mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Centerlock disc wheel compatibilty

My question for this evening is: will a Shimano XT M-765 disc wheelset with Shimano rotors work with an older Avid Juicy Seven brake system. The Avid system is with 6 bolt rotor wheels that need replacing. The XT set has centerlock hubs. The rotor sizes and QR are the same for both wheelsets so are they interchangeable as is? Thanks.

mtbr member
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

+1 on reading the above thread. I use a Shimano centerlock rotor with a set of BB7's on my commuter bike. The different braking track widths creates some funny wear patterns and I have to replace pads more often.

Avid sells centerlock rotors but they're a LOT more expensive than Shimano's, which you probably are aware of already, I'd bet.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael L View Post
    My question for this evening is: will a Shimano XT M-765 disc wheelset with Shimano rotors work with an older Avid Juicy Seven brake system. The Avid system is with 6 bolt rotor wheels that need replacing. The XT set has centerlock hubs. The rotor sizes and QR are the same for both wheelsets so are they interchangeable as is? Thanks.
    Basically center lock and 6 bolt hubs hold the rotor in the same place.....wrt to the dropouts.