Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I have and use both King and Cane Creek, and they
    have been trouble free.

mtbr member
    I was fortunate enough to get a CK bottom bracket and hubs on my bike when I purchased it used. It would be near impossible for me to justify spending CK money on these components. That being said, now that I have had the pleasure of owning/using them I am very spoiled. I liken it to closing a door on a Kia or on a BMW, you just can feel the difference.

As to your specific component in question being the headset I do not own one but have used the others mentioned above. For me at least with an XC riding frame of mind I can see saving a few bucks on the headset with another brand and being just as well off. If you are one to re-use as others have said then the quality will show down the road, for me components go with the bike when I sell.

Life Is Short
    FSA Pig Pro. I don't care if its made in Taiwan. CK is good too but I don't have one. I also don't have HBO or Showtime.

The Pig Pro. $35 at Pricepoint. Sealed bearings.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    I have had the same King HS in three different frames over the last 10 years. It has worked perfectly. With that said, the quality of the King now does not justify its huge price tag.You can get serveral comprable HS's for around $50 less than a King! For example- I have Hope HS's on two bikes and the quality and performance is nothing less than outstanding. You can pick up a Hope for around $85....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is Chris King really worth the $$$-hope-headset-zoom.jpg  

mtbr member
    I buy for a number of reasons made in USA and environmental sensitive manufacturing practices.

Sustainable Manufacturing | Chris King Precision Components

ready to ride
    For what it's worth the Cane Creek 110 headsets are made in the USA. Their production facility is just outside of Asheville, NC.

No experience with CK but I have zero complaints about my 110.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocop View Post
    I had a King headset on my last bike, but now have FSA Integrated because it came with the frame. To be honest, performance-wise I cannot tell the difference. We will see with longevity. I need to speak on the rear hubs though..... To be clear, I have nothing King on my current bike. Am using Hope rear hub which I like alot....great POE super loud, super blingy, etc....BUT. I am currently at UBI, and on Thursday we had the opportunity to take apart king rear hubs. The tooling provided by king to service their stuff alone is unbelievable quality. Like stuff you would hang on a wall. The axle, freehub body, and ring drive mechanism in the King is stunning! Every axle inside the hub has it's own individual run number based on the diminishing tolerances of the tooling used. They are that anal. To order the correct axle for your hub if ever needed requires the exact run number for perfect tolerance. The axle is polished, the interior of the freehub is polished and the ring gears themselves are beautiful. I will not hesitate for an instant to make my next hub a king. We also took apart DT Swiss 350's and 240's. While nice, they were no where near the attention to detail that the Kings had in my opinion.
    This pretty much says it all ^^^^^ the attention to detail and precision is bar none. For a company to be so anal as to require the run number of an axle for replacement. This only makes sense for wear purposes during tooling. But I don't know of any other company that requires this for axle replacement. If they are that anal then you know every aspect of the build is top notch. I have been running CK hubs for 6 years and headset for 10 years. Amazing products but items you upgrade to unless the budget permits.

There are plenty other brands that are more economical and perform with good reliability. If those are more in the budget that's fine. But if the budget ever allows step it up to CK you won't be sorry. CK products have always been at the top and are well known for being one of the few parts on a bike that gets transferred from build to build. Industry 9 makes a top notch product as well. One of the few other brands that are on the same playing field as CK.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

Mulleticious

CK bad boy

Chris King headsets are the Bad Boys... here is proof
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is Chris King really worth the $$$-ck-headset-order.png  

mtbr member
    My opinion... Chris King is all about bling. I've had them and I have installed a lot of them. CK makes nice stuff, but the value isn't there.

I have had a Cane Creek S8 for over a decade. I have had a cheap-o Cane Creek S3 for even longer. I have installed a lot of FSA Pig headsets because they were $15 at one point and have never seen an issue with them. In fact, I have found that FSA Pig's are super easy to install.

You want a headset to last? It's real easy.

1. Face the headtube and install the cups one at a time, properly seated.
    2. Use synthetic greases on your bearings only. Petrol-based just collects dirt.
    3. Do not over tighten your headset.
    4. Service your headset anytime water is involved (washing or otherwise).
    5. Service your headset at least twice a year.

If you really want one to last, use steel cups and anything other than loose bearings.

Overpaying for things like handlebars, headsets, seatposts, stems... it's a waste. If you want to put some money into something that matters, buy some nice wheels and brakes. After all, it's a bike, it has to roll and stop.
    - The only thing that keeps me on a bike is happiness.

usually cranky
    imo no way for headsets. fsa and cane creek are better for less money. as far as other stuff tough call, personally id look at other brands first.

mtbr member
    They are a quality product for sure. Excellent customer service as well. I have used them a lot for both hubs and headsets in the past, but currently I have no CK stuff on my bike. Will I get some in the future? Ya, I would seriously consider their products for sure.

Warrior's Society
    I am extremely happy with them......

Bought a CK BB about 3 years ago when they first came out. About 4 weeks ago while installing my chainguide, the socket tool slipped and galled up the drive side up....to the point, that I had to nearly destroy it just to get it out of my frame. Call up CK to get an RA# to send it back to get a new cup installed. $65 I was told, plus I could change the color.

Well today, my brand new CK bottom bracket showed up.....no rebuilt....but exchanged completely.....for free. Sweet!

So yes, sometimes they are worth the money.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    I have one on my new bike and I'd say they are definitely not worth the money. No headset is really worth what they charge for them, honestly.

The thing doesn't even make a full rotation. You can buy Gas Turbine Generator bearings that run at 16,000 RPMs at 700 degF for less than a bike headset that turns at about 1/40 RPMs...and not even a full R!

(I may be exaggerating a bit on the GTG bearings but you get the point)
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

Probably drunk right now

Is Chris King really worth the $$$

Is it worth it to who? There are two answers: 1. Yes 2. No

I have a King headset that has been on several frames (back when there was a standard, this was possible). I bought it when I had more disposable income and before many competitors were offering high end/high tolerance machined parts. 13 years ago, it was worth it to me. Today, maybe I'dale a different decision. But I don't have to.

Sent from my rotary phone and compiled with a telegraph machine.
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OmaHaq View Post
    My opinion... Chris King is all about bling. I've had them and I have installed a lot of them. CK makes nice stuff, but the value isn't there.
    AHEM major BS!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC View Post
    I have a King headset that has been on several frames (back when there was a standard, this was possible). I bought it when I had more disposable income and before many competitors were offering high end/high tolerance machined parts. 13 years ago, it was worth it to me. Today, maybe I'dale a different decision. But I don't have to.
    That's my take on it as well. 15 years ago, pretty much every headset except CK had a lifespan of around 2-3 years. If I didn't want to rebuild headsets every couple months and/or replace them every couple years, a CK was about the only option. So I got one. Headsets have come a long way since those days, lots of companies now make a headset that'll go 5-10 years with only minimal maintenance so there's no reason for me to shell out for a King. Currently running a Cane Creek 110 since it's sealed better and I hate working on my own bikes, anything that reduces service is something that I'll pay for.

As for CK's other products, I like their front hubs but the rears seemed a bit finicky to me from my shop mechanic experience. They worked well but needed a bit more care than I'm willing to invest in my personal gear.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2