Thread: Clipless Newbie

mtbr member

Clipless Newbie

I have made the decision to remove my platform pedals and go with ones that are clipless. My first hurdle was to find a biking shoe that fits since I wear an E width and is not that common to find in cycling shoes. I did order and just receive a pair of Perl Izumi X-Alps that fit and are comfortable. They look more like sneakers than biking shoes and are very comfortable to walk in as well, which is exactly what I had in mind.

Now that the shoe fits, I will order the Shimano multi direction release cleats and the M-647 pedals. Looking at the bottom of my new biking shoes, I guess I just remove the two fasteners and that will provide the area and threads for the cleats.

I di not put an allen key to the fasteners that are on my shoes but I am wondering what kind of screw head that is on the bottom of my new biking shoes ?

Thanks,

Rick

JRA
    An Allen key should remove the fasteners. Your new pedals will come with their own mounting hardware. These will be Allen screws as well.

When you start with your new pedals, I'd recommend setting them to full loose. (Allen) screw as well. The instructions that come with the pedals/cleats will explain how to set them up.

Welcome to clipless!
    --If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRuckus View Post
    An Allen key should remove the fasteners. Your new pedals will come with their own mounting hardware. These will be Allen screws as well.

When you start with your new pedals, I'd recommend setting them to full loose. (Allen) screw as well. The instructions that come with the pedals/cleats will explain how to set them up.

Welcome to clipless!
    Thanks bro, looking forward to learning something new and improving my riding efficiency
    but hoping not to fall!

Thanks for the info!

mtbr member
    You will most likely take a few tumbles as you get used to the clipless pedals. Stick to some rides with soft landings for a few rides just in case. Once your brain gets programed to moving your feet sideways to release you're good. Takes a while but once you get it you'll never go back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vtmusher View Post
    You will most likely take a few tumbles as you get used to the clipless pedals. Stick to some rides with soft landings for a few rides just in case. Once your brain gets programed to moving your feet sideways to release you're good. Takes a while but once you get it you'll never go back.
    Everyone I speak with says it is the way to go so I will just have to learn. I think it will be hard not to think about the release process since that is all my brain is consumed with at this point in time!

What about breaking in the new biking shoes prior to adding the cleats, riding, walking, etc, does that make any sense ?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Probably not much need to break in the shoes. Whenever I've gotten new shoes I just bolt on the cleats and go. Most bike shoes have pretty stiff soles so there isn't going to be much change from walking in them. Of course if you have the shoes now but not the pedals yet it wouldn't hurt to wear them but I'd keep the covers on the bottom so you don't fill the threaded inserts with dirt or mud.

official eMpTyBRain
    Once you get the hang of clipless, you'll be very happy with the control you'll have.

Just take it easy at first. You may want to just putt around your block on level ground at a reasonable speed in order to get the feel and build confidence.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I'm new to clipless too. I found a cheap trainer on craigs list and practiced alot before I went out with them. Spin unclip, spin unclip..... So far so good. Still using multi-release, still set loose. But I love them. 25-30% increase in power from the first ride. Good Luck.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I went clipless over a year ago and haven't looked back.I too got the multi release cleats mainly because of my bad knee. Getting used to them was fairly easy.I just rode around the neighborhood for about 30 min,maybe 2 or 3 days in a row,clipping in and out.Once I felt comfortable with that I would ride onto the lawn,slow to a stop and try to balance for as long as I could.Eventually I would have to unclip and put a foot down.By balancing as long as I could I never knew what foot I would have to put down until I had to.I was trying to mimic what might happen on the trail.
    Oh...and you WILL fall over eventually.