Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Clamp-on grips vs. glue-on grips. Pros/ Cons?

What is best and why? I don't care about install time or cost of the grips. What is best and why? Weight, longevity, comfort (same make and model grips obviously), etc...?

The grips will be Renthal Kevlars for certain.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Lock-ons for one make any maintenance inboard of the grips like brake levers and shifters easier. You can play with positioning too in case you want to trim your bars shorter. Also easier to install, change, and remove.
    I use ODI and am playing with different grip patterns. Change out is a breeze.
    It's been a while since I've used glue ons but I remember having to wait a long time before I could ride on new grips.
    I don't know if you can feel the difference if both are installed properly. I also remember glue ons eventually slipping around the bar, usually only part of it so you could see a twist.

As far as longevity, if I start to see wear usually around the outer palm area, I can just rotate the lockers around to fresh grip material. Like getting new grips for free.
    I looked into the Renthal Kevlars and they look like nice grips. Integrated lock rings and all. I may give them a try and if I don't like them I can just pass them on and throw the ODIs back on no sweat.
    Last edited by Bone Shaker; 11-17-2014 at 12:19 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Clamp-ons are fine - there are no cons. They take five minutes or so to install and don't spin (Lizard Skins and ODI anyway, haven't tried any others).

I still use regular glue-on grips on my dirt bike and if you do it properly - glue + safety wire, they are fine as well, but spin if you don't get the surface of the bar very clean or move them before they dry. No reason to use them on a mountain bike that I can think of unless you already have a pack laying around or really love a style that isn't available as a clamp-on. I hate messing with grip glue - my tubes always dry up into a useless brick.

If you plan on using a KS dropper post, get ODI lock-ons.

Uphill? What's that
    ESI silicone grips for me..No glue super grippy and super comfy..

Big Mac

Glue on grips suck. Clamp on grips don't. That's a con, and a pro.

Don't Tread on Me
    I went from old school glue-ons to clamp-ons. I used the clamp-ons for many years and they were fine. But now I'm using ESI silicon grips.

There is no need for glue and they don't move once installed. The silicon grips are super sticky so you won't have those panicky incidents when your hand comes off the grip unintentionally. In fact I have ridden on a few occasions without gloves (when I've forgotten them) and even with sweaty hands the the "gription" is awesome.

They do tear so be prepared to replace them as needed. It took a little time to get used to the smaller diameter but I find the grip is more natural now. They are also a pain in the a$$ to take off and reuse. I use chop sticks to get under them and with some soapy water and a lot of coaxing they will eventually break loose and you can spin them off. Definitely not handy if you like making lots of changes to your cockpit. They are also much lighter if you are into the weight weenie thing.

I've equipped all my bikes with silicon grips so the feel is the same no matter what bike I'm on and I am totally sold on them. Oh and you can pick from many colors.
    Consciousness, that annoying time between bike rides.

mtbr member
    I have never had to glue grips one. sometimes the twist a little but glue is never needed.

Stephen
    Here's a party trick...use hairspray with your glue ons. Just spray the clean bars , maybe a bit in the grips, slide on wait a moment ....done! Easy as.
    As for preference, either.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Lock ons. I am not sure why they still make non lock on, and why people would use them. Seems like a step backwards.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

I like turtles
    Clamp - ons weigh more. ESI user here. They aren't slipping...
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro are #@$%

Ride Instigator
    Glue on grips=Digs Dudes
    Lock on grips=Digs Wimmen

"Nuff Said?

Big Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Ricko View Post
    Glue on grips=Digs Dudes
    Lock on grips=Digs Wimmen

"Nuff Said?
    So glue on's are for girls and lock on's are for boys?

I'd rather be on my bike
    They weigh more? C'mon!!!!!

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    There couldn't be a more lopsided comparison.

Lock Ons: All pros over glue ons.

Glue Ons: Zero pros over Lock Ons
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    No way man! The great Vans debate of 18 was epic!

Don't Tread on Me
    Have you ever broken the lock ring in the middle of a ride? It's not fun to ride with a grip that just spins.
    Consciousness, that annoying time between bike rides.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I LOVE my ESI Chunkys, but when I bought a second bike, I bought ODI Rogues because of the hassle of installation and removal.

I like turtles
    I didn't know regular non lock-on grips were called glue-ons. ..just regular grips to me. Never needed glue..just an air compressor and some hairspray. Lock-ons are great when you need to remove them...so easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopaka View Post
    Have you ever broken the lock ring in the middle of a ride? It's not fun to ride with a grip that just spins.
    Nope!
    With 14 years riding the SAME set of Lock Ons this has never happened. And with those odds ill bet you the price of my bike that it will never happen.

Next: Made up excuse not to use Lock Ons over regular glue ons.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Only reason to not use lock-ons is because ESI Chunkys don't come in a lock-on version .

Quote Originally Posted by canker View Post
    Only reason to not use lock-ons is because ESI Chunkys don't come in a lock-on version .
    Well in that case you need to get on an 8 step program and kick that grip habit to the curb.

Seriously though I personally rank Lock Ons up towards the top of best inventions of all time in the mtb world.

mtbr member
    I've never heard of standard grips as "glue-on." Where did this term come from?

Quote Originally Posted by iWiLRiDe View Post
    I've never heard standard grips as "glue-on." Where did this term come from?
    When Lock Ons hit the market we needed a slang term for standard grips so Glue Ons became the slang term by default.

Via this thread.

I like turtles
    On the hassle...why are folks removing their grips so much to cause a hassle? Just curious. For the ESIs, you clean the bar, drench the inside of the grip with rubbing alcohol, and slide on. Done. To remove..well..ok...I have an air compressor so this is easy but if you didn't, you are probably just going to cut them off.

Moderator Moderator
    Jun 2006
    Lock ons all the way. Put them on and they stay there until you want them to move. If you're strictly a fair-weather rider, then I guess the you could get away with non-lockers, but IME, if you ride in wet, snowy or muddy conditions at all, your grips are going to end up slipping. Even my BMX bikes that don't have lockers end up moving around on me and those never see crappy conditions. Lock-ons, never a problem. And in the extremely rare instance you might break a collar mid-ride (???) there is another collar at the other end of the grip that will manage to keep it in place just fine.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

because GIANT
    anyone who says lock-ons are not needed has never had to hammer for 3-4 hours in rain. and by hammer I mean climbs hills and exert maximum power on the handlebars

your slip-on grips cannot compare, and in rain under load they will fail

the only exception are the foam grips which have been fused to the bar with a solvent (but then you just ruined your bar)

lock-ons are pretty much perfect in every way, and they never slip, ever.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    I am not sure why they still make non lock on, and why people would use them.
    I like thin grips. Thin lock-ons only have a minimal layer of soft rubber over the hard core. Regular thin grips offer more cushioning, and cost $7 or $8. That's why.

SS Pusher Man
    Rode Lock-Ons for many years. Never broke a ring, but several times smashed them to the point where they were razor sharp...even with gloves, not fun.

Have been running silicone grips for the last 4 years or so. Never had one slip off. Only time one has begun to twist, the inside edge was ripped(had already rotated the grip outside to inside)...and it was past time to replace them anyway.

With a compressor, the ESI grips come off with little effort, and with a spritz of rubbing alcohol went right back on.

Have had to hammer lock on off before because they fused to the bar.....not mine, but when wrenching at a shop.
    I resolve to constantly assert my honest opinion on anything and everything - whether it is requested or not.
    Bucky the Cat

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    anyone who says lock-ons are not needed has never had to hammer for 3-4 hours in rain. and by hammer I mean climbs hills and exert maximum power on the handlebars
    I don't mean to derail with thread, but why are you riding rainy trails at all, let alone 3-4 hours? maybe it's a regional thing, but where I am from, you don't ride wet trails or the city shuts them down. if I had to ride for 3-4 hours in rain, my grips would be the least of my worries. i would just stay home and wait for decent weather that does not destroy the trails.

that said, I have ridden in some wet conditions with regular rubber grips and they don't slip off. you people are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

I like turtles
    ^^^My thoughts exactly...I never ride in the rain.

because GIANT
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    I don't mean to derail with thread, but why are you riding rainy trails at all, let alone 3-4 hours? maybe it's a regional thing, but where I am from, you don't ride wet trails or the city shuts them down. if I had to ride for 3-4 hours in rain, my grips would be the least of my worries. i would just stay home and wait for decent weather that does not destroy the trails.

that said, I have ridden in some wet conditions with regular rubber grips and they don't slip off. you people are making a mountain out of a mole hill.
    races are not canceled for rain

and

weekly left-for-dead rides are fireroad, powerline, or logging roads. minimal chance for trail damage wet or dry. in fact they aren't trails they are 'right of ways' or abandoned roads. no issues

mtbr member
    i guess that's a regional thing. races around here would be cancelled for that amount of rain.

still, my grips don't slip when wet. must be installation error or you are using crappy grips.

mtbr member
    Had old worn oury lockonz that couldn't be rotated any more, so I peeled the rubber off the lockon part and put on some fresh new Chunky's and it's great. Stripped the screw in the end this time..

I like to take off my gloves for climbs sometimes, now it's like
    Attachment 939698

Moderator Moderator
    Jun 2006
    still, my grips don't slip when wet. must be installation error or you are using crappy grips.
    Nope. Grips used regularly in messy conditions will end up slipping over time unless mounted in some way that requires cutting them off. Wire and grip glue is about the closest you can get to lock-ons, and way more messy and a PIA (plus I end up getting poked by the damn wire all the time).

Sure, if you just get caught in a little sprinkle very occasionally but in general your bike and trails are always shiny and dry and pristine, you'll probably be fine. That's just not how it is where we live though. If you only ride on perfect sunny days, you don't ride all that much.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Clamp-on grips vs. glue-on grips. Does it really matter?

mbtr member
    I got 6 stitches in my leg when a odi lock on ring caught me jumping off.

Resting large hands on the ring makes my pinkies fall asleep.

Thin lock ons have no padding.

I prefer standard grips.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

I ride a Swarf

Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    ^^^My thoughts exactly...I never ride in the rain.
    Guessing neither of you live in the UK then...if you didn't ride in the rain you'd hardly get to ride in some years.

Lock on user here. Guessing the term glue on came from a young'n that only thought that grips were lock on.
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

Moderator Moderator
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Ever ridden with slipping grips? Trust me, it matters.

I've never owned a set of non-lock grips that didn't eventually start slipping, either due to dirt, rain, mud or sweat. Never owned a lock-on set that moved at all until I wanted them to. Good enough fer me!
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

I like turtles
    Never had this issue but I ride in dry conditions.

Funny thread!

Get a grip people.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    Ever ridden with slipping grips? Trust me, it matters.
    I put standard grips on with hairspray and they don't move. It's not an issue. I'm not saying they are better than lock-ons but they do work.

I had a pair of Specialized lock-on grips I had to bin because the allan bolt stripped. I didn't bin them actually, I sent them back to Specialized.

Moderator Moderator
    Jun 2006
    I put standard grips on with hairspray and they don't move. It's not an issue. I'm not saying they are better than lock-ons but they do work.
    I used to use hairspray for my MTB grips before lock-ons came around (still do on my BMX bikes). Works fine for awhile in generally pleasant conditions. Straight alcohol seems to do a little better in the wet than hairspray IME; I think hairspray has some sort of residue that once it gets wet again, even a little, you might as well just take the grips off and ride bare bars.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Moderator Moderator
    For me...

Lock ons

Pros -Easiest on/off/adjust
    Cons - thin padding + bad hands = I can only ride Ergons. Standard grips all feel like rebar to me.

Also, harder to customize the length.

Standard grips
    Pros - wider range of thicknesses and hardness. Cut them to any length.
    Cons - slightly slower to change

I rode standard grips for 25 years and never had one slip once I learned about rubbing alcohol. Slide em on in seconds. Slip a screwdriver under them, gloop a little alcohol inside and they twist right off. You do have to wait for them to dry overnight.

And, I don't ride for hours in the rain, so that issue is moot for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Seriously though I personally rank Lock Ons up towards the top of best inventions of all time in the mtb world.

Seriously?

It's a non-issue IMO. I've always picked my grips based on feel and comfort, some of my favorites have been lock-ons but a lot of them aren't.

Either type takes about exactly the same amount of time to install or remove for me, actually I'd say probably a little faster for the non lock-ons. Easy on- easy off with an air compressor.

Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Seriously?

It's a non-issue IMO. I've always picked my grips based on feel and comfort, some of my favorites have been lock-ons but a lot of them aren't.

Either type takes about exactly the same amount of time to install or remove for me, actually I'd say probably a little faster for the non lock-ons. Easy on- easy off with an air compressor.
    Seriously yes!
    In my opinion the Lock On invention was a game changing design. And in my opinion one of the best inventions to hit the mtb sport. It's kinda hard to find an air compressor or carry one. An Allen wrench though can be carried and used in seconds to remove and put back on. Zero slippage zero mess.

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryman View Post
    Cons - thin padding + bad hands = I can only ride Ergons. Standard grips all feel like rebar to me.
    I tried a pair of those, when i set them up kinda-flat like they recommend i thought my hands were gonna go sliding off the tops of the bars. Didn't happen, but it was unnerving. I took them out twice on 2 timid rides and returned them to REI.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

fog
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I have had standard grips put on with hairspray and wired on that slipped.
    I now use Ergons and have no problems and really like them.
    Wayne

I like turtles
    Seriously yes!
    In my opinion the Lock On invention was a game changing design. And in my opinion one of the best inventions to hit the mtb sport. It's kinda hard to find an air compressor or carry one. An Allen wrench though can be carried and used in seconds to remove and put back on. Zero slippage zero mess.
    I am not sure I have ever heard of someone having a mid-ride grip adjustment.

mtbr member
    Hold up fellas, gotta adjust my grips- ¿@^&*! forgot my f-ing air compressor!!! Oh well, guess I'll have to walk out...............

No. Just No.
    The lock-on collar makes it easier to adjust them back after they slip during a ride. Oh, wait...
    Nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Moderator Moderator
    Jun 2006
    Can't say I've had to mess w/ them mid ride XCing, but they've been a bonus doing a quick fix in a parking lot or camp or base of the mtn in the middle of a day of DHing lots of times.

I agree with DJ about them being one of my all-time favorite tech advances; put on grips all sorts of ways and only found one that totally did away with slippage. Huge fan (as if you can't tell).
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Hold up fellas, gotta adjust my grips- ¿@^&*! forgot my f-ing air compressor!!! Oh well, guess I'll have to walk out...............
    Ha,ha alright you two need to get a grip.

I think you can see,why I said that. JB Weld mentioned how easy it is to change out regular grips with his compressor. Seems to reason an allen head wrench on person is certainly easier than carrying a compressor. Sure not likely a mid trail change out but it is a possibility and given that circumstance which grip system would you rather have.

Got ya over a barrel there you old fashioned grip masters.

No. Just No.
    Let me see if I've got this straight ; standard grips don't stay put so we should use lock-ons, but standard grips are near impossible to move without alcohol and/or compressor which is why we should use lock-ons in case we have to make trail side adjustments to our grips? There's some logical disconnect here. I used to appreciate lock-ons when I had my last set of brakes without full split clamps, but that was a few years ago.

I think you can see,why I said that. JB Weld mentioned how easy it is to change out regular grips with his compressor. Seems to reason an allen head wrench on person is certainly easier than carrying a compressor. Sure not likely a mid trail change out but it is a possibility and given that circumstance which grip system would you rather have.

Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    Let me see if I've got this straight ; standard grips don't stay put so we should use lock-ons, but standard grips are near impossible to move without alcohol and/or compressor which is why we should use lock-ons in case we have to make trail side adjustments to our grips? There's some logical disconnect here. I used to appreciate lock-ons when I had my last set of brakes without full split clamps, but that was a few years ago.
    Yeah that's about the gist of it. And now? So you went back to standard glue on grips. That's kinda like going back to rotary dial telephones.

Seriously though it amazes me that with the technology of Lock On grips [that BTW are at least
    14 years old now] that anybody still uses 1960's
    Schwinn Stingray glue on technique grips.

Rock and/or Roll
    So, from what I can read here, lock-on grips are one of the major significant advances in MTB technology, like disc brakes.
    And, they are revered by riders that can't seem to get conventional grips mounted on their bikes correctly, or have their grips come loose during extended, wet or muddy rides.

Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by turbogrover View Post
    So, from what I can read here, lock-on grips are one of the major significant advances in MTB technology, like disc brakes.
    And, they are revered by riders that can't seem to get conventional grips mounted on their bikes correctly, or have their grips come loose during
    extended, wet or muddy rides.

Interesting.
    First part is dead on. Second part is a bit shaky.

No. Just No.
    Yeah that's about the gist of it. And now? So you went back to standard glue on grips.
    No glue here. Like I said, all controls with split clamps now means any need for grip install or removal is super rare, as in a couple of years between. I like to use the simplest solution that has the function I need. Standard grips are simpler than lock-ons at 1 part per grip versus 3-5 parts (grip, 1 or 2 clamps + hex bolt per clamp), so easy choice for me.

No glue here. Like I said, all controls with split clamps now means any need for grip install or removal is super rare, as in a couple of years between. I like to use the simplest solution that has the function I need. Standard grips are simpler than lock-ons at 1 part per grip versus 3-5 parts (grip, 1 or 2 clamps + hex bolt per clamp), so easy choice for me.
    Well it took 3 pages of comments to get one post that made sense as a pro towards standard glue on grips. And even that was because your case is unique. You get a pass my friend.

Moderator Moderator
    Jun 2006
    Let me see if I've got this straight ; standard grips don't stay put so we should use lock-ons, but standard grips are near impossible to move without alcohol and/or compressor which is why we should use lock-ons in case we have to make trail side adjustments to our grips?
    I don't think anybody said anyone else should or shouldn't use anything, or cares the slightest. Just sharing that they've had a good experience with a product. Didn't notice anything about non-lockers being impossible to work or making trailside adjustments.

Though it is kinda amusing to hear that someone considers lock-ons too 'complicated'.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member

Only on Mtbr will people fight and get defensive about something as trivial as grips. Use what you like, they both have ups and downs.

I like oury grips. I've had grips slip in the rain as well, to the point that one slid right off after a small drop on a downhill, that was an ugly crash and enough for me to give up standard grips forever. Yeah the lock ons aren't as plush due to the hard inner shell, but they don't move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    NEMBA Freetown VP

I like turtles
    I mean....what else would we argue about?

no batteries required
    Strava.

I like turtles

Re: Clamp-on grips vs. glue-on grips. Pros/ Cons?

Oh yeah...and how you carry stuff under your seat

Dirt Bound
    When I replace the Ergons (I wore through) that were on my Monocog when I bought it, I will have standard Oury grips on my four mountain bikes. Once, in fifteen years, I had one grip move a bit. I pulled it, cleaned it and it's been good since. No hairspray or rattle-can needed.

I wear unpadded gloves and find there is a difference in cushion between standard grips and lockons which typically have a hard plastic tube in them.

But man, ride what you like. Grips are (relatively) cheap, so experiment a little.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Clipless

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    Though it is kinda amusing to hear that someone considers lock-ons too 'complicated'.
    I wrote that standard grips are the simplest, which isn't the same as saying lock-ons are too complicated.

Can we revive the Awesome Strap thread and then revisit this one at a later date.

My head hurts.

I like turtles
    ^^^hahaha

mtbr member
    This is the Internet. If you can't demean others preferences to exert your own egotistical superiority in a metaphorical pi$$ing match, why bother to log in?
    Kidding of course. Kind of.
    I prefer 'regular' grips. I see the appeal of lock ons, but I like to lean my bike against things and prefer the soft rubber end over a metal ring at the end. I also use twist shifters and don't dig a metal ring in the middle of where my hands go. I haven't seen a lock on grip thats 60-80 mm long so as to not cram my shifters to the middle of the bar with an unused 40mm of grips at the outer edge.

no batteries required
    Can we revive the Awesome Strap thread and then revisit this one at a later date. My head hurts.
    Back Country Research is introducing a new line of grips, they are so good they are beyond awesome. they will be know as Fawesome Grips.

Moderator Moderator
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ARandomBiker View Post
    I haven't seen a lock on grip thats 60-80 mm long so as to not cram my shifters to the middle of the bar with an unused 40mm of grips at the outer edge.
    You can get them in 75mm length from a few different mfgers - my kid runs them on his bike w/ Gripshift.

ODI Grip Shift Lock On Replacement Grips > Components > Handlebars and Stems > Grips | Jenson USA
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    One of the things I didn't like about the lock-on grips I had were that they felt thick yet had little padding. There was a plastic sleeve that slid over the bar and the rubber was on top of that. The result was half the thickness of the grip was taken up by the plastic whereas a standard grip would be rubber all the way through.

No. Just No.
    Can we revive the Awesome Strap thread and then revisit this one at a later date.
    I use BR's "Mutherload" strap to carry my air compressor around on rides in case I need to do trail side grip adjustments. It is indeed f'awesome.

I use BR's "Mutherload" strap to carry my air compressor around on rides in case I need to do trail side grip adjustments. It is indeed f'awesome.
    Now you're on to something where do I sign up.

mtbr member
    I must admit, I do not understand this strap idea at all. You take a perfectly good saddle bag, throw most of it away so you only have the strap left and call it progress?!

No. Just No.
    I must admit, I do not understand this strap idea at all. You take a perfectly good saddle bag, throw most of it away so you only have the strap left and call it progress?!
    Looking at it in the reverse, the bag is taking what was originally a perfectly good strap, then puts this whole extraneous bag thing around it even if it isn't needed for the things it's holding and the bag either bounces around (if no post loop) or else fouls up the motion of your dropper post.

j/k as I've said before, I use any combination of strap, saddle bag, backpack, etc. that suits my needs on a given ride. They all serve a legit purpose.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    One of the things I didn't like about the lock-on grips I had were that they felt thick yet had little padding. There was a plastic sleeve that slid over the bar and the rubber was on top of that. The result was half the thickness of the grip was taken up by the plastic whereas a standard grip would be rubber all the way through.
    And this is what I'm noticing. I can't see any common sense reason that makes clamp-on grips better. I think they were invented for people that don't know how to apply grip glue.

Grips only last 6 months anyways. I'm going to try some glue-ons. After all, they don't move on my 50hp dirt bike that's ridden in wet conditions and is jumped 100'+.

Thanks for the responses guys, although most of them had no logical reasoning behind them.

mtbr member
    Take ODI as an example. Ruffian grips are very thin. I use them on my full springer and get great "rider connection" with them. I will be using the Rogue grips on my rigid fork. Much thicker and squishier grip there. Not all lock-ons are thin. The Renthals lockers you are looking at claim different squish, but when you look at them they all look to be the same thinness just different rubber compounds.
    They look very similar to ODI Ruffians.

mtbr member
    Looking at it in the reverse, the bag is taking what was originally a perfectly good strap, then puts this whole extraneous bag thing around it
    Well, My bag was coated in thick mud by the end of Saturday but thanks to its existence the tools inside it weren't. And at least if the straps on the bag do get loose it'll still keep a hold of my stuff!

This ^^^

Looking at it in the reverse, the bag is taking what was originally a perfectly good strap, then puts this whole extraneous bag thing around it even if it isn't needed for the things it's holding and the bag
    either bounces around (if no post loop) or else
    fouls up the motion of your dropper post.

j/k as I've said before, I use any combination of
    strap, saddle bag, backpack, etc. that suits my
    needs on a given ride. They all serve a legit
    purpose.
    All this without a PB&J sammage
    solution. Don't come back with a Jersey
    pocket. We all know that's not the right
    solution. If all the essentials are not included in the pack / strap it gets a big fail.

mtbr member
    Pardon the pun but I'm stuck on "glue on" grips. They are slightly longer than the lock ons and cushioned throughout (no metal band). Lizard skins in particular are my fav. Plus they offer more cushion without being too thick.
    FWIW I do have a compressor though which makes it much easier.

No. Just No.
    If all the essentials are not included in the pack / strap it gets a big fail.
    Joey agrees with you.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3tqQj4loAgg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Quote Originally Posted by BMC FS View Post
    Pardon the pun but I'm stuck on "glue on" grips. They are slightly longer than the lock ons and cushioned throughout (no metal band). Lizard skins in particular are my fav. Plus they offer more cushion without being too thick.
    FWIW I do have a compressor though which makes
    it much easier.
    I was with you until I looked at my 3" alle,wrench compared to your 120 lbs electric compressor that takes 15 minutes to build up pressure and wakes the neighborhood up.

mtbr member
    We all know that's not the right
    solution. If all the essentials are not included in the pack / strap it gets a big fail.
    For some maybe, I find jersey pockets quite useful.

So non lock-on grips = awesome strap? This place is getting weirder every day..........

And please, stop calling them glue-ons!!! I've installed hundreds of standard grips and have never once used glue.

Joey agrees with you.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3tqQj4loAgg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Ha,ha thanks for the memories.
    So basically the Awesome Strap now has a slang term. "Man Purse"

No. Just No.
    Ha,ha thanks for the memories.
    So basically the Awesome Strap now has a slang term. "Man Purse"
    I see what you did there. So does everyone else.

Bag. Sammage. Joey. Dirtjunkie. Case closed.

For some maybe, I find jersey pockets quite useful.

So non lock-on grips = awesome strap? This place is getting weirder every day..........

And please, stop calling them glue-ons!!! I've installed hundreds of standard grips and have
    never once used glue.
    Glue on / hair spray on. What's tbe politically correct term in 2014'. I know back in the 70's when we glued the grips on our Schwinn Stingrays we just called them dangerous.

No. Just No.
    There's so much potential here I feel like we've barely scratched the surface. Forget the old standbys like wheel size debates, baggies vs. spandex, clipless vs. flats, and bottles vs. packs. Those are all tired subjects with nothing new to offer. We need to know the skinny on;

• full length cable housings or liners vs. exposed cables
    • torx vs. hex heads
    • go to the way back machine for spline drive vs. square spoke nipples
    • then back to the future for mechanical vs. electronic shifting which is sure to be a hot topic increasing in temperature over the next couple of years once Shimano Di2 starts to be seen on bikes on the trails

I predict this thread will hit at least 80 posts minimum.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006

Seriously though it amazes me that with the technology of Lock On grips [that BTW are at least
    14 years old now] that anybody still uses 1960's
    Schwinn Stingray glue on technique grips.
    It amazes me that you keep trolling on and on about how what YOU like is the only logical option for everybody.

I like turtles
    I can only hope that Backcountry Research makes millions off of all of this limelight.

mtbr member
    Glue on / hair spray on. What's tbe politically correct term in 2014'. I know back in the 70's when we glued the grips on our Schwinn Stingrays we just called them dangerous.
    I remember when Aqua-Net was for potato guns and bouffant hairdos only. Mostly potato guns.

No. Just No.
    I can only hope that Backcountry Research makes millions off of all of this limelight.
    Apparently the BR staff arrived to work on Monday and found a row of new Lambos, one for each of them, waiting in the parking lot as a performance bonus for the recent sales explosion.

mtbr member
    Backcountry Research? How to make a luggage strap sound hi-tech! ;0)

Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    It amazes me that you keep trolling on and on about how what YOU like is the only logical option for everybody.
    Yes I must rethink this.........well I've come to the conclusion that I was right all along. I thank you though Sir for bringing me to my senses.

Quote Originally Posted by Bone Shaker View Post
    I remember when Aqua-Net was for potato guns and bouffant hairdos only. Mostly potato guns.
    Yes Aqua Net works great in potato cannons. Although the earlier version cannons used lighter fluid and tennis balls. And instead of PVC pipe beer cans were used and taped together.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Back in the day one of my chores was to burn the trash, in the infamous "burning barrel" (redneck Midwesterner here). Nothing brought me more joy than collecting my sister's aqua net bottles and tossing them into the weekly burn. Good times, good times.

mtbr member
    My earliest memories were with tennis balls and tennis ball cans for the barrel.
    Eyebrows and Aqua-Net didn't stand a chance at my house.

My earliest memories were with tennis balls and tennis ball cans for the barrel.
    I was a just a kid at probably 8 years old in the late 60's. We used to go camping in the Adirondacks and our family would meet up with a couple of other families.One of the fathers big thing for the kids was this beer can tennis ball lighter fluid cannon thingamajig. He would cut the tops and bottoms off several beer cans and duct tape them together. The bottom can he would leave in tack except a small hole punched in the bottom of it. Stuff the tennis ball all the way down the tube to the bottom can. Take lighter fluid and pour it in the tube lining the inside of the tube with it. Then pour a little lighter fluid in the hole at the bottom of the bottom can. Take a wooden stick match and strike it and stick it in that hole and BOOM the tennis ball would launch a 100' or more in the air. If you did that for the kids in this day and age they'd lock your ass up.

You may be interested in this thread.

Childhood Memories / Toy's And Or Stories...

mtbr member
    You may be interested in this thread.
    Lots of great memories there. I had lots of those toys. I broke my collar bone chasing that stupid plastic water rocket.
    I sort of flashed through the thread but I don't recall seeing anything about the Pet Rock or Lemon Twist although I doubt anyone would admit to owning one.
    Anybody remember what color Stretch Armstrong's gooey innards were? That stuff would probably make great grip glue.

Merendon Junkie
    I use both, regular esi chunky grips are the one I find the most comfortable. The major gripe I have with lock ons is when they become fused to the bars due to swear residue. You have to remember to take them off and clean them every couple of months, if not, its hammer time. No amount of twisting or prying will remove a fused lock on grip.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast