mtbr member

Clipless Recommendations?

Ok... I know where to find em (Chrome working fine).

But, as it's my first time - I've got no frickin idea what's best or what to look for/avoid.

Budget? $100 - $150 nzd

Size? 12.5 - 13 us

Riding? AM/Enduro

Currently have some nice platforms... however there are a few DH tracks that I would like to frequent more often.

My Enduro steed can handle the riding fine. Just looking for something to keep me connected when I launch off a couple of the jumps ^^

T.I.A
    to err is human... to face plant is frickin hilarious!!

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Pedals, Time ATAC

Shoes, no idea what's good these days. My Specialized shoes are still in good shape, so yeah, those.
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

Front Range, Colorado
    Pedal TIME ATAC / shoes SIDI Dominators.

Your budget only allows for a set of TIME ATAC aluminum. Save up some more money for a good pair of shoes. As Finch said the Shimano's work fine and are cheaper than SIDI's. With all this said do yourself a favor and at least go with the TIME ATAC pedals. Easy learning curve with easy in and easy out and no moving parts to have to deal with like other brands. Plus they work great in wet muddy conditions unlike other brands.

http://www.amazon.com/Time-ATAC-XC-6...me+atac+pedals
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post

Your budget only allows for a set of TIME ATAC aluminum. Save up some more money for a good pair of shoes. As Finch said the Shimano's work fine and are cheaper than SIDI's. With all this said do yourself a favor and at least go with the TIME ATAC pedals. Easy learning curve with easy in and easy out and no moving parts to have to deal with like other brands. Plus they work great in wet muddy conditions unlike other brands.

Amazon.com : Time ATAC XC 6 Pedal : Bike Pedals : Sports & Outdoors
    When did I say Shimano?

I've always been happy with Performance's house brand Forte shoes, too.
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

mtbr member
    I have never found a compelling reason to ride anything other than Shimano mountain SPD's. they do the job and last forever.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    When did I say Shimano?
    Just now

Actually you said Specialized and my non reading comprehension turned it into Shimano.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

I'm SUCH a square....
    Time ATAC -- I ride Aliums. Beat the H-E-L-L-O out of SPD's. Never hung up in my Times when I needed to unclip, never accidentally unclipped. SPD's? Yep, X2.

I've ridden using 661, Sette, Answer, and Shimano shoes. Sette's fit poorly, Answer seems to set the cleat further back than I like. Right now, I have one pair of Shimanos that are about to set a new longevity record for me.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Shimano SPD's.

mtbr member
    Shimano SPD's here as well, beat the hell out of em, mud and all. Keep em clean and lubed, I've never had any issues with them. I have 520's and 540's, both have held up amazingly well and don't cost $150/$200.
    "The most expensive bike in the work is still cheaper than the cheapest by-pass surgery in the world.

Elitest thrill junkie
    SPDs, they last forever, or about as long as you can stand. I've used just about all of them over the years, just have some 530s and 520s on various bikes right now, but they just work and don't break due to the odd rock impact or pedal smack. I find their release is very consistent, unlike when you hit a rock with crank brothers or the cleats start to wear (because they wear fast), then your release starts to get very unpredictable. I also like how they are more "spring" based, rather than "angular deflection" like the CBs. I find that it's easier to release heel-inward with SPDs, and nearly impossible with CBs. This is a rare way to release, as most of the time you do heel-out, but every once and a while I have to do heel-inward and it works, whereas I'd fall over with CBs because you couldn't rotate your heel far enough inward to release the cleats. In this way, I find the shimano pedals forgive mistakes a little better, they release a bit more in more directions IMO if you really yank hard, vs. being totally dependent on reaching enough angle.

I do everything on spds, XC, snow, downhill, big jumps, drops, etc. The only thing I don't do on SPDs is temp down around 0F and below and high skinnies.

Crazy mucky/muddy on the last few DH races too, I'm so happy that they fixed their mud problem a few years back (more than just a few now). Now they push out snow and mud so you can get back in. 545s, while great pedals otherwise, don't have this feature unfortunately.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    Just looking for something to keep me connected when I launch off a couple of the jumps ^^
    This is the wrong reason to use clipless. If you're relying on the pedals to keep you attached to the bike you don't really get any feedback about loading the bike and making the jump so the bike takes the correct trajectory on its own... you end up just going off the jump and dragging the bike along with you. This doesn't work when your jumps get large enough that the bike taking the wrong path is a danger. I'm a crap jumper, but i couldn't really do anything 'big' until i figured out how to keep the bike with me, riding flats and loading the tires. I prefer clipless for almost everything. That's all my opinion and i described it poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    SPDs, they last forever, or about as long as you can stand...
    I'm with jayem here, and his write up is great. I put 520s on everything. They're so cheap and durable, and they just work. I just buy a new set whenever i need cleats. I've got janky lookin old ones on my tandem, nice ones on my road bike, and bashed up ones on my mtbs. I've damaged 1 pedal in 10 years, and replaced the bearing. Pretty incredible deal for 35 bucks.

I have some 530s on my big bike, and they deflect off rocks a little better, and my heavy rubber soled shoes stick a bit, which i like, but it's not a major functional difference.

Times are alright, but i like the in/out certainty of SPDs. The release is different, and is personal preference. I had CB pedals that worked the same way, and they gave me issues mostly due to being CB products.

Shoes, i have specialized tahoes for big stuff- the rubber stands on the pedals and i like the extra protection. XC/road i have some bontrager RLs. I don't like the shimano shoes because you have to pay more to get a stiff sole and a velcro top strap. The plastic/CF soles are the same to me, but the vinyl ones bend and the cleat plate hurts my feet eventually.
    Last edited by scottzg; 2 Days Ago at 12:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    shoes SIDI Dominators.
    they really are awesome, so comfortable like a slipper but i got to thinking on some more remote rides that it would suck to have to walk in them for a mechanical so i got a back up pair of pearl izumi x alps, not quite as good but more versatile

mtbr member
    ive never used them but my friend swears by them Crank Brothers Mallet DH pedals, he was also coming off of flats.
    2013 Specialized Camber Comp
    2015 Motobecane Boris X9

local trails rider
    I like my Time pedals but won't argue with those who prefer Shimano...

For shoes: shoes need to fit, so get a pair of stiff soled shoes that fit you. My current pair is from Shimano but I have no clue if they'd fit you.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Good shoes are where it's at, love my Sidi Dominators but man are they heavy!

mtbr member

RE: Clipless Recommendations?

If you need floatation for your knees then CB and Time. SPDs have no or little float. If you also want durability then Time ATAC. CB spindles are notoriously weak. Time are my favourites.

Sidi shoes fit narrow. The shoes, like....shoes, will be more of a personal preference for fit/comfort.
    Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express

Front Range, Colorado

Amazon.com : Time ATAC XC 6 Pedal : Bike Pedals : Sports & Outdoors
    Oh and I forgot to mention longevity in that ^^^^^ post.

I rode a set of TIME ATAC aluminums for 8 years and only retired them to upgrade to the TIME ATAC XS Titanium / carbons. I've been running those for 6 years and still going strong. I'm pretty hard on pedals with 210 lbs body weight and trail preference being full of rock gardens. Time is an ass kicking design without moving parts to deal with like other brands.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)