mtbr member
    Oct 2013

climbing with Reba

I took a new route on the road today that has a couple of big climbs that I have been eyeballing for a month or so. What I noticed was that when I was out of the saddle and really fighting up hill that I was getting a lot of bounce out of my Rockshox Reba on my Superfly. It was locked out. How much "travel" should it cycle when locked out? I realize that it shouldn't feel like a rigid fork. I ride this bike probably 80% street and 20% trail. So is the fork not set up right or am I doing something wrong? I don't like that feeling of the bounce, feels like I am losing efficiency. I have been debating going to a rigid fork for a change of pace anyways. Would this a good reason to make the switch?
    2014 Trek Fuel ex 7
    2013 Trek Superfly Al
    1997 Jamis Dakota Al
    1941 Schwinn Dx klunker wanna be

DFMBA.org
    My 2013 Reba feels barely moves at max compression (blue dial). Maybe there's too little pressure in your fork or the lockout needs servicing. Something is definitely wrong and the fork may need servicing.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Which Reba? If it's an RLT, you need to have some threshold dialed in with the center knob (inside the blue knob). If it's at the minimum, the compression damping set by the blue knob will be bypassed so easily you won't get any effective damping, regardless of the blue knob position. I set my inner knob so I can just feel some resistance to compression while pushing on the handlebars, with the blue knob at full cw position. More is fine, depending on what you want.
    Then I can sweep the blue knob cw for more damping when needed and ccw for less.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    It is the Reba RL.
    2014 Trek Fuel ex 7
    2013 Trek Superfly Al
    1997 Jamis Dakota Al

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Setting up your Reba

I found this article and according to this, it pretty much seems like it is the way it should be. I always thought the lockout was supposed to not let the fork travel at all. I'll have to ride that hill again and see how much the fork actually cycles to see if I have a problem or not.

Does this article seem legit?
    2014 Trek Fuel ex 7
    2013 Trek Superfly Al
    1997 Jamis Dakota Al

mtbr member

climbing with Reba

I'm curious about this thread I seem to have gotten more rebound lately when it's in the lockout position.

mtbr member

climbing with Reba

I'm extremely happy with my Reba, (2013 RL) when it's in lock out, it only moves maybe 5mm. The only problem iv had from the lockout was due to my error, forgot to unlock it and crashed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member

climbing with Reba

Quote Originally Posted by campergf23 View Post
    I'm extremely happy with my Reba, (2013 RL) when it's in lock out, it only moves maybe 5mm. The only problem iv had from the lockout was due to my error, forgot to unlock it and crashed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's what I've heard was the amount of rebound. Mine is way more than that. 😔 Need to look how to adjust this thing. YouTube here I come.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I measured mine and it went 1.5 inches when locked. Do I have the air pressure set low? So the next question is, since I didn't get a pump with the bike, is there a difference an airpump for a Fox vs a Rockshox? I wouldn't think so but I figured I would ask. And what PSI should I put in since I weigh around 255lbs?
    2014 Trek Fuel ex 7
    2013 Trek Superfly Al
    1997 Jamis Dakota Al

rod skinner
    Oct 2005
    I thought this post was about climbing on Reba McEntire.

My bad.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Even though I am only 39, I see no problem with that, lol.
    2014 Trek Fuel ex 7
    2013 Trek Superfly Al
    1997 Jamis Dakota Al

mtbr member

climbing with Reba

Quote Originally Posted by norton55 View Post
    I thought this post was about climbing on Reba McEntire.

My bad.
    LMAO!! Not bad at all!!! 😉

mbtr member
    'Rebound' is how quickly the fork extends from a compressed position. It's controlled by the knob at the bottom. Not totally relevant.

Your spring will need to be set first, and at 255lbs it's almost certainly under sprung. This chart says you need ~150psi in both the positive and negative air spring chambers; fill the top one, then fill the one on the bottom of the fork. You need a shock pump, but they're all the same.

Now that you have the spring set, you can set your rebound. Set it so when the knobs on top are open, the fork extends about as fast as you can pull your hands up when you push down on the fork off the bike.

Finally we can set up your lockout. Go climb a hill that's got some rocks. Lock out the blue knob, and open up the gold knob until the fork doesn't move when you pedal, but it compresses over trail obstacles. There's two reasons you want to set it up like this; 1-trail features won't knock you off line, and 2- the gold knob affects how smooth the ride is all the time; usually when the lockout is set right the fork rides smoothest even when it's not locked out.

Happy trails!

mtbr member
    Too little oil in the upper right leg will do this. My Reba SL moves about 2mm when locked out.
    Page 27 in the technical manual: https://www.sram.com/rockshox/products/reba-rl

--
    Ragnar
    When it's 20 below freezing and the snow lays 10 inches deep, bicycle commuting kind of sucks.

mtbr member
    I only use my Reba locked on the road. It climbs rocky trails better unlocked.

I like the rebound set fairly slow. It stops it kicking back at you during slow, rocky climbs and it still seems to behave well enough elsewhere.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Finally got around to trying to set up my Reba, so is my 2013 Trek Superfly Al Reba a solo air? I only found the top air inlet.
    2014 Trek Fuel ex 7
    2013 Trek Superfly Al
    1997 Jamis Dakota Al

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzwardo View Post
    So is my 2013 Trek Superfly a Reba a solo air?
    Could be. Maybe the one air valve is a clue there? ;0)

I think they did change to solo-air in 2013 so you could be right. The bottom valve on the dual-air is tucked away in the bottom of the leg on the 2012 though so you could miss it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    On the bottom of the fork leg is something about 3 to 4 inches inside. I tried turning it but it just seems to spin and I wouldn't think that it would be that hard to get to since you would have to hook up the air pump.

Does anyone have a pic of the bottom of the leg or either of these?
    2014 Trek Fuel ex 7
    2013 Trek Superfly Al
    1997 Jamis Dakota Al