Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Hey I'm new to mountain biking and absolutely love it! I just bought a Northrock XC6 and i was wondering... How do you know if the fork is on backwards! LOL

i call it a kaiser blade
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BPhil
    Hey I'm new to mountain biking and absolutely love it! I just bought a Northrock XC6 and i was wondering... How do you know if the fork is on backwards! LOL
    the fork needs to be in FRONT of the head tube.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Wait, i thought the head tube is directly connected to the front fork. So if the fork is on incorrectly it will L shape (curve) to the back and not the front? You know what i mean? it kinda has a lil' bend to it

Live 2 Ride
    The dropouts where the wheel is attached should be facing forward.
    My Bike: '96 Gary Fisher Aquila
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Hi BPhil,

Look at the pics I posted. The fork is on correct in those. In those pics, the bike still has some problems. Notably:

- All the cables needed rerouting (done)
    - Pedals need replacing for SPDs (ordered, awaiting arrival)
    - Kickstand needs removal and disposal (not done yet, because it's useful for all of the adjustments I'm still making.

Work with it... I think the bike has good components and a decent frame for the price... once you have it dialed in you'll enjoy it much more.

Oh, and if you can't tell from the pics the fork is in the wrong position if:

-The bracket on the suspension fork is behind the fork (should be in front)
    -The brake disk on front is on the opposite side compared to the back (should be same side)

If the for is backwards, you'll need 2 allen wrenches to fix it. You can get both if you pick up a multi-tool from your LBS. You can get them at Wal-mart or Home Depot as well, and probably cheaper. On of the headset you'll use one allen wrench to remove the bolt and disc. Careful, there is a lockwasher there, don't lose that! Then loosen the two allen bolts holding the handlebar to the stem. Once you do that you can rotate the fork 180 degrees. This is a good time to check the routing of the cables as well. The cables from the right should enter the frame from the left, and the one cable from the left should come in on the right (that cable is for the front derailleur. If this is not the case, then go ahead and carefully remove the handlebar and fix this. It becomes a bit of a puzzle though if you are not careful. Also, mind the fork and the 4 or 5 spacers at the top... once you remove the handlebar assembly the entire fork is free to slip out. Ok, so the routing is (Left to right on the top tube) Rear Brake>Rear Derailleur>Front Derailleur). By the way, you may have to loosen the cables to do this, which means you'll have to readjust EVERYTHING in the end. Not fun. Ok, so everything is routed correctly and the fork is turned correctly, the next step is to reinstall the handlebar on to the stem. Put the headset disc back on, with the allen bolt and lockwasher. Here, ideally, you'll need a torque wrench. Don't ask me how much, I simply don't know, I just turned mine until it wasn't loose anymore, then just a bit tighter. Not too tight...If it's too loose, you'll know right away, by engaging the front brake and rocking the bike back and forth. Finally, make sure the handlebars are centered over the fork and front wheel and tighten the allen bolts.

Alternatively, you can take it to an LBS and pay them to do it, but it might be cheaper to return the bike to Costco and get a new, properly assembled one, from your LBS.

Have fun!

djm

mtbr member
    a lil for adjusting low end mechanical brakes, likt eh tecktro io and hayex mx4 and similar,

is to set the brakes and the cable tension,
    screw the adjuster knob n the brake lever all the way in and then one full turn out
    loosen the bolts that hold the caliper to the frame or fork until you can move them,
    slive the caliper towards the wheel and tighten it a so that it moves but with a lil force
    spin the wheel really fast and sharply pull the brake level
    now check to see if the pads are rubbing
    if they still rub loosed the caliper to frame bolt a lil more and repeat, spin the wheel hard and fast and stop it hard, once the caliper gets a hold of the disk, it uses it and aligns itself to it. once it al alligned, tighten the caliper bolt to the right torque and repeat for the other wheel.

i figured this out today while tunning up my bike and discovered that both disk where rubbing a lil bit, and the wheel wouldnt spin more that10 times before stopping. and after messing with them for a while and seing the lack of adjustment they had, this was the onlly way to keep the disk from rubbing and having a fairly quick brake respoonse

on a side note, it hard to make my rear brake lock up and skid the tire on cement or road, but if i aplly full force on the trails its easy to skid, so i actually keep the brakes dialed out a bit cause im a brake masher
    2009 Giant Yukon FX

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Awesome, Thanks for the help. I lucked out, the fork is on correctly! wooh!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Wow...

I'm in love with my new bike... not the Northrock, I feel pretty neutral about that, but the 15 year old TREK 930 with Marzocchi fork, my god that's a lovely bike. The frame is a bit small (16.5") for me (5'10"), so I plan to give it to my girlfriend. Anyway, I've adjusted everything, and tightened all of the loose bolts on the bike, and now it rides so much smoother and nicer, and quiter than the Northrock. It just goes to show you that 15 year old STX-RC components are probably better than brand new ACERA and SIS.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    dj, want some more advice...? if I read your post right, think I did, and you've been married & divorced within 4 years - why in God's name are you saving uo to buy a house with your girlfriend???

Take your time before getting back on THAT saddle.

Just thought I'd chime in with that. That is all.

mtbr member
    If you going to be doing technical stuff with the northrock you're gonna want to ditch the kick stand. Can be very dangerous riding on trails with one
    1.. 2.. 3... 4...........FIFFFFFFF !!!!!!!!!!

Stay thirsty my friends
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickK
    Wow, $550 for a fuel.... I do envy you. How do I get a deal like that for my wife?
    Heres a Rincon for $500, not dual suspension but a decent starter hardtail with discs and reasonable geo and frame.

http://bikesandbeyond.ca/product/gia...-disc-2894.htm

Its even white! Girls love white bikes. Its likely a few model years old but for a hardtail who cares. My wifes (now my sons Fuel 70) is no high end bike as the suspension design is now discontinued with the new ABP design, still works well though. As long as you don't care about the latest tech there are lots of deals if your willing to look around.

BTW she rides my 2003 Titus Loco Moto now, old tech but a really nice single pivot bike.
    "Say good night to the bad guy."
    Tony Montana
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x_TE...eature=related

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    The kickstand is already gone...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Is this bike worth it? or should i return it and go for a bike from somewhere else, ive seen a lot of posts saying their 10 or 15 year old bike is way better, blah blah. Is this bike a piece of crap or something? It looks like it has quality parts, and disc brakes! but the guy at sport chalet (getting a bike for my gf) said 35 lbs is wayyy to heavy and that i was gonna bottom out a lot. Also what size frame is it? i am 5'11, will that fit me? (also, my gf is 5'6 should she get a 15 or 16?)

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Keep it...

I would keep it...

First of all, the bike is 32 lbs, which isn't too bad, so the guy at the Sports Chalet just wants you to return it so that you buy one of his 32 lb bikes for $200 more. The parts are entry level, decent components and the frame is pretty good.

I find the geometry a bit off for me, and I'm a hair under 5'10"... My earlier comparison to a 15 year old Trek is a bit unfair, though.

I took the Northrock out on a trail the other day (Chimney Rock, NJ). I was a bit rusty but the bike was fine. Actually, I was surprised with how well it climbed, and how well the not-well-regarded Suntour XTC-V2 forks absorbed moderate jumps and roots. I felt it climbed much better than my old Specialized Hard Rock, so that was a pleasant surprise.

As for the geometry, I feel that the seat sits a bit too far forward for my tastes, and I can't get proper leg extension. I plan to upgrade the seat post to something 400mm with a 25mm offset, and that should help. I took off the crappy pedals and put on Shimano M324s.

So my advice, keep it, but make sure everything is dialed in. Then ride it, as hard as you can, and see if you like it (or if you break anything). Costco's return policy will let you use it all Summer, so what do you have to lose?

As for your girlfriend, she should get fitted for a bike. This bike will probably be large for her, since they're all apparently 19". 15" is probably too small.

djm

mtbr member
    If this was FS bike 32 lbs not bad but hardtail at 32 damn a freaking tank Yeah don't listen to a guy from sports chalet just go ride it you will be fine. Having a bike that heavy will make you a stronger rider !! Having to ride that tank around

mtbr member
    Breaking news: Costco bikes, Target and Wal-Mart bikes suck. More at 11.
    :wq

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nachomc
    Breaking news: Costco bikes, Target and Wal-Mart bikes suck. More at 11.
    No way, I would buy the bike based on the tires alone....

Quote Originally Posted by djmacedonas
    Ninja 26x2.10 tires

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BPhil
    Is this bike worth it? or should i return it and go for a bike from somewhere else, ive seen a lot of posts saying their 10 or 15 year old bike is way better, blah blah. Is this bike a piece of crap or something? It looks like it has quality parts, and disc brakes! but the guy at sport chalet (getting a bike for my gf) said 35 lbs is wayyy to heavy and that i was gonna bottom out a lot. Also what size frame is it? i am 5'11, will that fit me? (also, my gf is 5'6 should she get a 15 or 16?)

Wow, that is one of the most ridiculous things I think I've ever heard. First, what does he mean by bottom out? Second, I'm assuming he means you'll use up the fork travel too often. Uh, a few extra pounds on a bike is not going to make that happen. The rider makes up so much more of the total bike/rider weight that the weight difference in bikes is almost inconsequential (within reason). Plus the rider has a huge affect on center of gravity of the system. I doubt you could even measure a difference in the sag in the same fork with the same rider on a 32 lb bike and a 28 lb bike.

And yes, I realize I just engaged in a third hand internet argument with an unknown Sports Chalet employee, but some things are just too stupid for me not to jump at.

David B.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    HAHAHA ok, thanks for the advice guys. gotta love the internet, hilarious posts. Ya, f sport chalet and their employees, im staying with my northrock! gonna go gank some mountain lions!

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by djmacedonas
    I would keep it...

First of all, the bike is 32 lbs, which isn't too bad, so the guy at the Sports Chalet just wants you to return it so that you buy one of his 32 lb bikes for $200 more. The parts are entry level, decent components and the frame is pretty good.

I find the geometry a bit off for me, and I'm a hair under 5'10"... My earlier comparison to a 15 year old Trek is a bit unfair, though.

I took the Northrock out on a trail the other day (Chimney Rock, NJ). I was a bit rusty but the bike was fine. Actually, I was surprised with how well it climbed, and how well the not-well-regarded Suntour XTC-V2 forks absorbed moderate jumps and roots. I felt it climbed much better than my old Specialized Hard Rock, so that was a pleasant surprise.

As for the geometry, I feel that the seat sits a bit too far forward for my tastes, and I can't get proper leg extension. I plan to upgrade the seat post to something 400mm with a 25mm offset, and that should help. I took off the crappy pedals and put on Shimano M324s.

So my advice, keep it, but make sure everything is dialed in. Then ride it, as hard as you can, and see if you like it (or if you break anything). Costco's return policy will let you use it all Summer, so what do you have to lose?

As for your girlfriend, she should get fitted for a bike. This bike will probably be large for her, since they're all apparently 19". 15" is probably too small.

djm
    x2................ride it!
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

banned
    May 2010
    It looks like the all the Costcos around my town just carry entry level bikes. Stuff that you see people riding at the beach. I always thought all the Costcos had the same inventory but I guess not.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Here is the used 15 year-old trek:

Trek 930 Front

Trek 930

Excellent Bike!

Live 2 Ride
    I love the older bikes. That Trek is in great shape.
    My Bike: '96 Gary Fisher Aquila
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    It really is. There are a few chips on the paint, with rust, if you look closely. The fork leaks air on the left side, but I bought a fork pump. Someday I may rebuild it. The bike is solid. I changed seats, and put on a girly A.R.S. seat. I replaced the pedals with the crappy plastic ones from the Northrock, at least until she is comfortable with the bike to ride with toe clips.

Riding the bike makes me long for the beautiful simplicity of my hard rock. Everytime I remove the front wheel on my Northrock, I have to suffer to realign it so the brake doesn't rub.

mtbr member
    YIKES grip shift

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast