Thread: Cockpit Oddness

mtbr member

Cockpit Oddness

I just thought I'd post a picture of the front end under one of the guys who comes out riding with us occasionally. He swung past today to say hello while he was out on a run and I had a look at his latest mad cockpit.

I say latest because his last one was worse! Notice how long his steerer tube is? Well he used to have 'two' stems on there! The one his bars are on and another stem underneath it holding the short section of white bar the computer is on. It looked utterly daft. What he has now is pretty tame for him.

On the other end of the white bar is a horn/siren thing that is stupidly loud. He only uses it in tiny bursts. There are usually loads of lights strapped on there too.

He also wears a bright yellow pot-holing helmet as it was the toughest helmet he could find. To be fair he was in a bad accident a few years ago, hit by a car on a roundabout, so he's a bit more nervous now.

Cockpit Oddness-005.jpg

The White Jeff W
    Wow, there's a lot going on there. One of the things I love about my rigid SS is the clean look with just brake levers on the bars. To each his own. If it works for him then ride on brother.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    To each his own. If it works for him then ride on brother.
    Agreed, but if this were my friend, he'd get endless grief.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by falconpunch79 View Post
    If this were my friend, he'd get endless grief.
    He does! ;0) I like to travel as light as possible but this guy carries everything that comes into his head. When we went round Arran last year he had two panniers full of stuff. At one point the rain came on and he stopped and dove into the panniers. Out came full wet-weather gear. Not your lightweight rain jacket, big heavy yellow thing and yellow trousers, overshoes, the lot.

About two-minutes after he'd got all the stuff on the rain stopped! :0) It was hilarious. He kept it on for about an hour.

This is the other end of his bike:

Cockpit Oddness-004.jpg

I wish I'd thought to take a picture when he had the two stems on it. That looked so crazy. Notice the big bag on the rack, he has another bag on the top-tube. They are always there, I have no idea what's in them.

mtbr member
    Oh, I just remembered something. About fifteen years ago we cycled to Balloch going over the top of the Old Kilpatrick hills on route. We were joined by a guy who'd just bought his first bike, a cheapo Halfords job, and he had a huge backpack on. We were up on the hill and he opened up the pack, among the other things he had were two two-litre bottles of water and a can of WD40 :0) The water must've weighed a ton! I said to him 'Where do you think we are going, the moon?'.

mtbr member
    Haha, it looks like he has a boat lantern on that thing. Surprised he doesn't have red and green nav lights. I couldn't imagine carrying all that if I didn't have to. I went on a camping trip with my bike and I hated the way the bike handled weighted down. At least he's out there riding though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Re: Cockpit Oddness

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    To be fair he was in a bad accident a few years ago, hit by a car on a roundabout,...
    Of course he did...He was distracted by all the **** on his bars.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Nothing wrong with that - Standard touring bike set up - you bunch of snobs......

But I do hope his rear light board is pvc drain pipe and not a painted scaffold pole.

As far as WD40 horror stories go the other day whilst waiting to catch a ferry to one of our trail areas I saw some guy pull a can out and squirt everything (including his XT brakes) with the stuff He then proceed to squeal his way round the course.

Air Pirate
    That cockpit setup is pretty crowded, somewhat like this guy:

Cockpit Oddness-sn850144.jpg

Cockpit Oddness-sn850145.jpg

Cockpit Oddness-sn850146.jpg

Cockpit Oddness-sn850147.jpg
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJon View Post
    But I do hope his rear light board is pvc drain pipe.
    No, it's metal. I don't know exactly what it is but it is metal.

That bike with two stems, that's what he had.A white stem under the top one with the short bar on it. During the winter there are a lot of lights on that bike!

He was not at fault at all when he crashed. He had right of way on a roundabout when I driver drove straight into him. The bike was totalled and he spent quite a while in hospital. I can't remember the full extent of his injuries but most have healed up. His left hand is still not right and he doesn't have proper use of two fingers. I don't think he has feeling in them either.

Lots of people might've been put off but he was planning on building up a new bike before he was well enough to rid it! And he did get that bike assembled before he could ride it. His wife was not very comfortable about him going back out cycling so we encouraged him to come with us as we cycle on quiet back roads.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Some years back when I was living in Cambridge, I remember seeing an old guy on a beater bike with a pair of sealed-beam automotive headlights powered by a car battery.

He wanted to make sure those Boston drivers would see him (no LED or HID back in those days) and he didn't care how heavy it made his bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The person with the most crap in their cockpit wins.

mtbr member
    Why have drop bars you can't use?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I bet he's running 1x11 to keep cockpit clean and well organized without clutter of additional shifter

Ride Instigator
    LOL, and I was giving a friend grief because his bars looked cluttered with standard trigger shifters, brake levers, dropper post lever and computer. These gadget geeks above have him topped BIG time!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoNin9r View Post
    Why have drop bars you can't use?
    For mounting your big mirror on of course.

mtbr member
    Meh. Needs an iPad mount to be fully current with today's technology.

I hope that steerer tube isn't carbon!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deep Thought View Post
    Meh. Needs an iPad mount to be fully current with today's technology.
    He's an older guy who doesn't do technology ;0) Struggles to text, only learned to do that about a year ago.

When we went round Arran a few years ago there was a guy joined us who had a solar panel on his handlebars! I asked the obvious, what the heck's that for, and he explained that without it his smart-phone wouldn't last the day. The phone lived in a little basket/bag hanging off the front of the bars and a cable ran up to the solar panel. Think I would've just bought another phone myself...

mtbr member
    You know, as different or strange as that is, I applaud him for his innovation and at least he's out riding. It's his bike and he's riding it as opposed to all those people who buy those chi-chi bikes and the poor bikes sit in storage because "riding is hard". Kudos to him.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gmats View Post
    You know, as different or strange as that is, I applaud him for his innovation and at least he's out riding. It's his bike and he's riding it as opposed to all those people who buy those chi-chi bikes and the poor bikes sit in storage because "riding is hard". Kudos to him.
    Exactly. I totally agree with modifying your bike to make it function as you want. When you see that you know that this is someone who actually spends a lot of time on his bike, not some Sunday poser. He's not the fastest guy you've ever seen but he's still going strong long after a lot of far younger riders have folded.

High Desert MTBer
    Good for him I say... his gloves are nice too
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    good for him i say... His gloves are nice too
    aldi ;0)