    If more people rode more bikes, more places, more often, the world would be a more better place!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Doc View Post
    I Started a "Post photos of your cracked stems" thread on this forum and am guessing that we will see fewer than half a dozen non-Thomson stems posted there.

PROVE ME WRONG

Until then: THOMSON'S CURRENT STEM DESIGN = FAIL!!!
    Still trolling around these boards I see. You and I both know how long you have been doing this. I have watched you for years on here. The only time you ever poke your head in is to get people riled up. Go back to your bake sale and leave these topics to the professionals.

mtbr member
    And then it was gone.
    Oh well, I've learned my lesson. Next time I want to call somebody a cock I'll do it via the rep system. Just like the rest of the anonymous cowards.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by nuffink View Post
    And then it was gone.
    Oh well, I've learned my lesson. Next time I want to call somebody a ***** I'll do it via the rep system. Just like the rest of the anonymous cowards.
    srsly?

I though maybe...just maybe you mistyped...so I give you the benefit of doubt

Now you go on here and blabiddy-blab-blab that you openly break forum rules in a thread where a mod is posting....

dude

[/facepalm]
    Click Here for Forum Rules

mtbr member

You must be...

Quote Originally Posted by SpinDirt View Post
    Still trolling around these boards I see. You and I both know how long you have been doing this. I have watched you for years on here. The only time you ever poke your head in is to get people riled up. Go back to your bake sale and leave these topics to the professionals.
    You must work for Thomson... If so, get back to work and redesign this crap before you kill someone with it!
    If more people rode more bikes, more places, more often, the world would be a more better place!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nuffink View Post
    And then it was gone.
    Oh well, I've learned my lesson. Next time I want to call somebody a cock I'll do it via the rep system. Just like the rest of the anonymous cowards.
    Great

Big

Cock

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Yep it's amazing what a little Google action will reveal.
    Stem Cell Research News from Medical News Today
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by womble View Post
    CNC just isn't a good idea for bike parts that need to be strong. I went off the idea of CNC stems when my metalluragist buddy found a crack across his Thompson faceplace. Sure, he doesn't use a torque wrench, but he's not stupid about how he treats metals either. On the other hand, I've been riding for years with forged stems with the nuts cranked down about as hard as possible with no problems.
    This is from a different forum but this guy nailed it to a T;

"The problem is, the notion that forging will make a stronger product these days is also often wrong. The problem with forging is that is can also weaken the metal involved. If your forging process reintroduces additional impurities into the metal or the temperatures on both heating and cooling aren't as well controlled you can end up with a weaker piece of metal than what you started with. This may be more prevalent with steels but I wouldn't be surprised to see it be the case with other metals also.

It's just simply the case that the precision of making base metal stock that it's much harder to improve than it used to be. We are better at controlling the environment and fewer impurities enter the process. Outside of china and cheap grade metals, we just make too good and too consistent of metals to start with anymore.

The most important decider of strength will be the original metal selection. The manufacturing process likely matters much less(although casting will still likely have more cooling/purity issues). For all intents an purposes, with the same amount of metal and the same type of metal, a billet and a forged product will likely have similar strengths.

Billet is mostly for looks/features."
    Killing it with close inspection.

Turns right to go left
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Doc View Post
    I have been a bike mechanic for over 40 years, and a hardcore freerider type for most of that time, and have only seen two cracked stems of any brand.
    You have been hardcore freerider type for most of the last 40 years?

mtbr member
    I am resurrecting this to say that the Thomson Elite stem that I bought new in 2002 now has a cracked faceplate. Thomson customer service told me it is old and should be retired, have a nice day. How do they know the amount of use on this stem? Does that matter? What if the stem was on a bike that sat for a few years? I will not buy a Thomson faceplate to replace the old guy. Moving on to another manufacturer.

This stem was being used on a 1997 Trek carbon hard tail that I bought new, that carbon frame has a lifetime warranty that I have never had to act on (knock wood) and still ride regularly.
    You will be scarred for life if you click my avatar

Big Mac

Cracked Thomson Stem

Quote Originally Posted by dickeydoo View Post
    I am resurrecting this to say that the Thomson Elite stem that I bought new in 2002 now has a cracked faceplate. Thomson customer service told me it is old and should be retired, have a nice day. How do they know the amount of use on this stem? Does that matter? What if the stem was on a bike that sat for a few years? I will not buy a Thomson faceplate to replace the old guy. Moving on to another manufacturer.

This stem was being used on a 1997 Trek carbon hard tail that I bought new, that carbon frame has a lifetime warranty that I have never had to act on (knock wood) and still ride regularly.
    It's 11 yrs. old. Retire it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dickeydoo View Post

Out of curiosity, did your stem have a lot of use on it? A lot can happen over 11 years with a stem. Did you make many adjustments, change handlebars etc over the years?
    Killing it with close inspection.

gobsmacked Moderator

Cracked Thomson Stem

This thread is back! Ooof!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FireLikeIYA View Post
    Out of curiosity, did your stem have a lot of use on it? A lot can happen over 11 years with a stem. Did you make many adjustments, change handlebars etc over the years?
    I did switch it from one bike to another one time but once switched over it was left alone. Never ever came loose with any re-tightening needed, maybe 2 or 3 crashes but none were very hard.

As far as usage 1 or 2 rides a week (not every week though) on Midwest singletrack in the warm months, Sadly, I live an hour away from any decent off-road riding so I ride my road bike probably more than my mtnbk.
    Last edited by dickeydoo; 08-01-2013 at 04:37 AM.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    It's 11 yrs. old. Retire it.
    Yep

All fat, all the time.
    Thomson is the only one I've cracked as well.....meh....won't buy another.

mtbr member
    How I feel too. Had an X4 in 2010. Torqued to spec and ended up cracking after a few rides. Got a replacement plate and sold it. First and only stem failure in 23yrs of MTB-ing. $15 forged Raceface is what I replaced it with. 2-3yrs, no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Thomson is the only one I've cracked as well.....meh....won't buy another.
    - The only thing that keeps me on a bike is happiness.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Just examining the FS rig before an event and, well, I'll be dipped...broken X4 faceplate. Former pro mechanic here and an OCD install, 4nm, brought up slowly in an X-pattern, no grease on the bolts.

I have another bike with the same stem and went to swap faceplates and, well, dip me twice. It's broken too.

The other dozen bikes around here? No worries (including one Thomson X2 road).

Thomson says send 'em in and they'll replace for free, which is sporting of them. I'll do it, and while I'm waiting I'm gonna be stem shopping.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    goin on 2014. Easton Haven beats X4. Yes, I have both.

Sergeant Spandex
    I have had this stem for many years however today:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cracked Thomson Stem-broken-thompson.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisfoto View Post
    OMG, never seen that before.

I bet if you contacted them you could get a warranty claim.

[/sarcasm]

Seeing double on that post.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 11-25-2013 at 10:56 AM.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    At the moment I have 9 Thomson stems in use (17 seat post too) zero problems with any of them..

Working on highend shops I install/work on tons of them and never crack one, in fact I only saw two of the faceplates broken but the where fix right away by Thomson, yes over torque was the issue on the two cases..

I do agree that maybe they need to make a faceplate "for dummies" or maybe cold forge them since is such a important part in terms of safety..

Quote Originally Posted by lewisfotled the # on the face plate and theo View Post
    They had a face plate recall way back around 2002'. I bet yours has a machined ridge on the inside edge. If so it's one of the ones recalled. All I did was emailed them the # printed on it and they confirmed it was part of the recall and sent me a new and improved face plate. Mine never failed but I heard of the recall and took precautionary measures. My updated one has been going strong since 2002'.

slow
    In 28 years of mountain biking, I've only cracked one face plate. (Of course, for many of those years, stems did not have removable face plates.) Brands I have used with no face plate problems include Easton, Thomson, and Bontrager along with some no-name stuff. That being said, I only ride about 2500-3000 miles of dirt a year.Cracked Thomson Stem-raceface.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

No good

Quite a few members here still preaching Thomson despite the numerous stem failures. A quick google search yielded alarming numbers of cracked faceplates and stems.

Thomson Failure

Cracked Thomson faceplate !!!!

Good Parts gone bad III... Thomson x4 stem | 29er Online

Thomson X2 Stem Breakage ???

the list continues....

Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    In 28 years of mountain biking, I've only cracked one face plate. (Of course, for many of those years, stems did not have removable face plates.) Brands I have used with no face plate problems include Easton, Thomson, and Bontrager along with some no-name stuff. That being said, I only ride about 2500-3000 miles of dirt a year.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Raceface.jpg 
Views:	1102 
Size:	157.9 KB 
ID:	849664

That's a lot of miles around Horsetooth.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by patineto View Post
    At the moment I have 9 Thomson stems in use (17 seat post too) zero problems with any of them..

Working on highend shops I install/work on tons of them and never crack one, in fact I only saw two of the faceplates broken but the where fix right away by Thomson, yes over torque was the issue on the two cases..

I do agree that maybe they need to make a faceplate "for dummies" or maybe cold forge them since is such a important part in terms of safety..
    So if you have 9 stems in use... someone with 1 bike and 1 stem might get significantly more use from their single bike then you with several to choose from..

I just have no desire for a Thomson stem (Although I do use their seatpost and clamp). There are stems that are lighter, 1/3 the price, that have significantly less documented breakage out there.
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

long time listener
    Quote Originally Posted by SandSpur View Post
    I just have no desire for a Thomson stem (Although I do use their seatpost and clamp). There are stems that are lighter, 1/3 the price, that have significantly less documented breakage out there.
    What stems are you referring to? I'm in the market for a stem (and handlebars) to replace my stock Giant-branded ones.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbruner View Post
    What stems are you referring to? I'm in the market for a stem (and handlebars) to replace my stock Giant-branded ones.
    I've had thomson, chromag, raceface...now rocking a Syntace Megaforce2 stem. It is the lightest/strongest out there - coupled it with some RF carbon bars.
    I'd consider running Chromag, the Easton Haven or Raceface for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    OMG, never seen that before.

I bet if you contacted them you could get a warranty claim.

[/sarcasm]
    Actually THOMSON customer support is very, very good...and really easy to deal with.

I have broken 2 faceplates and 1 stem*....they replaced 1 faceplate, and 1 stem....1 faceplate i was on the hook for (like $10).

They pointed out to me that although I was using a torque wrench, I was using the BB big style of wrench which may have thrown off numbers when torquing so low. I have since then purchased a mini wrench specifically for torquing stems and other lower specs....

* i ride like a twerking epileptic gorilla.....

Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    Actually THOMSON customer support is very, very good...and really easy to deal with.

I have broken 2 faceplates and 1 stem*....they replaced 1 faceplate, and 1 stem....1 faceplate i was on the hook for (like $10).

They pointed out to me that although I was using a torque wrench, I was using the BB big style of wrench which may have thrown off numbers when torquing so low. I have since then purchased a mini wrench specifically for torquing stems and other lower specs....

* i ride like a twerking epileptic gorilla.....
    CHUM they also had a Recall on face plates back in 2002' which had a machined ridge on the inside of the plate. Read my post below.

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    CHUM they also had a Recall on face plates back in 2002' which had a machined ridge on the inside of the plate. Read my post below.
    I read it - mine were not part of any recall (they were several years old)....

Good product and service from THOMSON in my opinion....they're just not for me anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    I read it - mine were not part of any recall (they were several years old)....

Good product and service from THOMSON in my opinion....they're just not for me anymore.
    What are you running in place of Thomson?
    I have had nothing but good to say about their product and customer service.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbruner View Post
    Comparing a 100mm X4 stem to the cheapest FSA OS-190 stem... X4 is 160 grams and FSA is 150 grams. $90 vs $23. and while some say the X4 is designed stronger.. a stem is only as strong as its weakest part.
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

No Stranger to danger....
    Thomson stems = over rated, over hyped.

Plenty of companies that make great stems, straitline makes fine stems, as do many others..
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post
    I've had thomson, chromag, raceface...now rocking a Syntace Megaforce2 stem. It is the lightest/strongest out there - coupled it with some RF carbon bars.
    And what are you basing the "strongest" out there claim?

Not flaming - I honestly want to know if there is a neutral test with published results.

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Thomson stems = over rated, over hyped.

Plenty of companies that make great stems, straitline makes fine stems, as do many others..
    I've been a Thomson stem/seatpost user for many years now. No issues to date. One of the reasons I went with Thomson is the recessed stem bolts as I've had a habit of catching those bolts with my knees BT (before Thomson) during some tight climbing.
    What would be a recommended brand that covers the strong/reliable and recessed bolts requirement?
    Don't harsh my mello

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I've been a Thomson fan since my days working at Klein. We had spec'd the Thomson seatpost for our Mantras (as well as our other high end bikes) but found that we couldn't get the saddle nose level due to the very laid back seat tube angle on that bike. I called up Mr Thomson, described the problem and he said that he would look into a solution. The very next day he called up saying that he had a solution that could be retrofitted to the posts we already had - and that he had 500 of them already in UPS's hands on the way to us.

You can't beat service like that, so I have been a fan ever since.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Cracked mine today exactly the same way as @lewisfoto picture. (moved between bikes and used torque wrench with proper torque)

This is the first bike part which broken for me in the past 16 years. The X4 stem faceplate badly designed, what if this happens during ride?! (The crack appeared after 30minutes of install, hopefully not yet started riding)

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    you don't need a torque wrench to tighten a faceplate over a carbon fiber bar. (im guessing your using a carbon bar) It's a part defect.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stmarti View Post
    Cracked mine today exactly the same way as @lewisfoto picture. (moved between bikes and used torque wrench with proper torque)

This is the first bike part which broken for me in the past 16 years. The X4 stem faceplate badly designed, what if this happens during ride?! (The crack appeared after 30minutes of install, hopefully not yet started riding)
    Years ago I had the same thing occur - cracked X4 faceplate on a silver Thompson stem. Got a replacement from them, sold it and never looked back.

Raceface, Kore, Easton, Truvativ, Sette; used them all and never had a failure. Not saying Thompson is bad or whatever. But I have zero reason to buy their product.
    - The only thing that keeps me on a bike is happiness.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Cracked my X4 recently - 2 longitudinal cracks on both the top and bottom of the stem. Thought about warrantying it, but I've had it for years. Today, my Masterpiece seat post cracked. I've had this one for a few years as well, but I'm going to try to warranty it anyway. I just purchased a bunch of new Thomson parts for a new build and now I regret it. I've never broken any other parts and am pretty disappointed.

Nothing seems to kill me
    I ran Thomson stems and layback post for years and never had any issues. Everything fatigues.
    Now I am a fan of Renthal, Spank and Deity stems. There are so many choices out there. I am sure Thomson stuff is just as good or better than most.
    "I don't know half of you half as well as I would like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." Bilbo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CUP-TON View Post
    I am sure Thomson stuff is just as good or better than most.
    I duno. I've never heard of any other stem cracking like that. Here you have a bunch of people suffering exactly the same failure?

Nothing seems to kill me
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    I duno. I've never heard of any other stem cracking like that. Here you have a bunch of people suffering exactly the same failure?
    Good point. They used to be the standard back in the day. What is the average age of these stem failing? I know I had some Thomson stem forever and back in the day I am sure I never torqued them properly as most people probably still do not.
    But now I do regardless if I am running carbon or alloy bars.
    "I don't know half of you half as well as I would like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." Bilbo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CUP-TON View Post
    What is the average age of these stem failing?
    I couldn't tell you, I've never seen one fail! You can crank the bolts up until the threads strip but it won't break the face-plate.

I reckon it has to be a fundamental design flaw in that plate. Curvature wrong or something like that. Maybe just too thin. Top brands often boast the lightest parts but removing metal can be taken too far.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Members who have read this thread: 11