mtbr member

Contour GPS or GoPro H2 ?

I am going to buy one of these cameras this weekend at the REI sale. The trouble is .... which one should I get? The are both the same price and both have some advantages over the other.

I want to completely film 2-3 hour rides, then edit the video down to 5 - 10 minute YouTube clips for my website.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Joe
    Mountain Bike Diaries - Personal Trail Reviews, Stories, Maps, and More

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Tough decision. In the market myself and I'm thinking its preference really. The contour is a little more low profile.

Went on youtube and tried to see what all the big guys were using (like redbull) and you see them using both...so who knows. Maybe someone REALLY into video could tell you which is better, but I think your getting awesome footage either way. I like the contour more just for the lower profile look.

That wasn't helpful, I know.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I spend quite a bit of time debating between the 2 and they are almost dead even in a lot of aspeces kinda like a Canon vs Nikon camera thing. Each has their fans and haters. I decided on a gopro HD2 myself after playing with a few friends. A few of use share mounts and cameras between rigs (jeeps) so that was my main reason for going with the gopro.
    Keep access to public lands open.
    http://30daysofbikingerie.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    It is a tough decision and the marketing favors the GoPro. But a year ago, I got a great deal on a Contour and it's been easy to use, lightweight (especially on when mounted on helmet), and easy to carry along. I usually leave it in my back pack so it's with me for those video moments.
    2010 Trek Rumblefish
    2013 Trek Cobia

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe@MBD.com View Post
    I am going to buy one of these cameras this weekend at the REI sale. The trouble is .... which one should I get? The are both the same price and both have some advantages over the other.

I want to completely film 2-3 hour rides, then edit the video down to 5 - 10 minute YouTube clips for my website.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Joe
    well ... if you're talking REI 20% coupon the choice might be made for you --- the coupon excludes any GPS devices, and I'm personally leaning towards the GOPRO, chest harness and waterproof out of the box does it for me

mtbr member
    I am pretty sure the Contour GPS qualifies for the 20% discount. The fellow running that department at REI recommended the Contour GPS camera (over the GoPro Hero 2) but suggested I wait until Friday to buy it so I could save 20%.

Joe

mtbr member
    Check out this link:

GoPro HD Hero vs Contour 1080p HD Split-Screen - Hockey Version - YouTube

This guy is comparing the two- I believe it is the Regular GP HD and Contour 1080 P
    (Closely similar to GP 2)

IMO I like the versatility of the Go Pro
    -Waterproof
    -Less expensive accessories
    -Other reviews I read, easier uploading.
    -Wide angle lense

The big difference in the video is wider angle you get with GP- and I like the color contrast compared to Contour- it makes everything "pop" a little more.
    Technically I don't what kind-of riding I do- I just know I ride hard!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    GoPro - the chest mount option makes MTB videos 1000 times better in my book.

mtbr member
    I second the go pro. It looks much more polished and natural. Also you don't have to pick your video settings before you ride. Imagine picking a setting for bright sunshine then having it become extremely overcast mid ride? Well that's something you'll have to decide with the contour because you can only adjust the setting while its connected to a computer. The comparison videos don't really compare the cameras in action. The mounting capabilities with the gopro are great too and I can tell its going to have a much longer support than the contour because the contour is not selling like the gopro.

Take a minute and watch a video I put together of trails in SD all with my gopro. There's other videos that are unedited on my account.
    San Diego Mountain Biking Go Pro Hero 2 Cowles Mt Iron Mt PQ Canyon - YouTube

R T
    mtbr member
    I picked the contour for two reasons. One, with a helmet mount I don't look like the great gazoo from the flintstones. Two, the ease of on/off and sheer size and profile of the contour. It can take mud, rain etc. You need the waterproof case if you're planning on taking it swimming, otherwise it's fine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I like the gopro for the chest mount, but every video I watch the camera is pointed to much at the bike. Is there a way the camera can be adjusted upward for a better view?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rnm410 View Post
    I like the gopro for the chest mount, but every video I watch the camera is pointed to much at the bike. Is there a way the camera can be adjusted upward for a better view?
    GoPro Chest Mount Mountain Biking Whiting Ranch - YouTube
    comments may have a solution, but still would like to know the answer to my original question

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    they are both good.. pretty much a toss up. Like the GoPro for the chest mount but hate it everywhere else. The Contour mounts better pretty much everywhere but the chest. Contour is a good bit lighter and smaller.

They both have great customer service.

really screw with ya.. look at the new Epic Carbon HD, does everything those 2 both do, comes with better mounts than either.. costs less than you'll get either even on sale as they have it for just over $200 direct from them with all the mounts and stuff. uses regular batteries.. so you can get a bunch cheap and carry extras for that "all day shoot"
    haven't seen too much vid from them yet but they are still newish sooo...

what ever you get you'll enjoy it... good video software and computer hardware are more important than the actual camera these days...
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/