Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2013

Comfortable grips to avoid palm pain

Since I started riding back, I noticed that each time I do some time with my bike, I always felt some pressure and pain on the palm of my hand. I didn't wear gloves but plan to buy them. However, I believe I must look for a more comfortable grips to replace the stock Kona grips (I have both a 1999 and 2008 Kona Cinder Cone and they both have the exact same grips with the same comfort level, which is shitty).

What would anyone suggest to replace the stock ones and for your information, I have a Answer Hyperlite straight handlebar (made in 1999 but still the reference, probably replaced by Easton I believe) ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Get some Ergon grips and your pain will be gone.

Ergon Grips | ChainReactionCycles.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Yeah try the Ergon grips. No more palm pain for me.

mtbr member
    Get some gloves! They are cheap, and save your palms when you ride and when you crash.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    moefosho, I will buy gloves for real XC riding soon for sure.

For the grips, I remember seeing a few Ergon grips at my closest LBS so I'll check them and report back.

mtbr member
    Thirds on the Ergon grips. I just bought a Trek cargo bike that came with them on it and OMG....they are amazing! And FYI, I have biked for years and had all kinds of grips and bars, these shoot the others out of the water!

usually cranky
    your pain may have more to do with improper hand placement. is it more like an uncomfortable rubbing feeling or an actual ache in your hands?

High Desert MTBer
    I used to use Ergon GP1s and loved them for a while, but I found that with the amount of riding I do regularly, and with it being chunky most of the time, I was getting severe pain in the butt end of my palm where the 'wing' of the grip lay. This came up in a painful lump after time, and I was forced to ditch the grips. I did try different angles etc. but nothing helped. It was so bad I could not ride any more until the swelling went down.
    I now use Specialized large diameter lock-on grips which are very comfortable for me. I also wear full-finger gloves with palm padding, essential equipment in the rough.

-1 on Ergons from me!
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    If ergons are too big/dont feel quite right for you, try bontrager evokes.
    That's what I use. They caused more pain for me when I had them mis-adjusted, but once I adjusted them correctly they were super comfy. I keep them tilted down pretty far.

The ergons are just too big for me. It's hard to stay in control when ripping downhill.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I've also tried the Ergons and couldnt find a good postion where they didnt feel uncomfortable. I bought the small size of the lock on type. I have tried to use them several times but allways just switch back to my old grips after a short while. It almost feels like they are stretching my thumb from my hand, and i dont feel like i have as much control through rough sections. They seem like a good idea, maybe a smaller size of ergo type grips would be better

mtbr member
    Ohhhhhhh I can't keep up! I just bought a pair of ODI Rouge grips because I heard they were good for hand pain. Those Ergons seem like they'd work even better.
    Actually I am also somewhat getting back into riding *more*, and I think that's part of it. My hands seem to be getting used to it. But I'm keeping the Ergon's on my wishlist
    (or bontrager evoke, just saw that)

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I just bought the Ergon GP1-S (I had a store credit so I used it to get those grips) so it remain to install on my bike and try them. If it's comfortable and fit great for me and my GF, I will order the GS1 version and if not, I'd check other suggestions.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by joshman108 View Post
    If ergons are too big/dont feel quite right for you, try bontrager evokes.
    That's what I use. They caused more pain for me when I had them mis-adjusted, but once I adjusted them correctly they were super comfy. I keep them tilted down pretty far.

The ergons are just too big for me. It's hard to stay in control when ripping downhill.
    Bontrager Evoke seems to be a seat and we're talking about grips... ??

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Comfortable grips to avoid palm pain

Ergons are the bomb. I have them on all my bikes that have flat bars. Absolutly sold on how well they work. And they last. I have a set that is 4 years old and still kicking.

Bill

ready to ride
    Going out on a limb here but old bike equaled no pain, new bike equals pain? Maybe fit is an issue? Maybe you are too far forward? What is the length of your stem?

Just saying there are a lot of variables and new grips won't necessarily fix your issue. Then again it might. Luckily for me I rarely get pain in my hands, or at least nothing that taking an Alieve before riding doesn't resolve.
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mattnmtns View Post
    Going out on a limb here but old bike equaled no pain, new bike equals pain? Maybe fit is an issue? Maybe you are too far forward? What is the length of your stem?

Just saying there are a lot of variables and new grips won't necessarily fix your issue. Then again it might. Luckily for me I rarely get pain in my hands, or at least nothing that taking an Alieve before riding doesn't resolve.
    I have the same pain with the old bike. I'll try the new Ergon that I bought and I'll report back tomorrow.

Cycle Psycho
    Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    Get some gloves! They are cheap, and save your palms when you ride and when you crash.
    This ^^^

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    In my case I think I just put to much weight on my handle bars. I'd always get pain in my palms and right shoulder on rides but I've been trying to shift my weight off my handle bars a bit and that has helped a lot.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Ergon. My hands use to go numb (carpenter as a trade).

But what most people forget about Ergon is they give you leverage on your bars. Love them for downhill (looks goofy). Set up with 750mm bars and 35mm stem so no xc setup.

It could prevent you from breaking your wrist or going over the bars in certain situations. You can get S or L. I use S
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Comfortable grips to avoid palm pain-2013-03-27-hurricane-rim.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Maybe try some "alternative type" handlebars...like on one fleegle bars.
    On-One Fleegle Pro Handlebar

there's others too.google up mtb alt or alternative handlebars.Hadley Carnegie is another one i think of off-hand.
    nashbar.com nashbar comfort handlebar is another one.Those and some Oury or ESI Chunky grips might help too.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Gloves...

I have Ergons on one bike and $7 foam grips on another. As long as I glove it up, I'm good.
    - The only thing that keeps me on a bike is happiness.

mtbr member
    I'd sooner do core exercise that includes hyperextensions, and look into/tweak your bike fit.
    I tried Ergons with those wings (gp1) and after a few months, and many different adjustments I just didn't like em. While that wing can be nice to lean on you shouldn't be leaning all that much. I found the wing got in my way and the lack of a feeling of grip and connection made me lean more, as well as grip harder, and led to discomfort on a bike that wasn't before them. I also tried a generic brand that where smaller and no likey them either. I put them on my clunker/mostly road bike and they're great.
    There was a guy on here from Ergon who also recommended that for trails to use GA1's, but some seam to like them winged design so ?
    FWIW think a thicker diameter is good, and grippy with a bit of squish feels best. My favs are ODI Rogue, and Ergons just don't compare in the grippy department.
    Too much glove padding, for me, leads to no likey.
    Try to ride more on pedals and saddle, and lighter on the bars, especially over rough stuff. Either with your muscles, and/or a better bike fit.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mattnmtns View Post

My thought exactly. I think that your problem has more to do with fit than the choice of grips. Your elbows should be bent and not much weight should be on the grips. Also make sure that your wrists are not bent when you are normally grabbing the grips and pulling on the brakes.

I have short arms and legs, and a long torso. That always puts me hunched over and over-reaching with my elbows too straight. A shorter stem and a 2" riser bar always cures that problem for me. I then end up not putting so much of my weight on my hands.

mtbr member
    oh yeah, ^, make sure your brake levers are so that your wrist is pretty much straight with fingers on em.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    ESI chunky or foam grips, also check your cockpit setup as previously mentioned.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast