clutch
    Jul 2014

Corners....Rocks and loose dirt

My Riding area has a lot of flat rock and the turns are loose rock or dirt. I feel like I have to break to much and lose speed on turns that make the following climb difficult any suggestions?

My current set is a hardtail with Fox forks on the front, I have a faster back tire and the front with deeper knobs. I ride with clip ins so I really do not want to go down on the rocks. Should I trust the tire and lean into the turn and hope it tracks? Could use some pointers...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    What pressure are you running in the tires? Are the corners flat,off camber,or bermed? Are you sliding either tire?Where is your weight on the bike?Maybe try a meatier back tire.

Professional Crastinator
    If your traction conditions vary a lot, learn which areas offer the best traction and try to do all your turning and braking on those spots. You pretty much aim your bike from good traction spot to good traction spot. In between, you just go straight. Sometimes it results in squared-off turns, or angled turns instead of smooth arcs, but that's OK. If you get good at it, you might find that you can slide a bit on the loose stuff and gather it all up where the tires bite to carry more speed. You can also make direction changes off small rocks, and use thin edges as mini berms. Trees work, too.
    Don't forget to get low, lean the bike, and stay on top of it with that inside arm extended and the outside pedal down.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

clutch
    Jul 2014
    I do not remember the pressure right now but the front is a bit higher pressure than the back. And the corners are either flat or have a small berm. I dont slide the tire if i can help it. Should I be?

clutch
    Jul 2014
    Tire is a 2.3 in the front and a 2.1 in the back