Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by zoomroom
    I bought one of these and had it in the north country of AZ this weekend and it performed well. I used to ride KHS and Klein and have to say I was surprised that this bike, once adjusted, felt very very similar to what I remember $1500 bikes riding like 20 years ago. My question is about getting some replacement brake pads/discs. it's been more than 15 years since riding seriously and I'm getting back slowly, but the one thing I remember is to get a few spares in case the mfg changes or goes under. Where do you guys get your replacement parts? Who is good? My LBS went away about two years ago, I'm in Phoenix, az but not allergic to using online stores if they're working better.
    thanks
    pb
    You could try Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...tektro+io+pads

Tektro io is a pretty popular brake, so you should have not problem. By the way, did you buy the Costco bike or the Target Bike. The link above is for the Costco Northrock Bike, which has Tektro IOs. I believe the Target has Avid BB5s.

If you are discussing the Costco bike, I have to agree. After dialing everything in myself, I have a pretty decent bike. I had to upgrade the petals (to Shimano 324s) for SPD compatibility, and I upgraded the seatpost because the zoom that came with it was stupid short. It rides well on technical trails. Fork is decent, not great.

mtbr member
    I had/have that singletrack. I loved it. Still hooked up to my trainer in the basement. I had an old Rock Shox Quadra on it.

mtbr member
    May 2010

costco

I did get the bike at costco. As soon as I sent the previous post I had a brainstorm and checked ebay ... since pads are pretty much commodities. I now have pads until the bike goes to grandkids (my kids are 10 & 12 so ... quite a while away.) I agree with the seat post, short & straight, I'll be getting a bigger post with a 25ish degree angle to set myself comfortable, but for now I get to ride with the kids and they're as amped as I am to get on the trails ... which is what this is about. After the seat post I'll be looking for some bags to put on the back since we're planning some long trips this summer.

oh ... and I failed to slime right away, now I've pulled thorns out and slimed, so I'm little more confident.

DO NOT STOP RIDING! I lost 15 years to riding and never knew how much I missed it until this weekend.

pb

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Nice Bikes - Great Price!

Thank you all for bringing to my attention the Northrock bicycle at Costco. What a fantastic buy. Little about me, I’m retired; worked in a bike shop as a kid, probably before most of you were probably born.

I was looking to buy online, hence how I came to mtbr, when I came across an article on Northrock. On our most recent visit to Costco, my wife and I ventured to the bicycle section. I saw the SC7, 700C Tire men’s comfort bike and the XC6 mountain bike.
    My initial observation is “wow”… brand name specs , nicely designed aluminum frame. After doing some research, I couldn’t find a better deal anywhere. I like the fact I can pick-up at a store, and I really like that Costco backs their products.

What I purchased: The Northrock SC7 and the XC6. The SC7 is for me and I have 50miles on the bike (two weeks old), no problems. The bike has a dependable SHIMANO Altus drivetrain and SHIMANO crank, Tektro brakes and a SOFI suspension, VELO saddle and Kenda tires. Like I said, I used to work in a bike shop – I may be retired but I still know my bikes!

The XC6 is for my grandson, I want to introduce him to biking. The XC6 has a SHIMANO crank, TEKTRO IO disc brakes, WTB saddle, SHIMANO Acera drivetrain, all aluminum frame (nicely built), SR V2 suspension.

Assembly: All parts were assembled correctly. However, I did do my own check just to make sure; I tighten the stem bolt and pedals, and put extra lube on the chain.
    On the XC6 there was minor rubbing on the brakes, back in my days we didn’t have disc brakes (tip: the front disc should be on the same side as the rear – left side if sitting on the saddle). I emailed TEKTRO and they informed me that this is completely normal for a new bike to have some minor break-in rubbing, if continues to adjust the pads, which is very easy (see tektro website). I stretched the cables and did some minor tuning at the barrels, greased the seattube and correctly inflated the tires. Total time for the check was about 20 minutes. And certainly, 20 minutes well spent.

I would suggest doing a check regardless of where you buy a bike. What I love about the internet is that there is plenty information on bicycle adjustments and maintenance (google bicycle assembly or bicycle maintenance). This is very simple and worth learning.

My grandson is enjoying his mountain bike and is showing some promise… it must be in the genes. With our savings we went to a bike shop and bought new helmets, clipless pedals and water cages/bottles. I guess the next thing I need is a bicycle rack for my SC7.
    I am happy to answer any questions you might have about my Northrock - just ask… I give Northrock an A+! (PS: I don’t check email often).

El Pollo Diablo
    Costco employee mini-rant:
    What people are saying about returns at Costco is right...
    we'll take back freaking anything.
    We see tons of bikes coming back, almost all with reasons like "shifter is broken" or 'gears don't work.'
    We take them back because idiots can't tune a freaking derailleur
    (whoever thought that costco would cover a tuneup, you're dead wrong. No way.)
    and then have to destroy the entire bike.
    /end rant

Like I said in a similar thread about Costco bikes, odds are that the stocker who puts it back together isn't a cyclist... hence things being done so wrong.
    For sure get it looked over before you ride one, even if it's 'only' by a shade-tree mechanic.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I agree, today we did 30+ miles as we've done several times, steep rocky terrain and short of a puncture (quickly & easily fixed) this bike has been just like one of my old klein bikes that I paid 10 x as much for.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Hey guys I was at costco today and I saw this bike and I was very impressed with it.

I am planning on buying a bike I have a $300 budget and I couldnt find anything about this bike except here.

I am picking btwn the north rock and the Giant boulder.
    The giant is $30 more

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/...te/3880/36244/

The giant seems to have lower components than the northrock.

Which should I go with?
    Help much appreciated.

Live 2 Ride
    The Forge bikes offer much more bang for the buck then the Costco lineup offers.
    My Bike: '96 Gary Fisher Aquila
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona0197
    The Forge bikes offer much more bang for the buck then the Costco lineup offers.
    The forge is online only and $400

I also only have a $300ish budget.

It's between the Giant boulder $330 at a local bike shop
    or
    the Northrock for $300 at costco. I will see if I can tighten things up.
    (i am a complete noob)

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

New question here. Could use some help folks

Quote Originally Posted by djmacedonas
    Hi BPhil,

Look at the pics I posted. The fork is on correct in those. In those pics, the bike still has some problems. Notably:

- All the cables needed rerouting (done)
    - Pedals need replacing for SPDs (ordered, awaiting arrival)
    - Kickstand needs removal and disposal (not done yet, because it's useful for all of the adjustments I'm still making.

Work with it... I think the bike has good components and a decent frame for the price... once you have it dialed in you'll enjoy it much more.

Oh, and if you can't tell from the pics the fork is in the wrong position if:

-The bracket on the suspension fork is behind the fork (should be in front)
    -The brake disk on front is on the opposite side compared to the back (should be same side)

If the for is backwards, you'll need 2 allen wrenches to fix it. You can get both if you pick up a multi-tool from your LBS. You can get them at Wal-mart or Home Depot as well, and probably cheaper. On of the headset you'll use one allen wrench to remove the bolt and disc. Careful, there is a lockwasher there, don't lose that! Then loosen the two allen bolts holding the handlebar to the stem. Once you do that you can rotate the fork 180 degrees. This is a good time to check the routing of the cables as well. The cables from the right should enter the frame from the left, and the one cable from the left should come in on the right (that cable is for the front derailleur. If this is not the case, then go ahead and carefully remove the handlebar and fix this. It becomes a bit of a puzzle though if you are not careful. Also, mind the fork and the 4 or 5 spacers at the top... once you remove the handlebar assembly the entire fork is free to slip out. Ok, so the routing is (Left to right on the top tube) Rear Brake>Rear Derailleur>Front Derailleur). By the way, you may have to loosen the cables to do this, which means you'll have to readjust EVERYTHING in the end. Not fun. Ok, so everything is routed correctly and the fork is turned correctly, the next step is to reinstall the handlebar on to the stem. Put the headset disc back on, with the allen bolt and lockwasher. Here, ideally, you'll need a torque wrench. Don't ask me how much, I simply don't know, I just turned mine until it wasn't loose anymore, then just a bit tighter. Not too tight...If it's too loose, you'll know right away, by engaging the front brake and rocking the bike back and forth. Finally, make sure the handlebars are centered over the fork and front wheel and tighten the allen bolts.

Alternatively, you can take it to an LBS and pay them to do it, but it might be cheaper to return the bike to Costco and get a new, properly assembled one, from your LBS.

Have fun!

djm
    Hey Djmacedonas and anyone else who can help,
    I just bought the same NorthRock from Costco and this thread is pretty much the only worthwhile hit on google for any decent information on this bike.
    I just used your instructions to verify that the fork is indeed on correctly and that the lines have been run correctly in the proper order from left to right (rear brake then derailer then front derailer).
    Here is my problem that I could really use some help with, the left shifter gets very hard to push when I try to shift to '3' and the right shifter will not shift past '4'. It starts @ '8' and as I click to 7, 6, 5 etc. it gets progressively harder and harder to push till I hit 4 and then no amount of power can make me hit 3. Quite frankly if I was able to hit '3' I think the line will definitely snap and the recoil would potentially kill my cat if it was in the vicinity.

The "manual" that comes with the bike is worthless. Can someone please point me to some easy to follow instructions on how to readjust the line on both derailers?

I've got a decent tool kit and I'm pretty handy with my hands. I work on my car and motorcycle for the usual run of the mill upkeep.... oil changes, brake work, tune ups, gas filter etc. so I'm trainable.

Thanks much.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I have no experience with Giant. I just returned from another ride around piestawa peak here in Phoenix and love the northrock a little more each time.
    do what makes you happy.
    pb

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I will not be doing any hard trails or jumps or anything.

Just riding around my neighboorhood transportation no more than 3 miles.
    I willalso ride off road on smooth trails and grassy parks.

I do not need crazy suspension or forks. I highly doubt I am going to need the parts of the giant. For what I am doing.

I also feel better buying from a LBS with the support even if the parts are lower.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Father's Day present.

My wife bought me the Northrock XC6 from Costco for Father's Day. We went to the Costco by the Portland Airport and I picked out one of the 5 floor models that seemed fairly well put together (3 of the 5 had the forks on backwards so I only had two to choose from).

Got it home and took it around the block a few times, and decided just for peace of mind I would take it into my LBS (Bike Gallery on NE Sandy in PDX) for a look over. They did a 'safety check/re-build' for $65. It rides great now. They were also very complimentary of the components, and one guy at the shop told me that they would sell a similarly equipped bike at their shop for $600+ (he may have just been being nice to a newbie, but doesn't seem like that would help their business).

So basically, I got a decent MB with fairly good components that is now 'professionally' put together and rides well for $365. I think I got a pretty good deal.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Congrats!

As much as I like this bike, I'm going to probably return it to Costco (and after all that work "getting it right"). I could have taken it to an LBS for the $65 rebuild, but there are some things about the bike that have gotten me kind of annoyed.

Number 1: the disc brakes. They stop well enough, but they rub everytime I take the wheel off and put it back on. I have to spend too much time readjusting everything.

Number 2: An anoying noise now from the crank. Also, there appears to be grease leaking from the BB. Not good.

Number 3: The geometry. It was never quite right for me. The top tube appears too short, so I feel kinds scrunched.

Number 4: The name. Northrock. Ugh.

I still think it's a great bike for the price. I recently picked up a craigslist special, a 2007 Motobecane Fly Pro for $200. The RS Pilot SL fork appears to be equally crappy as the Suntour XCT V2 on the Costco bike, but otherwise this used bike is a much better fit for me. The frame is 18" but feels somehow larger (albeit shorter) than the Northrock. The XT gearing is superior, and the bike is fast. Weight is a hair under 23 lbs!!! It is ridiculously light. I too had to take it to the LBS for a tune-up (around $78 because they replaced some worn cables), but now I am truly happy. Even though the brakes are not discs they actually stop far far better than the Discs on the costco bike (go figure).

Here is a write-up I found on the Fly Pro:

http://www.mtnbikeriders.com/2007/10...ly-pro-review/

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I am new to the sport and bought this bike about a month ago, thinking it would work well. I was looking to spend as little as I could because I was new and didn't know how much I would go and everything.

I have had some problems with the bike since I got it, mostly just loose parts and the like, but I did have the chain snap, it doesn't shift right, and the front disc rubs. I think I fixed it yesterday, but I will know for sure once I get back on the trails.

All in all it works pretty well for me for the price. I am hoping that everything that is bad about it will break soon so I can just fix what I need to do and then be good to go. I don't have anything to compare it too really, except my friends specialized hardrock, but it seems to ride just as well for a lot less money.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I have had the bike for about a year now and havent had anytrouble with it at all everything has worked perfectly except for the tires which are cheap so when those went out i got new ones. The brakes work and it shifts through gears flawlessly you will have to do a little adjusting to the brakes and handle bar, for the handle bar is upside down and backwards. For the brakes they seem really weak at first and they will eventually break in.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    So you guys recommend this as a first mountain bike? also any good trails in northern VA?

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by light1 View Post
    So you guys recommend this as a first mountain bike? also any good trails in northern VA?
    No, please check out the bikes at your LBS instead. You'll get a much better quality bike actually put together by real bike mechanics,

Check here for Virginia rides.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    i wouldn't say it is bad for a first bike, but it depends on your budget and how interested you plan on getting into the sport. if you are going to be riding once or twice a month it will be fine, but if you plan on really getting into it, i would recommend something else.

the local forum on here, or cyclingcentralva.org has good info on local trails. fountainhead is supposed to be the best in nova, but i haven't ridden there yet.

better than I deserve
    I work for Costco and the guys that do the stocking put them together and they know absolutely diddle about bikes.

mtbr member
    If you don't want to bother looking for a better deal on Craigslist, I recomend it for your first bike. I have an XC6 and it has held up fine. My nephew has been using it on fireroads and paved bike trails. Has about 500 miles on it and everything is still fine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'll continue looking on CL, I am a CL junkie. This would be mainly my first bike to ride with my sons, nothing dramatic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    How about these, or one of these?

washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/bik/2961056686.html

mtbr member
    May 2012
    First post, but I've followed this thread for awhile along with the few others about the Northrock on MTBR.

I bought a Northrock earlier this month after looking for a mountain bike since October. For the price (and return policy) this bike cannot be beat. I looked all over for a bike with the same specs and they all start at ~$200 more than the Northrock (which is $350 now, at least at my local Costco). Yes, the components are on the lower end of the range, but for a novice like myself who just wanted to get some wheels under me to see how i like mountain biking, I think it is great.

If money is not an issue, yes you absolutely can get a better bike, but I had a very limited budget and will also be taking care of most maintenance myself to keep my costs down. I've taken it out several times and put approx. 40 miles on it and other than a minor tuning of the rear derailleur it's been a GREAT bike. I'll update as I put more miles on it or issues arise.

For someone to say "No, this bike is not recommended for beginners, visit your LBS and spend more for less", probably without ever having seen this bike, blows my mind.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Also, one of the OP's original gripes were the tires. For better or for worse, (can't say as I've never ridden on Kenda Ninja tires) the bike now comes with WTB Moto Raptors. I can say they have performed well for me so far.

Also, the front fork is now a SR Suntour XCT V4 in place of the V2.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast