Giddy Up!

Carbon wrapped with alloy core handlebar

Can anyone confirm what handlebars are available that are carbon wrapped with an alloy core?

Would like 31.8 and 660mm low rise.

Some feedback on the use of would be great as well.

CAAK
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^\

bi-winning
    I wonder,... is it actually advantageous to wrap the aluminum in carbon when compared to a well made aluminum only bar...
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Giddy Up!
    I know they exist, but bugger if I can find them..

I guess you get the look of carbon with the additional strength of alloy.. But that is just stating the friggin obvious, right...

CAAK
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^\

Birdman aka JMJ

They used to be popular

They were apopular a few years ago. I think that a well made carbon bar would be strong enough, and a lot lighter. Actually, most aluminum bars would be strong enough at the same weight. Pazzaz made some ...check this recall notice, though - http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml01/01200.html.

JMJ
    Last edited by Birdman; 11-21-2008 at 11:44 AM.

ups and downs
    Ritchey still does a 31.8mm flat bar in that style but all their low rise and riser bars are all carbon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Carbon wrapped alloy didn't work in sailboats, it failed under load catastrophically. Either they sorted out the inherent engineering problems or they're marketing this for suckers who want carbon bling.

AUGER-N
    Dec 2005
    I had a Nuke Proof carbon wrapped alum. bar. It was around 1993-4. It was heavy and stiff. I broke (cracked) 4 of them before they said they would not replace it again. I think i paid like $130 for that stupid thing. It sure was trick back in the day! If they are available now days, lets hope they are better.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have an Easton carbon bar, going strong for 3 years now. I am a big guy, 220# and it has not been a problem for me, i forget that its carbon. Just get a full carbon and I think you will be happy.
    1994 GT Palomar 1997 Schwinn Frontier GS 2001 Kona Cinder Cone 2003 Kona Cinder Cone SS 2004 Cake 1 DLX 2005 Scott Speedster

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I had the old nukeproof bar and beat the hell out of it for a number of years with no issues other than galvanization between the carbon and alum.
    I think you would be better just going for a really sturdy carbon bar such as lp composites (but alas the don't make 31mm yet.) go with a short rise downhill bar and it still won't be that heavy and with meet your needs and obsorb shock like crazy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    ABR makes them: http://www.abrbikes.com/
    May be not a very good brand, it is about half the price of Bontrager components.
    If you check their website, the carbon + aluminum model is heavier than the aluminum only model.

I've seen them fail. I took these pictures a few months ago, from a friend's bike. Luckily he wasn't hurt, since this was going downhill the Cerro of Montevideo (Uruguay).

I am not sure if it failed because excesive torque, or bad quality. Probably the latter.
    Attached Images Attached Images

More carbon fiber please!
    May 2008
    Profile had one in a 25.4 some years ago as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I maintain, it's not bad quality of the implementation, it's due to incompatible material properties. Ie Aluminium + carbon wrap = fail

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ernestrome
    I maintain, it's not bad quality of the implementation, it's due to incompatible material properties. Ie Aluminium + carbon wrap = fail
    Why are they incompatible?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Probably the same reason why the Crank Brothers Cobalt cranks delaminate. Expansion/contraction from temperature variations?
    My friend had a Zoom carbon wrepped allow bar beck in the day and it snapped in half just from the bike falling over. I don't like the idea of the carbon hiding any cracks in the aluminum.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by caak
    Can anyone confirm what handlebars are available that are carbon wrapped with an alloy core?

Would like 31.8 and 660mm low rise.

Some feedback on the use of would be great as well.
    Isn't that old school, circa late 90's? I'm still using a titec seatpost with an alloy core. Almost all the old CF bikes, bars, as well as F1 car parts, were CF wrapped around alloy. I believe we've evolved past that for most apps.

Can Tree Member
    Quote Originally Posted by autoduel
    Probably the same reason why the Crank Brothers Cobalt cranks delaminate. Expansion/contraction from temperature variations?
    My friend had a Zoom carbon wrepped allow bar beck in the day and it snapped in half just from the bike falling over. I don't like the idea of the carbon hiding any cracks in the aluminum.
    Another known problem is that al. in contact with the carbon will set up a galvanic reaction, and the joint will basically corrode. The early carbon road bikes (Graftek, others like it) were made with carbon tubes glued into aluminum lugs, and were prone to failure at those joints. Since then the builders have figured out how to separate the materials better or use ti instead where they need metal on the frame.
    Dad is sad.
    Very, very sad.
    He had a bad day.
    What a day Dad had!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by leoh
    Why are they incompatible?

They flex at different rates, aluminium will flex a little but carbon flexes much less. Basically the carbon is taking all the load, if it is overloaded it fails and all the force is transferred to the aluminium which then fails. They're never really sharing the load. You might as well not have the aluminium there and the carbon must be able to take all of the load.

More Torque
    I ran a couple of the Scott Black Magic (claimed 145g) flat XC bars for years with no problems. Still have one on my hardtail.

Threw one in the trash when I pulled off of an LTS that I was stripping, and it did not look quite symmetrical.

Apparently, one side got a few more degress of rearward bend after a crash a few years back. Never gave me any problems though.

mtbr member
    I'm pretty sure FSA still makes carbon wrapped aluminum bars. I've also seen the seat posts in that style recently. Dosen't make sense to me, but what do I know. My Race face evolve xc post and titec hell bent bars work perfect for me and they were cheap.