mtbr member
    Mar 2013

cassette problem

hey guys i have a question about my bike ive been building a downhill bike and had some wheel rims i was going to use and got myself a 8 speed shimano cassette only to realise after it came that the rear wheel rim isnt a normal cassette with a hub looking into this its a free wheel i belive? is there a way to get the hub on this rim or not only been looking on ebay for a free wheel 11 tooth and up and they seem to start at 12/13 tooth. any help pls stew

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Freewheel hubs have been obsolete for a long time because their design leads to bent and broken axles. They're not strong enough to stand up to regular cross country mountain biking or road touring, let alone downhill. Rebuilding the wheel around a cassette hub is possible, but not a good idea. Odds are the other wheel parts aren't up to DH standards either. You should get a new wheel, and you should get one that's intended for downhill use.

Is there a local shop that could help you pick out parts that would be safe & sane for the kind of riding you'll be doing?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    cheers for the input will take it on board. yeah there is a shop will get round there. just a question about the downhill wheels how are they made different from a normal mountain bike wheel?