Thread: co2 Inflator?

mtbr member

co2 Inflator?

Thinking of removing the mini pump from my bike and going with a co2 inflator in my saddle bag in order to streamline the appearance of my bike. I have never owned or used a co2 inflator before but hear they work fine.

Any thought on making this switch as well as the type of co2 inflator ?

mtbr member
    Personally I would continue to carry a frame pump as a back up. I carry a Innovation air chuck CO2 inflator. The advantage of the air chuck is that it has a valve which means I can stop and restart inflating the tire in case something isn't right. With other inflators, the inflation process is a one shot deal. The air chuck is nice and small.

I carry two CO2 cartridges, the air chuck, two tubes, a Schrader to presta adapter, and a few coins (in case I am near a gas station).

Keep in mind you need to find out if the inflator you purchase is threaded or threadless and then match the type of cartridges you purchase to the requirements of your inflator.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I used to carry them...for reasons i cant recall i ended up going back to carrying a pump.

I think i switched back when my fat, hard tail riding, no technique ass kept pinch flatting...i was going through some C02 cannisters.

Im riding full suspension now, have lost some weight, and have better technique so i dont flat as much...thorns still get me though.

I say give them a shot...if it doesnt work out you dont have much invested.

mtbr member
    co2 if going without a backpack
    pump if going with.
    co2 is way faster for flat repair.
    I carry 2 tubes and 5 co2 (2 are taped to the handlebars) along with my tubless set up. I hate backpacks

mtbr member
    I just wear a backpack when I plan on riding for a while since I bought it to have a hydration pack.
    My saddle bag always contains a tube repair kit and a multi purpose tool and a mini pump on my frame. I guess I should always carry a spare tube as well but would like to not have the pump on my frame.