mtbr member

CB Candy 3 pedals with Sidis?

I need a set of pedals for my new bike and I'm going to stick with Crank Bros. I have regular Egg Beaters on everything else but this bike I think I might find a little platform beneficial so I wonder how folks are liking the Candy's? Specifically, does anyone use Candy's with Sidi Dominators and find that the platform does not interfere with float or clipping in or out. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Running eggs and candy's and dominators with no problems.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rangeriderdave View Post
    Running eggs and candy's and dominators with no problems.
    Thanks for the good word! Do you ever find the platform useful? This is going to be a bike for more challenging terrain and my thought is it might be good to have a little pedal underfoot if I unclip on a section or a stunt but need to keep pedalin'...

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
    Thanks for the good word! Do you ever find the platform useful? This is going to be a bike for more challenging terrain and my thought is it might be good to have a little pedal underfoot if I unclip on a section or a stunt but need to keep pedalin'...
    Candys do not have any more support than Eggbeaters. The contact points are still just on each side of the wings.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I use the candy's on my road bike ,no real need for the platform.I do use the dominators on both bikes.

mtbr member
    Thanks, so it really doesn't sound like there's much point in choosing the Candy's over the Egg beaters? The little platform is mainly cosmetic?

I Ride Bikes
    I like the platform. It must add some sort of support when you're riding. I can imagine the shoe flexing and making contact with the platform every now and then.
    I like to hug trees at FULL SPEED!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazukea View Post
    I like the platform. It must add some sort of support when you're riding. I can imagine the shoe flexing and making contact with the platform every now and then.
    Thanks, does it feel as though there's enough platform there to unclip and pedal through a sketchy section or over a stunt where you're more comfortable without being clipped in? Not enough to pedal for an extended time-just a few revolutions through/over something challenging. That's mainly what I hope to accomplish. Otherwise I'll stick with the eggbeaters. (I thought about Mallets but they're a bit more pedal than I want for this application-a cross country-oriented 140mm trail bike.)

I Ride Bikes
    Sorry for the super late reply. I have ridden sections unclipped on my Candy 3's. I can feel my shoes resting on the platforms and not just on the spring metal. Plus I figure that 35 grams more on a bike ain't going to slow you down. lol.....well it shouldn't.
    I like to hug trees at FULL SPEED!

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    FWIW, I just installed some Candy 3s on my full suspension and I use them without any problems with my Sidis. The tread on the shoes is also fairly worn down from a few years of use, though.

I used to use Eggbeaters, but they were just getting the crap bashed out of them by all the rocks we have around here. So I'm hoping that the cage on the Candys will provide a bit more protection so that my pedals will actually hold my cleats. That was happening with the Eggbeaters -- rocks were destroying the spring and the wings so that they wouldn't hold onto my cleats. I also upgraded from 1-level pedals to 3-level pedals so that the bearings hopefully last a bit longer and are easier to service when that time comes.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I just put a set of Candy 2s on my bike and being new to clipless they still unnerve me. That said they work great and I do clip out and use them as flats when riding skinnies.