mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Confused about my next move

Hi all. I'm pretty new to the forums and finding myself at a bit of a crossroads. I just got into mountain biking last September, I'm 23 yrs old. I had ridden an entry level hard tail for many years but never took it even remotely close to serious. Decided to upgrade my funk Nevada to a 2013 rockhopper 29er hardtail. Love the bike, been primarily riding single track and some technical stuff. Rode my first jump last week and now I'm hooked. Literally was hitting 5-6 foot drops by Sunday. So now I'm really debating getting an XC or AM full suspension in the $2500-3000 range. I want a bike that can handle drops at that height but I also don't want to make the same mistake twice and get something I'll want to upgrade in a year/get something that doesn't fit my eventual riding style (once I get enough time to really figure out what my goals are/where my happiness is derived). Any advice on where to go from here? Love specialize and looks at the stump fsr 29er as well as enduro comp 29er but clearly don't have a focus as to what I really want. Should I keep beating on my
    RH and get more experience or grab the Stump and assume it can handle most of the stuff I'm trying to hit?

'Tis but a scratch
    If you want to hit 5-6' drops and still ride single track and technical stuff, it is my opinion that you are describing AM. So, on that note Enduro Comp 29er. But, it may be priced above the budget you described. That is a sweet ride though!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I started off on a trek 3500 3 years later I got a trek cobia its more of an xc bike. I wish I would have gotten more of an am bike. I know how you feel but I would just keep riding your bike for a while and just wait until you know exactly what you want.

Rent a real AM bike and try out the AM thing.

I find that I have very little desire to leave the ground for the most part but I do like technical riding. A HT AM bike would probably suit me well. A FS AM bike would probably be a bit much. I make do with a FS XC bike that is set up a little more aggressively than stock with stronger wheels and fatter tires and it does what I ask pretty well. The biggest air I have landed on it was a 3+ft drop to flat. It didn't break anything but I was far from smooth and it unnerved me. Hitting that drop smoothly would have required a lot more speed to gap the road and hit the tranny. No thanks. I am fine stopping there.

I'm SUCH a square....
    Two words for ya: Kona Process.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    So is an XC bike in danger of breaking off of 3-5 foot drops? I currently hit them with a hardtail and very mediocre front suspension and it's obviously not a smooth landing but also doesn't leave me feeling like my bike is going to break in half either.

Quote Originally Posted by Chezowan View Post
    So is an XC bike in danger of breaking off of 3-5 foot drops? I currently hit them with a hardtail and very mediocre front suspension and it's obviously not a smooth landing but also doesn't leave me feeling like my bike is going to break in half either.
    After a lot of rough landings, you should be concerned. An xc bike is not built for that. 3footers every now and again with smooth landings would probably be okay. Going up to 5 with harsh landings puts a LOT of stress on the bike. The wheels will probably be the first to go. Look carefully for cracks in the frame when you clean/maintain it.