Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    rjx
    mtbr member

Chainreaction Cycles & U.S. Residents

I live in California and I just received my first ever order from CRC (UK). For those of you in the United States, I’d like to hear what your experiences have been. Did you have a similar experience regarding CRC’s packing?

This is what I ordered.

Shimano XT M771 10 Speed MTB Cassette
    Shimano XT HG95 10 Speed Chain
    Shimano Zee M640 Shadow+ 10 Speed Rear Mech
    Shimano Saint MX80 Flat Pedals
    Shimano SLX RT68 Ice-Tech Centre Lock Disc Rotor

When the package arrived a little while ago I was very nervous to see what was inside because:

The USPS maillady said the package was not sealed when they received it, that someone from USPS had to tape it. There is red ink stamps all over the front of the box saying the following:

Received
    - Unsealed
    - Without Contents
    - In Damaged Condition

When I held the box all the contents were sliding around as if there was no padding / stuffing inside.

The shipping box had torn pieces of cardboard on the top side (label side) that had been taped over.

There was no stuffing inside the box when I looked inside. And the box is at least double the size than was needed.

All five of my items were there, along with a receipt. All items appear to be fine.

The box CRC used is IMO very cheap and flimsy. And CRC did not tape the box because the box they used had adhesive on it that was supposed to seal the box shut which did not work very well during the long distance the box traveled.

The box has a pull tab which runs down the top center of the box. The box was supposed to arrive to me intact, and I would have opened it by pulling the pull tab. Well, 1/4 of the front of the box had been smashed, causing almost 1/2 of the pull tab to separate from the box.

Regarding the items I purchased:

- The derailleur, chain, and Saint pedals arrived in their retail boxes.
    - The Cassette arrived in a small Chain Reaction Cycles box that appears to be about 1/2 inch too small because a cog has almost penetrated through the box. The user manual was also included.
    - The Rotor arrived in bubble wrap with a user manual.

I was not aware when I ordered the Rotor and Cassette they would not be in their retail packaging. I do not see it on their respective pages anything about OEM.
    Shimano SLX RT68 Ice-Tech Centre Lock Disc Rotor | Chain Reaction Cycles
    Shimano XT M771 10 Speed MTB Cassette | Chain Reaction Cycles

So my gripes with CRC are:
    - Using a flimsy, thin box with no tape to ship merchandise over 5,500 miles.
    - Not putting anything in the shipping box to prevent the contents from crashing around in transit.
    - Not mentioning on the website if an item is OEM.

Other than that, I got my items for less money than I could find anywhere else on the net thanks to their low prices + a 10% off coupon + free s/h. And the items seem to be fine.

I used the free s/h option.
    I placed my order on 5/14
    My order shipped on 5/17
    And I received it on 5/23

Last night I was thinking of buying a Sun Ringle Charger Expert wheelset from CRC with the current 10% off coupon for $310.49. But after receiving my CRC order today, I don’t know if I’ll make another order with them. I have some thinking to do.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Never had any problems with them, but, good to know.

mtbr member
    My shipment earlier this week had the same problem, open on one side, much larger box than needed, no packing materials. I think they were under duress from heavy ordering due to the sales they were running, but I would suggest you shoot them an email like I did. Might be one person developing bad habits that they can fix ASAP. I've not had any issues with previous shipments.

Desert of the real
    Aug 2013
    Had similar issues, they are bad about shopworn/OEM stuff not being marked as such. I'd bet you they'll do something for you if you have damage on any items.

They have been impeccable about returns, and have given me partial refunds on already good prices when I've given them crap about it. Unfortunately, a return costs a LOT to ship. Gotta remember you're not paying much for service...

mtbr member
    I buy from the US strictly since the money spent here goes into the business cycle of whichever state the company is from. I have seen the prices from CRC and they are not any better than Jenson, WheelWorld, etc. I have heard the same opinion from friends regarding their packaging.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I have never purchased anything outside of the US but this is good to know. BikeParts.com is by far the best online retailer I have ever dealt with. Everything I have ever ordered came in OEM packaging, all shipped through USPS with a correct size box and enough packing material so the parts wouldnt slide around as easily in the box.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Never had a problem with CRC, I've placed 4 or 5 orders in the last 2 years.

Like others have said, shoot them an email and at least inform them of it. They at least have a good reputation, I would assume they'd like to keep that intact.

rjx
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zgroove View Post
    I buy from the US strictly since the money spent here goes into the business cycle of whichever state the company is from. I have seen the prices from CRC and they are not any better than Jenson, WheelWorld, etc. I have heard the same opinion from friends regarding their packaging.
    Some of the prices are better than other online shops, some aren't. By splitting my bike build purchases between RIbble Cycles, Chain Reaction (10% code), Competitive Cyclist (21% code), Universal Cycles (15% code), Bikeman, all with no tax and free s/h, I'm saving hundreds which will help me afford better quality wheels, fork, etc.

Shimano Saint Pedals
    CRC $62.49
    Jenson $74.95

Shimano XT M771 Cassette
    CRC $42.29
    Jenson $59.99

Shimano XT HG95 10 Speed MTB Chain
    CRC $22.49
    Jenson $33.99

Shimano M640 Zee Rear Derailleur
    CRC $56.69
    Jenson $77.99

CRC = $183.96
    Jenson = $246.92 + 7.50% Tax = $265.44

I don't like that there was no padding inside the box. But it's not like I had camera or computer parts in there. My big issue is they should consider using better quality boxes w/ tape when shipping to far away countries.

Still not sure if I'll give them another chance though. What if I make another order and the box gets banged up even more and something is damaged? Too much hassle.

I don't fault them for what happens to the package once they submit it for shipping. But they could take into account that some of their packages will be in for a long, rough journey.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    I've ordered from them and had no issues whatsoever. Perhaps the contents were inspected somewhere along the way?

mtbr member
    thats too bad. i ordered several times from them with no problems with packing. shipping was so fast i would have thought they were stateside.

let us know what they say if you email them.

rjx
    mtbr member
    I received an email response from CRC:
    Thank you for taking time to provide us with your feedback.
    Please be assured, we are listening closely to all feedback and we work hard on continual improvements to give you a really good shopping experience.
    We apologise for the inconvenience experienced, we will pass this information about the packaging onto the warehouse manager to look into.
    The reply also explained what OEM is because I said there should be some kind of notice if a certain product they sell doesn't come in it's original retail packaging.

If anyone has any issues with their order, you can contact CRC here:
    *Contact Us | Chain Reaction Cycles

I used the feedback option at the bottom.

mtbr member
    I have ordered from CRC 3 times. The first and last, the box was well packaged with bunched up packing paper holding everything tight in the box and it was in good condition. The second time however, i had a very similar experience. The box was about 5 times the volume necessary (tools, derailleur, a couple small items) with zero packing material and by the time it arrived the box looked like it was used as a wheel chock somewhere along the way. No material damage to anything in side but it seems like they might have a part-timer-evening-warehousing-guy doing a shite job at packing. Thats shipping to Canada btw.

mtbr member
    I have purchased from CRC several times. Zero issues with packaging. My only issue was with USPS not wanting to leave my parts at my door and me being too busy to get to the Post Office to pick them up. USPS was about to send the parts back to CRC. What hassle, but not CRC's fault.
    I find that their prices fluctuate depending upon the current exchange rate. If you are patient and mindful of the current exchange rates, you can get some killer deals from them.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

I've ordered from CRC several times, and never had delivered by USPS. Always came from DHL, with me having to pay customs charge on one of the three times

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bicyclebillpdx View Post
    I've ordered from CRC several times, and never had delivered by USPS. Always came from DHL, with me having to pay customs charge on one of the three times
    Did you pay for shipping or get their free shipping?
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Always free because they've been $300+ orders.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    The only time I ordered anything from outside North America was a camera lens I bought on eBay. The package and lens showed up and it looked like it was run over by a truck. Lens smashed completely. I got my $ back but I'll never order from outside the N. America again.
    2016 Santa Cruz Hightower 29er
    2016 Chromag Surface 27.5+
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er

mtbr member
    I just ordered new XT Brakes and Rotors with them.

Order Placed: 5/22
    Order shipped: 5/26

They have yet to arrive but when they do I'll report on the packaging.
    Ride: 2016 Yeti SB5.5c
    Retired: 2014 Yeti SB66AC

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by HighSpeedChase View Post
    I just ordered new XT Brakes and Rotors with them.

Order Placed: 5/22
    Order shipped: 5/26

They have yet to arrive but when they do I'll report on the packaging.
    Nothing bothers me more when a mail order company charges my card as soon as the order is placed but then doesn't ship it for a week. Poor business practice.
    2016 Santa Cruz Hightower 29er
    2016 Chromag Surface 27.5+
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession View Post
    Nothing bothers me more when a mail order company charges my card as soon as the order is placed but then doesn't ship it for a week. Poor business practice.
    I agree! This is my first time ordering outside the U.S. Normally I buy local or from US dealers. The price was pretty killer though. I ordered front and rear XTs with a 203F/180R rotor set for $260. Cheapest I could come up with from US online dealers was $315.

The "processing" time did bother me already, We will see what happens when they arrive.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Have you try contacting them? Once I receive my order with a floor pump unwrap, it get damage (scratch) during transport, and they send me a voucher code for about 50% of the price of the pump. In fact they ask me if I would like refund and return the pump, our a deal...

I must order from them 3 times a year for the past 4 year or so. One of the best online store. Also try : bike24.com

B.Ike
    Quote Originally Posted by rjx View Post
    Last night I was thinking of buying a Sun Ringle Charger Expert wheelset from CRC with the current 10% off coupon for $310.49. But after receiving my CRC order today, I don’t know if I’ll make another order with them. I have some thinking to do.
    bikewagon has that wheelset for 279 with free shipping. There's been 10% coupons but I don't know if there's a valid one going right now.
    edit: I just looked and see there's only 29er at that price.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    My order of XT brakes, rotors, and kneepads and the parcel arrived yesterday 5/27.
    No complaints about packaging, delivery time, and pricing...
    But guess what? rotors and kneepads were in the box but no XT brakes!!!
    This is so disappointing, I've sent them an email and they asked me to fill up a missing item declaration form which I've filled up and sent back.
    We'll see how fast they send me the missing items.
    I have ordered wheels from them before and was very pleased with product, deal, and excellent customer service so I think it's only fair to give them a chance to see how they respond to this mishap.

mtbr member
    So I received My XT brakes and rotors from them yesterday 6/2. I placed my order on 5/22 and the order was shipped 5/26.

One end of the box was open a tad but everything inside was intact and in working order. Got everything installed last night with no issues.

All in all I'm happy with my purchase. I saved almost $60. My only complaint would be their order processing time. The ship time itself coming all the way from UK was pretty good I think.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by HighSpeedChase View Post
    So I received My XT brakes and rotors from them yesterday 6/2. I placed my order on 5/22 and the order was shipped 5/26.

One end of the box was open a tad but everything inside was intact and in working order. Got everything installed last night with no issues.

All in all I'm happy with my purchase. I saved almost $60. My only complaint would be their order processing time. The ship time itself coming all the way from UK was pretty good I think.

HighSpeedchase,

it was a good deal and good for you to have a pretty good turnaround time with no issues.
    My order was placed last May 17. My original parcel arrived May 27, but was missing the XT brakes!
    I've responded and filed the missing item claim as soon as 5/28, and the re-order only shipped yesterday June 2.
    I guess it's not such a bad experience, I just hope they get it right this time when the re-order arrives!

mtbr member
    I order from them a couple times a year and have never had a problem, just received a package yesterday in the same kind of packaging you described, seems they have gone to a cheaper package to send products. I also suspected something might be damaged as the packaging looked crushed in one area. Amaong other things I had 4 sets of XO brake pads, one of the packages had opened and the contents were scattered around inside the box. Everything appeared to be in ok shape though.
    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

Epic eater
    Oct 2005
    I placed an order with CRC and didn't know they weren't US based (I know, n00b mistake) until after the order confirmation.

Order placed: May 12
    Order Dispatched: May 13
    Order Arrived (Colorado): May 27

Non-trackable since I choose their free shipping which for my items (derailleur, cassette, chain) was standard mail I guess.

Box had some paper inside but contents could move freely but nothing I got was fragile so that didn't really bother me. The shipping time did though, not CRC's fault they are in the UK but next time I'll probably opt to pay $15 more and have the parts in a few days from a US store.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I ordered from CRC about 3 weeks ago. During this week i emailed them asking about my order since I had not yet recieved it. I got an email back stating that it could take up to a month. The day after that I recieved an email stating that my package was returned to them and to check address. The address was the same I gave them.
    I just told them to keep the package and refund me the money.
    When I ordered I actually didn't relize it wasn't a US company or at least they would have a warehouse in the US. I would never order there again. I actually found my same shipment at pricepoint for around $10 cheaper anyway.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    My XT Brakes arrived today, it was in CRC pacakaging but looks good as new.
    All in all I would say CRC was very good. I ordered May 17, received parcel with missing items May 27.
    By May 28, I had submitted the missing items report, they had started responding May 29 and the missing items shipped June 2 and arrived June 5.
    I will probably still order from them given how much of a good deal they have for some items (XT brakes and Rotors!), plus it's all free delivery... can't really beat that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I have had the same problem. I just had a box arrived smashed no packing at all and stuff missing. I also have a problem with them using DHL cause they dont deliver to north dakota and then they give it to some small company and I have to go pick it up everytime. Not sure if they have control over all that or not. I did contact them about the missing stuff and they sent replacements and in ten more days I got the stuff. I like the prices and stuff but I am starting to rethink getting stuff from them.

29ers Forever
    I have had no problems with CRC. Sure some items didn't come in their original packaging (a XT brake system and both rotors) but the prices are so good that as long as the products are not damaged, it's OK that some are not in the original packaging.

Frickle Frack
    We will see what happens with mine, ordered a stem and a seat post. Ordered it on June 1, dispatched on the 4th. Today is the 12th and it has yet to arrive. Keeping my fingers crossed that it make it here soon and in one piece.

Frickle Frack
    UPDATE* Arrived today in good condition. No paper or padding in the box, one corner of the box was a little tattered but the contents were undamaged. Took 12 days from order date and 9 days from ship date to arrive. About what it took the last time I ordered from them. An added bonus, theY put a discount card in the box for 10% off of my next order.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Its been a few years since I ordered from them, but I just ordered a crankset from them again a few weeks ago. Arrived at my door in Florida in less than 10 business days. Crankset was in a cardboard box, in plastic, surrounded by brown paper. Box was sealed, undamaged, containing all parts.
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

It's about showing up.
    Tiara shifters and levers, in original packaging. Box was big and without padding, ripped open. I figured it was US Customs.

Everything was fine.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    received my first order, extremely fast too; and i live in oregon. parts were in good shape and fairly well packed. box was extremely light but i suspect this was done to save shipping costs. coming from england to the states, every ounce is $

mtbr member
    May 2007
    saved almost 300 over PP or Jenson buying everything for my '14 Spearfish build. had to get the crankset from amazon (turbine cinch) for a huge savings.

Just Ride!
    So no delayed customs fee's or import duties?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I've ordered from CRC maybe 20 times and I've never paid custom or import fees...I've ordered rims,cranks,cassettes etc. Never had anything damaged

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    CRC usually has slow shipping times, but understandable given the distance. I ordered some shin guards and they started coming apart. They promptly sent a replacement set and said to dispose of the defective set. Stand up company if you ask me.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Placed my order Sunday. It got to Memphis yesterday (I'm in Mississippi) and is set to be delivered tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    My order supposedly shipped on 12-2-14. As of today I have still not received it. According to CRC they order was shipped via a "standard delivery service" and cannot be tracked.

I have never heard of a shipment that cannot be tracked. I am very frustrated right now.

Graveyard Shift
    Wow, I've ordered from them tons of times and never experienced any of this (but I'm from the superior land of Canada :P). Sorry you guys have had such struggles, I'd get in touch with them and see what they can do for you. At the very least disappointment ought to be registered.
    Long is the way, and hard.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristianCoté View Post
    (but I'm from the superior land of Canada :P).
    Canada is great! It is the United States's biggest national Forrest. Breathtaking scenery!

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by Mason View Post
    My order supposedly shipped on 12-2-14. As of today I have still not received it. According to CRC they order was shipped via a "standard delivery service" and cannot be tracked.

I have never heard of a shipment that cannot be tracked. I am very frustrated right now.
    Do you realize that Chain Reaction Cycles is in Northern Ireland, UK. It's going to take more than a week to ship to you depending on where you live. If you selected standard shipping then of course you cannot track it.
    It has taken at least a week for all the stuff I've ordered to arrive, but they did arrive.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Just an update, My order has been "Shipment on Hold" for two days. I spoke with DHL yesterday and they said that it would be delivered today. Just checked and it's still on hold in memphis (7 hours away). It seems delivery is a long shot today.

Graveyard Shift
    Quote Originally Posted by Mason View Post
    Canada is great! It is the United States's biggest national Forrest. Breathtaking scenery!
    It's what we let you visit sometimes in return for the trillions of dollars you spend on our collective security. Thaaaaaaanks!
    Long is the way, and hard.

Just Ride!
    Well, I subscribed to their newsletter which afforded me $10 off my first order, plus a 10% off Christmas shop code, and free shipping since my order was over $99. This may just be the best Christmas ever!

Perpetual Hack
    Just received an order.
    Box was a bit big, but nothing extreme.
    Well packed with air-pads.
    Well taped - no issues there.

I have dealt with CRC many time over the last few years.
    In a dozen plus orders, never had an issue.

...and this is to Canukistan....

just me 2c
    A Dirtbag since 1969
    A Knomer since 2007

Knolly Podium
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Endorphin

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    A few weeks ago, I ordered an SLX groupset from CRC. I tried to do a prodeal from Shimano, but the discount was quite feeble - the CRC price was much, much better than the prodeal. I placed the order on a Sunday night and got the shipping confirmation the next day. Like other first-time buyers, I was unaware that they were located in the UK, so I figured it would take a couple weeks to get here. The box arrived on Friday - five business days! The box itself was not very sturdy, but everything was packed well and came through just fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast