Cool New Tandem

Printable View

• 02-12-2013
    modifier
    5 Attachment(s)
    Cool New Tandem
    Not into road bikes at all but many are and this is too good to not post. Unless you are of the persuasion who does not like technology and we all know there are lots of those types lurking around these pages ;) But to everyone else...
  • 02-12-2013
    Zuarte
    I don't know much about road bikes either, but that is jaw dropping. This thing deserves its own room in a modern art gallery, but I'd love to see it in action too.

And check out that drive train! Is there a drive shaft between the front and rear cranks?
  • 02-12-2013
    Zanetti
    Is there a reason the stokers cranks aren't timed at 180 degrees?
  • 02-12-2013
    wschruba
    rider preference?
  • 02-12-2013
    cyclelicious
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    rider preference?

heads or tails?
  • 02-12-2013
    Bro
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuarte View Post
    I don't know much about road bikes either, but that is jaw dropping. This thing deserves its own room in a modern art gallery, but I'd love to see it in action too.

And check out that drive train! Is there a drive shaft between the front and rear cranks?

There's that "shaft-driven" logo on the bottom tube between the two cranksets. I'd assume that shaft travels through the carbon tube, from the front to the rear crankset.

But that's one of the ugliest bikes I've ever seen. Even if those horrid SRAM wheels weren't on there, I've always disliked that style of integrated headtube/stem/handlebar configuration when it's not on a TT-specific bike.
  • 02-12-2013
    Zuarte
    Quote:

Originally Posted by erik1245 View Post
    There's that "shaft-driven" logo on the bottom tube between the two cranksets. I'd assume that shaft travels through the carbon tube, from the front to the rear crankset.

But that's one of the ugliest bikes I've ever seen. Even if those horrid SRAM wheels weren't on there, I've always disliked that style of integrated headtube/stem/handlebar configuration when it's not on a TT-specific bike.

Hey, what-dya-know...it does say shaft drive. I should blow up the picture more and actually read next time. :p
  • 02-12-2013
    DanD
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanetti View Post
    Is there a reason the stokers cranks aren't timed at 180 degrees?

Hmm, in picture 3 they definitely are not, in picture 4 it looks a lot closer, maybe independent drive?

OP, is this from any kind of article you can link to so we can read up?
  • 02-13-2013
    wschruba
    Quote:

Originally Posted by erik1245 View Post

I agree with your assessment (ooo-geh-ley) but it is built in the style of a TT bike.

Tandems should be for lazy days around town (or the beach!) in my estimation, but whatever goes.
  • 02-13-2013
    Mattcz
    Ah a new divorce machine I mean tandem bike.
  • 02-14-2013
    JoePAz
    looks like backseater is going to be getting a load but in the face on this.

Not my idea of "Tandem".... That is unless I happen to find the right front seater.
  • 02-14-2013
    modifier
    I don't remember where I saw it, I just saved the pics. Maybe Bike Radar?? Try a google search.
  • 02-14-2013
    jhill
    The bike is at the Specialized HQ in Morgan Hill. Unfortunately if I recall the bike does not actually work.
  • 02-14-2013
    modifier
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jhill View Post
    The bike is at the Specialized HQ in Morgan Hill. Unfortunately if I recall the bike does not actually work.

That sure is lame if it's true. I don't see why it wouldn't work, unless it's the shaft drive.