Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    No Stranger to danger....

Carbon Fibre Down Tube Rock Protectors from 'Rock guardz', anybody use one?

Im about to pull the trigger on a custom down tube protector for my Giant Reign..

Its a custom carbon fibre protector from Rock guardz.

Rockguardz - Real Carbon Fibre MTB Rock Protectors

The reign has a very flat bottom of the down tube and can cop a serious dint from a rock as ive seen in a few pictures, i thought preventions better than cure, and im just wondering if anybody has any feed back from this company, and what are your thoughts on these guards,

This company seems to make a lot of rock guards for many of the top brands of mountain bikes, even if you dont own one you might want to check the site out and tell me what you think
    P.S i have no affiliation with this shop at all.

Cheers and happy christmas guys
    Last edited by Tone's; 12-20-2012 at 07:15 AM.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I dont have a carbon fiber one on my tallboy ltc, mine is just plastic but it definitely spreads out impacts. I had a pretty big chip on my bottom bracket so I decided to get one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    They definitely look high quality from what I can see (not having used one) however...it's nothing that an old worn out knobby, a pair of shears, and a few zip ties can't do.

That said, the one for the Reign looks nice and clean, and has good coverage, something I noticed that not all of them have for a 'custom made' product.

Happy christmas back at ya

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Here's a thread where somebody built a similar guard for the boom tube on their tandem

If a picture is worth 1000 words, only a few words needed

the boom tube only curves in one direction, so their application may be quite a bit more simple than what you have to do with curves in 2 directions

I see folks on reigns running the old tire like wschruba describes. A piece of high density foam under the tire might add a lot of dent protection.

Quote Originally Posted by PretendGentleman View Post
    Here's a thread where somebody built a similar guard for the boom tube on their tandem

If a picture is worth 1000 words, only a few words needed

the boom tube only curves in one direction, so their application may be quite a bit more simple than what you have to do with curves in 2 directions

I see folks on reigns running the old tire like wschruba describes. A piece of high density foam under the tire might add a lot of dent protection.
    Cheers mate, interesting thread, nice home made carbon job.

I put the same post in the Giant forum and ive had a few people say carbon is a bad choice for a down tube rock protector, one even saying it will shatter.
    I find it hard to believe that this company Rock guardz are making a product that will shatter, theyve been in business for a while, they make these for many bike brands even for DH bikes, im sure they are making a decent product.

Yes im sure there are a few other materials that will absorb stone hits better, but i like that these look light and clean, actually, they look pretty slick.

Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    They definitely look high quality from what I can see (not having used one) however...it's nothing that an old worn out knobby, a pair of shears, and a few zip ties can't do.

That said, the one for the Reign looks nice and clean, and has good coverage, something I noticed that not all of them have for a 'custom made' product.

Happy christmas back at ya
    Cheers brother, yes they look clean and light, seem to have very good coverage and thats the reason im looking at them, i think i might pull the trigger on one and give it a run

AZ
    banned
    I do not understand how it does not just transfer the energy to the frame. There is no air space, no gap, no energy absorption properties that I can see. It may dissipate smaller impacts but larger ones I see a potential problem.

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    I do not understand how it does not just transfer the energy to the frame.
    That's because you do understand

Impact load spreading is also required to really do the job.

Magura

It's about showing up.
    a couple of thoughts:

The difference between cosmetic and structural damage is a matter of a threshold.

The energy from an impact has to go somewhere.

Why is a bike frame not prepared for a certain amount of impact?
    I don't rattle.

Is not amused
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Im about to pull the trigger on a custom down tube protector for my Giant Reign..

Cheers and happy christmas guys
    O'really... Pull the....

Anyways, Tone's why don't you just run down to your local store pick up one of these http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/so...rt-828549.html cut it up and zip tie it to the frame. Seen in done a lot on here. G'day Mate.

Wait, edit:

Tone's your still alive right? It is 2012/12/21 there.

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike View Post
    a couple of thoughts:

The difference between cosmetic and structural damage is a matter of a threshold.

The energy from an impact has to go somewhere.

Why is a bike frame not prepared for a certain amount of impact?
    I don't think you'll find many frames, that will get no structural damage, from a square edge hit to the downtube, without some sort of load spreader.

Magura

Is not amused
    Tone, you might have seen these post but I'll leave them here in case you haven't.

Carbon protector:
    Reign photos (merged thread)

Tire cut for protector:

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    Tone, you might have seen these post but I'll leave them here in case you haven't.

Carbon protector:

Tire cut for protector:
    The Wallmart protector is sure offering more protection than the carbon one.

Both are aiming at spreading the load of the impact, but the carbon version is doing a poor job at that, as it would require a pretty sturdy piece to work.

A shell of Kevlar, backed with an elastomer liner, is the way to go.
    If it has to be real hefty, a thin titanium plate on the outside seems to be working well.

Having the choice, I'd pick a tire over a simple carbon shell any day.

Magura

Is not amused
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magura View Post
    If it has to be real hefty, a thin titanium plate on the outside seems to be working well.
    Magura
    There is this as well. Lower in the thread there is another way to add protection.
    Down tube protection????

The Trek Scatch had a nice sleak downtube protector....
    http://spokemagazine.com/files/2010/07/down-tube.jpg

I don't understand why most MTB bikes at least, come with something like the pic above. Especially carbon. Pivot does something similar, Trek still does on some carbon models....

Why not more brands? I'd be pissed if said 3000$ carbon frame was done after a impact that a protector would have helped prevent if not would have stopped any damage at all.

DIY all the way

I don't understand why most MTB bikes at least, come with something like the pic above. Especially carbon. Pivot does something similar, Trek still does on some carbon models....

Why not more brands? I'd be pissed if said 3000$ carbon frame was done after a impact that a protector would have helped prevent if not would have stopped any damage at all.
    In the parallel thread to this one, it was explained by Shibivan (ok, that's not how it's spelled). You need returning customers, and as long as the customers will accept it, they keep avoiding the protection, so they sell more bikes.
    Well, he called me a bad businessman for suggestion the use of Kevlar

Magura

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    If you don't crash your bike , there is no need
    to worry. Learn to ride and quit crashing.

Is not amused
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magura View Post
    In the parallel thread to this one, it was explained by Shibivan (ok, that's not how it's spelled). You need returning customers, and as long as the customers will accept it, they keep avoiding the protection, so they sell more bikes.
    Well, he called me a bad businessman for suggestion the use of Kevlar

Magura

You're MR. DIY Magura Just create something like the scratch protector except make the area where most impacts would occur have more protection=thickness of rubber there. Shouldn't be to hard to do. You make the mold, the zip-tie part is great to so you can take it off if need be as well. Then sell them on here. Maybe add a "M" with a wink into the mold.

DIY all the way

You're MR. DIY Magura Just create something like the scratch protector except make the area where most impacts would occur have more protection=thickness of rubber there. Shouldn't be to hard to do. You make the mold, the zip-tie part is great to so you can take it off if need be as well. Then sell them on here. Maybe add a "M" with a wink into the mold.
    I've got an even better solution: I'll tell you how to make them, and then you sell them on here.
    I'll even throw in the "M " as a gesture of good will

Magura

Magura and Hutch, thanks guys for all of your great input, i appreciate it, some good ideas in the links you put up, just having a look through them now guys, BTW im still alive lol, the worlds still happening down here, bloody Mayans lol, what would they know?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Anybody know how thick the rockguardz is?
    3mm, 2mm, 1/8 or what?

I hv been using 3M scotch 2228 electrical rubber tape, 1.6mm thick, i just double it, got the info from MB Action magazine.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Those carbon down tube protectors look great. I'd hate to put one on my bike and have it get all scratched up. Anybody have any luck making a simple shield for one of those protectors?
    Consciousness, that annoying time between bike rides.

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopaka View Post
    Those carbon down tube protectors look great. I'd hate to put one on my bike and have it get all scratched up. Anybody have any luck making a simple shield for one of those protectors?

Magura

Id just like to give Magura a public wrap here.

He has just sent me a very kind offer in PM, THE MAN IS ALL CLASS and emphasises everything thats great about this site, he has offered to send me some Kevlar and a few other things all the way from Denmark.

last night i pulled the trigger on one of these guards, so i wont be taking him up on his offer just yet but when this thing i bought breaks and i have egg in my face lol, i will be taking him up on his very generous offer.

To get a PM offering to send me some gear was so kind Magura, your all class mate..

cheers brother.

Is not amused
    ^

M you probably did make some last night. Make a sweet 3-d mold. Dropped in some hot melted rubber and boom M in stock.

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    last night i pulled the trigger on one of these guards, so i wont be taking him up on his offer just yet but when my frame gets damaged, due to the lack of protection, and i have egg in my face lol, i will be taking him up on his very generous offer.
    Fixed it for you

Magura

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast