mtbr member

Counterfeit WTB saddle?

I have not contacted the seller yet on this but I wanted to get some feedback first. I ordered this item off of ebay. It's an OEM version of the WTB Devo with cromo rails. here's the same item on the sellers site
    The saddle looks nice but after only 50 miles or so, the saddle is showing noticeable signs of wear. I've owned numerous WTB saddles from every price point in their lineup and none have worn this quickly. The thing that is setting me off is that I can't find any mention of a cromo or "team" version of this saddle anywhere other than this seller. Anyone have experience with this model? should I contact the seller?

Last edited by Hudnut; 06-09-2012 at 06:26 AM. Reason: resize

mtbr member
    I didn't really have a problem with the seller. they shipped quickly. communicated well. I'm more concerned with the product. it was very inexpensive so I guess it may come down to "you get what you pay for"

U sayin' Bolt ?
    Seller looks pretty legit outta Boise, 1-800-554-BOBS

mtbr member
    May 2008
    My 08 Trance X came with oem devo saddle with cr-mo rails on it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Craptasticycle View Post
    My 08 Trance X came with oem devo saddle with cr-mo rails on it
    How does it look? Is it wearing like in the photos above?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Don't recall for sure, it had some noticeable scuffs on it but was black so maybe didn't show the wear as much? I rode on it for a couple years before replacing it. I actually liked the fit a lot, just went back to a devo saddle recently but got the ti rail version this time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    There are a lot of counterfeit WTB saddles on ebay. The easiest way to tell is that they are not the same weight as that specified by WTB. Also they seem to have saddles with titanium rails or CroMo rails that WTB does not offer those type of rails with. However the fake ones are almost always coming from China and I have bought from Bobs before and always got legit stuff, so in this case it could just be a cheap OEM version. But I also have had a lot of WTB saddles and never had any issues like that.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

Wēk Ss
    I bought a fake WTB saddle for my son, from Asia (can't recall exactly). It doesn't quite have the color schemes of the real one. I knew this going in, as I was going for weight and padding. Weight is as advertised (but heavier than the real one by about 20g).

Anyhow, I bought a similar saddle as yours. I haven't installed it. I bought the NiCro version. I have no reason to believe it is fake yet. But, from what I understand the Devo saddles do wear faster. I have a real Devo saddle with Ti rails as well, FWIW. I bought the NiCro for a different bike, and have been too lazy to install it. I can't tell about the wear on my Ti Devo, it's all dirty. It's a white seat with red highlights. The white is covered in dirt, and I haven't cleaned it. It looks like poop stains, btw. I need to hit it with a leather cleaner, as water didn't get it off (I hose down my bikes).

WTB don't advertise these saddles, but it doesn't mean it's fake.

Performance Bike sells a WTB Deva saddle with NiCro rails. I bought that for my wife's bike. I don't believe Performance Bike will sell fakes, and I also believe WTB would have OEM versions for large orders.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith View Post
    There are a lot of counterfeit WTB saddles on ebay. The easiest way to tell is that they are not the same weight as that specified by WTB. Also they seem to have saddles with titanium rails or CroMo rails that WTB does not offer those type of rails with. However the fake ones are almost always coming from China and I have bought from Bobs before and always got legit stuff, so in this case it could just be a cheap OEM version. But I also have had a lot of WTB saddles and never had any issues like that.
    A 20g difference in weight is well within manufacturing variations and is not a valid way to spot a counterfeit product.

There can be many OEM versions of saddles and other components that are official product with different details, but not be listed in a company's catalogs.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Sit on it, and forget it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    It could be that the saddle got out of the manufacture without the quality testes. It is almost sure that this saddle has been built in loan system and nobody checked it before getting on the market. I guess it could be useful to send WTB an e-mail with the pictures with the saddle and the address of the shop you bought from.