Ride Instigator

Carbon Bars with Lock-On Grips?

I'm switching to carbon bars (Cane Creek Iodine) and I've been using the same ODI Rogue grips for years and I'd like to stick with same. I'm sure the inner clamp of the grips wouldn't be an issue but I'm concerned clamping right at the end of the carbon bar with the outer clamp might not be a good idea. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Is there a reinforcement plug available that goes in the end of the carbon bar to provide support for the outer clamp perhaps?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I've been using those grips on carbon bars for years without a
    problem. Just don't clamp them real tight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    I've been using those grips on carbon bars for years without a
    problem. Just don't clamp them real tight.
    Ditto.

Big Mac

Ditto ditto

Big Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Ricko View Post
    I'm switching to carbon bars (Cane Creek Iodine) and I've been using the same ODI Rogue grips for years and I'd like to stick with same. I'm sure the inner clamp of the grips wouldn't be an issue but I'm concerned clamping right at the end of the carbon bar with the outer clamp might not be a good idea. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Is there a reinforcement plug available that goes in the end of the carbon bar to provide support for the outer clamp perhaps?
    I'm assuming you mean crank brothers and not cane creek. If so, they'll probably break anyway.

Ride Instigator
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    I'm assuming you mean crank brothers and not cane creek. If so, they'll probably break anyway.
    Oops, yes I did mean Crank Brothers. You're saying they will probably break, do you have experience with this?

Big Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Ricko View Post
    Oops, yes I did mean Crank Brothers. You're saying they will probably break, do you have experience with this?
    My smiley didn't show up for some reason. My comment was tongue and cheek. I have lots of experience with broken crank brothers stuff, but I have zero experience with those bars. Sorry.

Ride Instigator
    My smiley didn't show up for some reason. My comment was tongue and cheek. I have lots of experience with broken crank brothers stuff, but I have zero experience with those bars. Sorry.
    LOL, The only Crank Bros product I've owned was a mini pump some years back and it was pretty useless.

I'm going to have to get myself a torque wrench and torque specs for this new carbon venture. The bars are the first thing I decided to grab as they were on sale. Later this year will be a carbon Blur frame when they go on year-end clearance and I might go with a carbon post as well. I'm hearing talk about using carbon paste on carbon component interfaces so I'll have to get a tube of that as well. Seems the alloy parts I'm used to working with are much more forgiving of torque variances then carbon.

mtbr member
    Nothing wrong w a torque wrench, but on items like grips and brake levers I prefe to have the torque wrench set, but only apply just enough torque to prevent the grips from rotating (typically less torque then the recommended amount. The brake levers I want to rotate slightly in the event of a crash.

just my $0.02

mtbr member
    You wont find a torque spec for the ends of the bars and the spec for the brake and shifter mounts will be too high for the end. Do it by feel and as stated above, just enough to keep them from moving. Also use some friction paste.

mtbr member

Re: Carbon Bars with Lock-On Grips?

I would surprised if you could damage a carbon bar (even if it is CB ^_^) with a 2.5mm Allen as long as you don't put a 2 foot breaker bar on it when tightening.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    The wheelsize argument is not a "hydraulic vs cable brake" argument, its a "formula vs shimano brake" argument.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigkat273 View Post
    I would surprised if you could damage a carbon bar (even if it is CB ^_^) with a 2.5mm Allen as long as you don't put a 2 foot breaker bar on it when tightening.
    Good point but I believe a torque wrench with a 2.5mm allen could.

mtbr member

Re: Carbon Bars with Lock-On Grips?

Quote Originally Posted by likeaboss View Post
    Good point but I believe a torque wrench with a 2.5mm allen could.
    Oh no doubt... Just do it by hand with a regular L shaped Allen key and all will be good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    The wheelsize argument is not a "hydraulic vs cable brake" argument, its a "formula vs shimano brake" argument.

T.W.O.
    No worries, you'd stripped the bolts over torquing, before any possible damage on the bar.

Big Mac

Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    No worries, you'd stripped the bolts over torquing, before any possible damage on the bar.
    I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say that.

T.W.O.
    I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say that.
    I stripped a few myself, plus from experience, I sold about 150-200 pairs of ODI here a few years ago. Many of you bought it. I've got a few emails back asking if I have spare bolts, so happened I did. When I asked almost all of them said it they tighten it as tight as they can and it just stripped. the carbon bar would give so much more before it crack and the ring would not allow that. Is it possible, may be. I don't know about the bars but I know how fragile those bolts are. I guess there's the first for everything