Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    rjx
    mtbr member

Chainreaction Cycles & U.S. Residents

I live in California and I just received my first ever order from CRC (UK). For those of you in the United States, Iíd like to hear what your experiences have been. Did you have a similar experience regarding CRCís packing?

This is what I ordered.

Shimano XT M771 10 Speed MTB Cassette
    Shimano XT HG95 10 Speed Chain
    Shimano Zee M640 Shadow+ 10 Speed Rear Mech
    Shimano Saint MX80 Flat Pedals
    Shimano SLX RT68 Ice-Tech Centre Lock Disc Rotor

When the package arrived a little while ago I was very nervous to see what was inside because:

The USPS maillady said the package was not sealed when they received it, that someone from USPS had to tape it. There is red ink stamps all over the front of the box saying the following:

Received
    - Unsealed
    - Without Contents
    - In Damaged Condition

When I held the box all the contents were sliding around as if there was no padding / stuffing inside.

The shipping box had torn pieces of cardboard on the top side (label side) that had been taped over.

There was no stuffing inside the box when I looked inside. And the box is at least double the size than was needed.

All five of my items were there, along with a receipt. All items appear to be fine.

The box CRC used is IMO very cheap and flimsy. And CRC did not tape the box because the box they used had adhesive on it that was supposed to seal the box shut which did not work very well during the long distance the box traveled.

The box has a pull tab which runs down the top center of the box. The box was supposed to arrive to me intact, and I would have opened it by pulling the pull tab. Well, 1/4 of the front of the box had been smashed, causing almost 1/2 of the pull tab to separate from the box.

Regarding the items I purchased:

- The derailleur, chain, and Saint pedals arrived in their retail boxes.
    - The Cassette arrived in a small Chain Reaction Cycles box that appears to be about 1/2 inch too small because a cog has almost penetrated through the box. The user manual was also included.
    - The Rotor arrived in bubble wrap with a user manual.

I was not aware when I ordered the Rotor and Cassette they would not be in their retail packaging. I do not see it on their respective pages anything about OEM.
    Shimano SLX RT68 Ice-Tech Centre Lock Disc Rotor | Chain Reaction Cycles
    Shimano XT M771 10 Speed MTB Cassette | Chain Reaction Cycles

So my gripes with CRC are:
    - Using a flimsy, thin box with no tape to ship merchandise over 5,500 miles.
    - Not putting anything in the shipping box to prevent the contents from crashing around in transit.
    - Not mentioning on the website if an item is OEM.

Other than that, I got my items for less money than I could find anywhere else on the net thanks to their low prices + a 10% off coupon + free s/h. And the items seem to be fine.

I used the free s/h option.
    I placed my order on 5/14
    My order shipped on 5/17
    And I received it on 5/23

Last night I was thinking of buying a Sun Ringle Charger Expert wheelset from CRC with the current 10% off coupon for $310.49. But after receiving my CRC order today, I donít know if Iíll make another order with them. I have some thinking to do.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Never had any problems with them, but, good to know.

mtbr member
    My shipment earlier this week had the same problem, open on one side, much larger box than needed, no packing materials. I think they were under duress from heavy ordering due to the sales they were running, but I would suggest you shoot them an email like I did. Might be one person developing bad habits that they can fix ASAP. I've not had any issues with previous shipments.

Oh, the huge-meh-nity
    Aug 2013
    Had similar issues, they are bad about shopworn/OEM stuff not being marked as such. I'd bet you they'll do something for you if you have damage on any items.

They have been impeccable about returns, and have given me partial refunds on already good prices when I've given them crap about it. Unfortunately, a return costs a LOT to ship. Gotta remember you're not paying much for service...

mtbr member
    I buy from the US strictly since the money spent here goes into the business cycle of whichever state the company is from. I have seen the prices from CRC and they are not any better than Jenson, WheelWorld, etc. I have heard the same opinion from friends regarding their packaging.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I have never purchased anything outside of the US but this is good to know. BikeParts.com is by far the best online retailer I have ever dealt with. Everything I have ever ordered came in OEM packaging, all shipped through USPS with a correct size box and enough packing material so the parts wouldnt slide around as easily in the box.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Never had a problem with CRC, I've placed 4 or 5 orders in the last 2 years.

Like others have said, shoot them an email and at least inform them of it. They at least have a good reputation, I would assume they'd like to keep that intact.

rjx
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zgroove View Post
    I buy from the US strictly since the money spent here goes into the business cycle of whichever state the company is from. I have seen the prices from CRC and they are not any better than Jenson, WheelWorld, etc. I have heard the same opinion from friends regarding their packaging.
    Some of the prices are better than other online shops, some aren't. By splitting my bike build purchases between RIbble Cycles, Chain Reaction (10% code), Competitive Cyclist (21% code), Universal Cycles (15% code), Bikeman, all with no tax and free s/h, I'm saving hundreds which will help me afford better quality wheels, fork, etc.

Shimano Saint Pedals
    CRC $62.49
    Jenson $74.95

Shimano XT M771 Cassette
    CRC $42.29
    Jenson $59.99

Shimano XT HG95 10 Speed MTB Chain
    CRC $22.49
    Jenson $33.99

Shimano M640 Zee Rear Derailleur
    CRC $56.69
    Jenson $77.99

CRC = $183.96
    Jenson = $246.92 + 7.50% Tax = $265.44

I don't like that there was no padding inside the box. But it's not like I had camera or computer parts in there. My big issue is they should consider using better quality boxes w/ tape when shipping to far away countries.

Still not sure if I'll give them another chance though. What if I make another order and the box gets banged up even more and something is damaged? Too much hassle.

I don't fault them for what happens to the package once they submit it for shipping. But they could take into account that some of their packages will be in for a long, rough journey.

official eMpTyBRain
    I've ordered from them and had no issues whatsoever. Perhaps the contents were inspected somewhere along the way?
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    thats too bad. i ordered several times from them with no problems with packing. shipping was so fast i would have thought they were stateside.

let us know what they say if you email them.

rjx
    mtbr member
    I received an email response from CRC:
    Thank you for taking time to provide us with your feedback.
    Please be assured, we are listening closely to all feedback and we work hard on continual improvements to give you a really good shopping experience.
    We apologise for the inconvenience experienced, we will pass this information about the packaging onto the warehouse manager to look into.
    The reply also explained what OEM is because I said there should be some kind of notice if a certain product they sell doesn't come in it's original retail packaging.

If anyone has any issues with their order, you can contact CRC here:
    *Contact Us | Chain Reaction Cycles

I used the feedback option at the bottom.

mtbr member
    I have ordered from CRC 3 times. The first and last, the box was well packaged with bunched up packing paper holding everything tight in the box and it was in good condition. The second time however, i had a very similar experience. The box was about 5 times the volume necessary (tools, derailleur, a couple small items) with zero packing material and by the time it arrived the box looked like it was used as a wheel chock somewhere along the way. No material damage to anything in side but it seems like they might have a part-timer-evening-warehousing-guy doing a shite job at packing. Thats shipping to Canada btw.

mtbr member
    I have purchased from CRC several times. Zero issues with packaging. My only issue was with USPS not wanting to leave my parts at my door and me being too busy to get to the Post Office to pick them up. USPS was about to send the parts back to CRC. What hassle, but not CRC's fault.
    I find that their prices fluctuate depending upon the current exchange rate. If you are patient and mindful of the current exchange rates, you can get some killer deals from them.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

I've ordered from CRC several times, and never had delivered by USPS. Always came from DHL, with me having to pay customs charge on one of the three times

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bicyclebillpdx View Post
    I've ordered from CRC several times, and never had delivered by USPS. Always came from DHL, with me having to pay customs charge on one of the three times
    Did you pay for shipping or get their free shipping?
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Always free because they've been $300+ orders.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    The only time I ordered anything from outside North America was a camera lens I bought on eBay. The package and lens showed up and it looked like it was run over by a truck. Lens smashed completely. I got my $ back but I'll never order from outside the N. America again.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2012 Banshee Spitfire 26er
    2005 Trek Bruiser urban single speed

mtbr member
    I just ordered new XT Brakes and Rotors with them.

Order Placed: 5/22
    Order shipped: 5/26

They have yet to arrive but when they do I'll report on the packaging.
    Ride: 2014 Yeti SB66AC

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by HighSpeedChase View Post
    I just ordered new XT Brakes and Rotors with them.

Order Placed: 5/22
    Order shipped: 5/26

They have yet to arrive but when they do I'll report on the packaging.
    Nothing bothers me more when a mail order company charges my card as soon as the order is placed but then doesn't ship it for a week. Poor business practice.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2012 Banshee Spitfire 26er
    2005 Trek Bruiser urban single speed

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession View Post
    Nothing bothers me more when a mail order company charges my card as soon as the order is placed but then doesn't ship it for a week. Poor business practice.
    I agree! This is my first time ordering outside the U.S. Normally I buy local or from US dealers. The price was pretty killer though. I ordered front and rear XTs with a 203F/180R rotor set for $260. Cheapest I could come up with from US online dealers was $315.

The "processing" time did bother me already, We will see what happens when they arrive.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Have you try contacting them? Once I receive my order with a floor pump unwrap, it get damage (scratch) during transport, and they send me a voucher code for about 50% of the price of the pump. In fact they ask me if I would like refund and return the pump, our a deal...

I must order from them 3 times a year for the past 4 year or so. One of the best online store. Also try : bike24.com

B.Ike
    Quote Originally Posted by rjx View Post
    Last night I was thinking of buying a Sun Ringle Charger Expert wheelset from CRC with the current 10% off coupon for $310.49. But after receiving my CRC order today, I donít know if Iíll make another order with them. I have some thinking to do.
    bikewagon has that wheelset for 279 with free shipping. There's been 10% coupons but I don't know if there's a valid one going right now.
    edit: I just looked and see there's only 29er at that price.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    My order of XT brakes, rotors, and kneepads and the parcel arrived yesterday 5/27.
    No complaints about packaging, delivery time, and pricing...
    But guess what? rotors and kneepads were in the box but no XT brakes!!!
    This is so disappointing, I've sent them an email and they asked me to fill up a missing item declaration form which I've filled up and sent back.
    We'll see how fast they send me the missing items.
    I have ordered wheels from them before and was very pleased with product, deal, and excellent customer service so I think it's only fair to give them a chance to see how they respond to this mishap.

mtbr member
    So I received My XT brakes and rotors from them yesterday 6/2. I placed my order on 5/22 and the order was shipped 5/26.

One end of the box was open a tad but everything inside was intact and in working order. Got everything installed last night with no issues.

All in all I'm happy with my purchase. I saved almost $60. My only complaint would be their order processing time. The ship time itself coming all the way from UK was pretty good I think.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by HighSpeedChase View Post
    So I received My XT brakes and rotors from them yesterday 6/2. I placed my order on 5/22 and the order was shipped 5/26.

One end of the box was open a tad but everything inside was intact and in working order. Got everything installed last night with no issues.

All in all I'm happy with my purchase. I saved almost $60. My only complaint would be their order processing time. The ship time itself coming all the way from UK was pretty good I think.

HighSpeedchase,

it was a good deal and good for you to have a pretty good turnaround time with no issues.
    My order was placed last May 17. My original parcel arrived May 27, but was missing the XT brakes!
    I've responded and filed the missing item claim as soon as 5/28, and the re-order only shipped yesterday June 2.
    I guess it's not such a bad experience, I just hope they get it right this time when the re-order arrives!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast