Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    anyone ever use moly paste? friction paste is a PITA to find. seems like moly paste is designed to do the same thing - "Allows maximum clamping from available torque." - per Loctites website. Not sure if anything in there would react negatively with carbon, or if that paste is too rough...

transmitter~receiver

Carbon Bar friction paste

Quote Originally Posted by powderturns View Post
    friction paste is a PITA to find.
    Really? It took me 5 scones to find a few different brands and tube sizes. Try "carbon assembly paste," Finish Line is the most common.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    Really? It took me 5 scones to find a few different brands and tube sizes. Try "carbon assembly paste," Finish Line is the most common.
    i get what you're saying, and I know how to use google/amazon/ebay. try not living in america and having limited mail order options. pretend you live in a small town and actually have to go to the hardware store.

transmitter~receiver

Carbon Bar friction paste

Quote Originally Posted by powderturns View Post
    i get what you're saying, and I know how to use google/amazon/ebay. try not living in america and having limited mail order options. pretend you live in a small town and actually have to go to the hardware store.
    I have lived outside the US (and America too), but we had mail. If the Locktite product available at your small town hardware store is your only option, just try it.
    If you are able to get mail but for some reason can't convince a mail order company to ship you some Finish Line I'll be happy to help if I can. PM me
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    I had a slipping FSA carbon post. So I cranked my quick release tighter. Which was not a problem until the post got some mud splashed on it, and then when I lowered the seat and tightened the quick release, the post cracked.

That's my story.

Moral: Clean the crud off your seat post before you clamp.
    Moral 2: If I used some friction paste, the clamp probably wouldn't have been tight enough to crack the post.

mtbr member
    I have never used it and have had no issues.
    - The only thing that keeps me on a bike is happiness.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OmaHaq View Post
    I have never used it and have had no issues.
    I've been riding carbon handlebars for years with no issues, except: I had a LP composites bar that was supposed to be compatible with bar ends, but eventually the ends of the handlebar started compressing and the diameter decreased to the point that I had to start using shims under the barend clamp. I don't know if friction paste would have helped in this case.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    So... why not use silicone grease with some fine sand mixed in? Would the sand be too sharp or uneven? What about an earlier poster's toothpaste suggestion?

mtbr member
    Toothpaste might actually be a good idea.

Edit: But maybe not because it is not hydrophobic.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2