Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    mtbr member
    May 2011

Shop talk

Checkout the Northrock Shop Talk...
    I had my XC6 over a year, awesome bike.

Northrock Bike - Shop Talk
    Last edited by lov2bike01; 06-07-2012 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Wrong post...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Hi. I'm looking to spend around $500 or less. I'm fat, about 335lb and looking to lose weight. I recently lost 40lbs riding on a recumbent exercise bike and I hate doing that when I don't have to. I'm also fairly confident I can get below < 300 by mid July and < 275 by September. I used to ride a lot in my youth. I have a fairly level trail with some gravel from time to time by my area, no crazy jumps.

Would you guys recommend either the Northrock XC6 that's about $350 or the Forge Sawback 5xxx from Target for around $500?

The only reason I'm leaning towards the Costco bike is that I was able to try it in their aisle and it seemed decent for the short "ride", especially the brakes. I once lived in Europe and bought a cheap bike off the internet instead of the LBS which seemed expensive, and it was a complete PITA, so I shy away from internet specials.
    Last edited by wolfstemp; 06-12-2012 at 11:07 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I would think both would work out well for you. The Forge has higher quality parts than the Northrock, but for your purpose I would save my money and get the Northrock. Again, both would work (and it appears the Forge would be the better of the two) but I'd buy the Northrock because of the savings.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Ok, thanks for the answer. But what does higher quality mean? I once read that in the low end, it simply meant reduced weight and at the high end (multiple 1,000s dollars) the components may actually way more than the class immediately below them but were built for more strength.

Where I was living in Europe, it was mountainous, I was obviously much lighter (~200), but climbing hills I stretched out and broke the chain many times on the cheap PoS (I was too stupid to replace it and opted to continually fix it at the time).

So on the Sawback Forge, are we talking simply lighter weight components which obviously won't make a wit of difference for me, or heavier duty?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfstemp View Post
    Ok, thanks for the answer. But what does higher quality mean? I once read that in the low end, it simply meant reduced weight and at the high end (multiple 1,000s dollars) the components may actually way more than the class immediately below them but were built for more strength.

Where I was living in Europe, it was mountainous, I was obviously much lighter (~200), but climbing hills I stretched out and broke the chain many times on the cheap PoS (I was too stupid to replace it and opted to continually fix it at the time).

So on the Sawback Forge, are we talking simply lighter weight components which obviously won't make a wit of difference for me, or heavier duty?
    I may come across as sounding like I know exactly what I'm talking about, but I really don't. Having said that, I do know that for instance, the derailleurs and brakes are straight up better than the Northrocks. Front shock too. You're probably saving a little weight over the Northrock which weighs 32 pounds but when you're talking about paying more for weight savings that's in the much higher end stuff; down here in the budget bike section you're spending 50 bucks more for a shock built with better materials and tighter tolerances, not $400 more on one that's 10 ounces lighter (and still capable of absorbing EXTREME punishment).

Weight savings in our case may be present but is negligible.

I am extremely satisfied with my Northrock. Reviews online show that most people are extremely satisfied with their Sawbacks as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    No problem. The nice thing about the internet is getting to avoid mistakes, but I've been researching this and bumped up with information overload and getting angsty over things I won't know until I actually buy one or the other.

I guess I'll just pull the trigger, get the Northrock, if I don't like it, I'll just return it and get the other one. If it lasts me a year and a half, that'd be great. Hopefully I'm into it more and can commit to something more expensive that I'd want, like a crank forward of some type.

Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    It seems to me from the comments, this would be an excellent beginner MB for the price so long as its assembled and tuned correctly, either by a bike shop or someone who knows what they are doing. And only the elitists who swear by bike shops only and spit on anything less then $600 seem to discourage the Northrock without ever looking it, simply because its sold by a box store.

After reading most of the posts in this thread I've made a list of considerations.
    1. $300 is a very good price for a beginner bike with the components the Northrock has.
    2. My Costco has these un-assembled, still in the box, so I can have it more easily have it assembled and tuned at a bike shop or my neighbor who is in to such things.
    3. Most people who have purchased this bike and had it properly tuned, seem to be quite happy with it.
    4. In the end, if I ride if for a while and it doesn't cut it, I can take it back, get a refund and then save up to get a low end Specialized or something similar for $600+.
    5. Almost anything is better than the second hand garage sale p.o.s. I currently posses.

Goon de Saint Goonery
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bessmertni View Post
    It seems to me from the comments, this would be an excellent beginner MB for the price so long as its assembled and tuned correctly, either by a bike shop or someone who knows what they are doing. And only the elitists who swear by bike shops only and spit on anything less then $600 seem to discourage the Northrock without ever looking it, simply because its sold by a box store.

After reading most of the posts in this thread I've made a list of considerations.
    1. $300 is a very good price for a beginner bike with the components the Northrock has.
    2. My Costco has these un-assembled, still in the box, so I can have it more easily have it assembled and tuned at a bike shop or my neighbor who is in to such things.
    3. Most people who have purchased this bike and had it properly tuned, seem to be quite happy with it.
    4. In the end, if I ride if for a while and it doesn't cut it, I can take it back, get a refund and then save up to get a low end Specialized or something similar for $600+.
    5. Almost anything is better than the second hand garage sale p.o.s. I currently posses.
    And here we have a guy going on the false premise that you can't get "a low end Specialized or something" for less than $600.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache249 View Post
    And here we have a guy going on the false premise that you can't get "a low end Specialized or something" for less than $600.
    You can get a low end Specialized for much less than $600, but it won't be equipped like the Northrock. A Specialized similarly equipped starts at around $550.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    These are good bikes regardless of the name on the frame. It uses older tech Shimano and Tektro components and they work just fine. For any serious outdoor trail riding, I would upgrade the tubes right away and down the road, I would replace the forks with anything with more than 80mm of travel. Who cares what some people say, because, if it doesn't say Giant, Cannondale, Specialized or Trek on the frame they're gonna rag on it.

That being said, I have my eye on a new Felt Mountain Bike for my significant other, from a local Bike Shop (The only reason I'm considering it, is because Felt is a local Irvine Bike Company.) I'll stick with the Forge as its going strong after almost 2 yrs and about 300 miles of trail riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I'm in northern va and I pulled the trigger on a Northrock xc29 the one with 17.5 frame. So I paid around $530 including taxes and had a local shop assembled it. I like the bike, the looks, the size, but there are two things that bothered me the front derailler and the brakes rubbing a little. The front derrailer does not shift correctly, it won't shift to the big sprocket or the small sprocket depending on the adjustment. I went to the shop back for an adjustment and while it shifts correclty on the rack, it does not shift correclty while riding. After the shop couldn't get it right, I went home and I did the adjustment myself, the first time was getting closer to a good shift, my later adjustment messed everything up. Anyone knows a good shop or bike builder in northern Va?

mtbr member
    I got the Northrock XC-6 (from Costco) because I wanted something new (my last bike was with me for about 16 years......and showed it). I also chose this bike due to price (Im about to close a new house soon and wanted to keep spending down and figured it being from Costco, it would "evolve" as parts broke and I replaced them. I was shocked though when the left pedal completely fell apart after only three days of street riding! Street riding.....the bearings fell out, the whole platform rattlled and now I need new pedals. I had planned on replacing and upgrading parts to improve the bike over time but 3 days....? WOW!

So, can someone recommend, good, flat lightweight replacement pedals?

mtbr member
    I'm new to mountain biking and I bought one of these at a swap meet in San Diego for $200. I thought it was ok until I rode a friends Diamond Back 29er with dual suspension, down a rocky road yesterday. I still had fun but mine bounced around a lot and I had to descend much slower than the DB.

Now I'm debating on selling it for $200 and buying different bike. I'm in the process of reading the pages for beginners and upgrades that can be done on a Cannondale Super V 2000 because I saw one on Craigslist.

I think I got a good deal for $200.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    You get what you pay for. However, that doesn't mean you should pay mor more than you will need or reasonably expect to use. This is especially so if you have financial concerns.

If you buy more than you can afford, you will quickly come to resent having done so.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce in SoCal View Post
    You get what you pay for. However, that doesn't mean you should pay mor more than you will need or reasonably expect to use. This is especially so if you have financial concerns.

If you buy more than you can afford, you will quickly come to resent having done so.
    Thanks. I still had a great time with the cheap bike. The ride was the only issue. I just got an email from someone who said modifying a Super V would be costly (I saw a V on craigslist). So, I think I'll have fun with the Costco bike while I'll read and learn about the bikes. Maybe I'll get something better next year. (If I ride enough to justify the cost). Thanks

'11 Opus Strat
    This thread is giving me a headache. Cheers.
    Quote Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
    I'm surprised you could hear her complaining over the sound of the vacuum.

mtbr member
    Just completed another round of upgrades; Hope XC 90mm stem w/10 deg rise brought me closer to the bike & Crank Bros Iodine 11AM bars (680)........the bike is now lighter, more responsive, fits me better and turns quicker.....so worth it !

And overall the Northrock has been put through its paces and proven to be an inexpensive, fun, capable XC/light trail bike

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SDCA View Post
    I'm new to mountain biking...

Now I'm debating on selling it for $200 and buying different bike...
    I would just ride what you have for a while and then you will better understand what want later on.

And.... This might sound a little strange but I think that learning on a less than perfect piece of equipment teaches you to be a better rider. Skill is more important, your bike is less forgiving than a more expensive one.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Jenson sent me a bike with the fork on backwards.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Just wanted to say that I have had my Northrock XC6 for3 years now and I have had NO major component failures until now. With over 2100 miles on the bike, I think the bottom bracket is finally giving up the ghost. The only things I have replaced on the XC6 are the pedals (I prefer wider BMX style platform pedals), grips (I added ergo grips), and tires/tubes (after the WTB tires wore out, I replaced them with heavy duty SlimeTubes and Panaracer Fire XC Pro tires). I am looking to replace my rims/hubs and a new fork as the Suntour is just too inadequate. Overall, after tuning and adjusting, the bike has performed admirably for such a "cheap" bike. I hope I can get another 2000 miles out of it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by LUVMYRT View Post
    a new fork as the Suntour is just too inadequate. Overall, after tuning and adjusting, the bike has performed admirably for such a "cheap" bike. I hope I can get another 2000 miles out of it.
    Nick at Suntour will give you a Raidon air fork for 200 through the upgrade program he set up for riders with your fork.

If you want to upgrade your Suntour fork

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5