mtbr member
    Dec 2011

CO2 or mini pump

I had a road bike for a while and carried a CO2 inflator with me to inflate a spare tire if needed. Do those work for mountain bikes as well or is it too little air to inflate a mountain bike tire 29?

mtbr member
    If you have a big enough or multiple CO2 canisters you can fill a 29" tire.

Dark Horse Racing
    If you're racing XC/Enduro go with CO2's for quick a quick fix on the trail to get back in the race.

Jonesin'
    I started off with a CO2, because I thought it was a cool widget and wanted to try one. Plenty of air to fill a 26" MTB tire with air to spare. In fact I think I got 2 fill-ups per can.

I got sick of having to buy the canisters, and bought a frame pump instead. Its the way to go unless racing.
    Never be the path of least resistance.

"You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel." -Simply Weasels

mtbr member
    I carry both a frame pump and CO2. I use the CO2 for convenience and ease and carry the pump as a back up. I also carry two tubes. I don't like farting around with patches.

Rides the Desert
    I use a pump, attached to my frame. Mines got a foot stand and a short little tube. Kinda unique.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ForrestJones View Post
    I started off with a CO2, because I thought it was a cool widget and wanted to try one. Plenty of air to fill a 26" MTB tire with air to spare. In fact I think I got 2 fill-ups per can.

I got sick of having to buy the canisters, and bought a frame pump instead. Its the way to go unless racing.

Or if you live in an area with lots of mosquitoes in summer. One tube change while getting eaten alive resulted in my always having CO2 in the camelback.

Ride or die
    I use a pump that combines both. It is a thin mini pump that also incorporates a co2 feture. So no matter what, I am covered.

mtbr member
    Carry both, the co2 inflators fail from time to time.

bust a move
    Last week I asked my lbs owner about this subject. He said that the standard Co2 cartridge would fill a road tire to 90psi and a 26 mtb tire to 40psi. I have had to mini pump up like 6 road tires this year and it is a biotch. I just ordered a dozen cartridges because of the amount of times I flatted out this year. I will still carry the pump tho

mtbr member

Love the CO2

I carry a CO2 set up and ride a 29er. I had a tire failure over the summer and as it would turn out the sealant in my tire had all but dried up and I had accidentally pulled the "back up" tube out of my pack at the trail head (I'll never make these mistakes again) The bead had come off completely, I thought I was screwed, never before had I been in the situation. All I had was my CO2 inflator and 2 cartridges. To my surprise, one canister re-seated the bead and filled the tire to, what I would guess was, 30ish lbs. The second cartridge was used sparingly to re-fill when the tire got low. It was enough to get me out of the woods (about a mile) and back to the trail head on dirt roads (another 2-3 miles). I don't think I would have been able to re-seat the bead with a hand pump.

mtbr member
    I use a pump, I'm cheap, and air is free.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I carry one spare tube, patches, and CO2 with with 3 cartridges.

ouch....
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail6 View Post
    I use a pump, I'm cheap, and air is free.
    Same here, and it's a good arm workout haha!
    Riding.....

bi-winning
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Hmmmmm
    I'm always amazed at how many people with CO2 have asked to borrow my pump over the years.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

Peace and Long Rides...

mtbr member
    I've had a couple of the small mini pumps and they can take a while to fill a tire. I bought a CO2 inflator and used it once and thought it was the best thing I ever saw. The next ride, I went through 2 tubes which used up all of my cartridges. When I got a third flat, I found out how useless an inflator could be. Now ride with a Topeak Road Morph and will not change from carrying this pump. Not too big that it weighs much but big enough to fill a tire, 29 or road, quickly.

Front Range, Colorado
    I carry a "Topeak Two Timer" it's a mini pump on one end and a CO2 inflater on the other end. A two in one deal. It is only 7" long and fits unnoticable in my Camelbak. Most shops don't carry them in stock. I just had my LBS special order it for me. And Topeak IMO makes some of the highest quality products in the industry.
    Check it out here. TopeakŪ Cycling Accessories
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 12-17-2011 at 11:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I just recently picked up a topeak mini microblaster and its dual action so it pumps when you bring it out and in. So it doesn't take as long as older mini pumps