Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    CAMBr Trail Crew
    Reputation: DDDonny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    425

    CDI Preset Torque Limiting Handle

    Since Brian Mullin posted a review of these (thanks, Brian!), I figured I'd share a secret:

    Amazon.com: J.H. Williams CDI Pro Torq Bicycle Tool: Sports & Outdoors

    I found these on amazon.com for $18 each (which is a hell of a lot better than the $30 most other places have these listed for!). A bit of advice though: the 4mm hex bit each handle come with is crap (I rounded one on its first use!), so I went to Harbor Freight and bought the bit set in my picture for $8.

    Anyway, maybe someone will find this post useful.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CDI Preset Torque Limiting Handle-cdi.jpg  


  2. #2
    Plays with tools
    Reputation: customfab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,207
    So since the stock bit was crap you went and got replacements from Harbor Freight? That's some funny ****.

  3. #3
    CAMBr Trail Crew
    Reputation: DDDonny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    425
    Didn't feel like spending $20 at sears for a comparable bit set...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Dark Horse Racing
    Reputation: Scrub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    579
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    So since the stock bit was crap you went and got replacements from Harbor Freight? That's some funny ****.
    It is funny ****, but unless you use them daily and don't over torque the bolts the 1st time they should last.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Brewtality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,341
    I would be nervous about these torque wrenches.
    If they can't even make a decent allen bit, then how good can the torque wrench really be? I would have serious doubts about the accuracy
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

  6. #6
    Plays with tools
    Reputation: customfab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,207
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    I would be nervous about these torque wrenches.
    If they can't even make a decent allen bit, then how good can the torque wrench really be? I would have serious doubts about the accuracy
    The 'pro' tool trucks sell them so they can't be that bad. It's not hard to imagine an amazon seller might through in some cheap bits to sweeten the deal a little bit. I know a couple of mechanics I trust (there aren't a lot of these people btw) that have been using them for some time with good luck.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Brewtality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,341
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    The 'pro' tool trucks sell them so they can't be that bad. It's not hard to imagine an amazon seller might through in some cheap bits to sweeten the deal a little bit. I know a couple of mechanics I trust (there aren't a lot of these people btw) that have been using them for some time with good luck.
    A couple thoughts.....

    I am a professional diesel technician. I am on 'pro' tool trucks every week. Not everything they sell is the greatest. The tool trucks do sell some low end tools for techs that don't want top end tools. A lot of tools they sell are gimmiky junk generated to make sales. Stuff designed to do jobs that existing tools can already accomplish. Thats what these T-handle wrenches strike me as.

    As for your friends that have had good luck with them, that might be all it is, luck
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    3,983
    tagged for later.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

  9. #9
    Plays with tools
    Reputation: customfab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,207
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    A couple thoughts.....

    I am a professional diesel technician. I am on 'pro' tool trucks every week. Not everything they sell is the greatest. The tool trucks do sell some low end tools for techs that don't want top end tools. A lot of tools they sell are gimmiky junk generated to make sales. Stuff designed to do jobs that existing tools can already accomplish. Thats what these T-handle wrenches strike me as.

    As for your friends that have had good luck with them, that might be all it is, luck
    I understand you point. CDI is a Snap-On brand by the way. I've used these things and feel they are of pretty high quality and I'm a bit of a tool snob. Sure a normal torque wrench can accomplish the tasks these can and many more. What these tool bring to the table is efficiency, grab the right color, correct bit and your off. They are kind of like the color coated lug nut sockets that are torque sensitive. Sure there are other ways to do that but both of these tools speed up the process.

    If anybody would have one calibrated we could see how accurate they are. My guess is that they are right in there with other high quality torque wrenches.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    231
    Yes, these are made by CDI and they should be quality tools. I bought CDI's Computorq3 digital torque wrench 24-240 in-lbs and it has worked great for bike related tasks (calibration sheet in the box said it had sub 1% accuracy). These T-Handles would be a great tool to have if you are swapping stems all the time. Most stem manufacturers spec 5-7Nm for their bolts. However, you will need something bigger for disc brake caliper mounting bolts and the like. Get a torque wrench from CDI, Precision Instruments, or Snap-on and you should be safe. Stanley's high end Proto torque wrenches have had some issues from what I have heard. Stay away from Park Tools, Craftsman, Harbor Freight, etc unless you are just getting a beam type torque wrench because the accuracy and reliability will be horrible.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •