CAK
    Reign Rider

Cove Handjob Frame Q's

Anyone have one of these? Hows the quality? Are they heavy? Looking for a nice XC/Trail frame.

Thanks

mtbr member

Handjob

Howdy Cak,

I not long ago purchased myself a Cove HandjobXC frame set, from adam@southshorebikes.com - Cove's Australian importer. And I must say I am impressed with the frame's quaility, it's well made thats for sure and it looks like it will last a fair while too. The welds are pretty good, and all the dimentions and angles are your fairly standard XC/Trail issue.

I got the 17.5" frame size as I was after a smallish headtube, plus the angles / lengths were pretty close to my Avanti, which I had spend the last year riding around. Their frames look really small though, when I opened the box I thought I had be sent the 15.5" size frame. Looks CAN be decieveing: Once forks, wheels, stem and post were on the bike it was clear that it was perfect size. This is probably due to the slopping top tube (loads of clearance), and the thin nature of the tubing used.

Gripes: The lack of clear coating is disapointing, you'd think with the steel frame it would be something done at the factory... Cove will replace stickers and whatnot. But I would recommend getting it clear-coated for extra protection.

Apparently there are some duds going around too, if you believe the MTBR.com reviews. The good out weigh the bad though, have never had a problem with CoveBikes themselves or Adam, their Importer- I have also noticed alot of these "duds" were purchased at JensonUSA

Weight: Mine (17.5") weighed in at 1950 grams, thats with the bottle cage bolts, and the seat tube collar, you could probably save upto 30grams with a new collar, as the stock QR collar weighed 52grams. Overall not bad for a steel framed hardtail IMO.

Ride: Cant tell you that one just yet, as the last peice to the puzzle is stilll on the way Should know by the end of the week though

I hope I helped some.
    -Cul

you can PM me if your after more specific info, or MSN me, cul_baire@hotmail.com is my "I M" Addy.
    Cul is a regretted trademark of the CulBaire Co'op Pty Ltd, as are his random ramblings and associated bullshit.

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    CulBaire posted a little more info on his here:

Cove Bikes Thread

I now have an old Cove Hummer so can't help you with the HJ.

I know there are a couple of other guys with HJs on the boards. Check the review pages too.