mtbr member
    May 2008

Carbon for AM and DH

Composites for AM through DH are pretty new and would like to hear owner's experiences with carbon parts used for these abusive riding styles. I understand the strength to weight ratio that makes carbon look like the strongest material on earth, but the facts are composites do fail, often catastrophically. Opinions? Experiences?

mtbr member
    thats like opening a can of worms

mtbr member
    May 2008
    that's the point I guess? With santa cruz's Carbon v10, and Nomad as well as raceface's sixc line there's no questioning the fact that carbon is no longer an xc thing. I want to try composites but haven't heard much feedback from owners of these new AM through DH carbon products.

Waiting for peace
    Quote Originally Posted by slimat99
    Composites for AM through DH are pretty new and would like to hear owner's experiences with carbon parts used for these abusive riding styles. I understand the strength to weight ratio that makes carbon look like the strongest material on earth, but the facts are composites do fail, often catastrophically. Opinions? Experiences?

Most current new-fangled fibre bits are tougher than their metal counterparts provided that the correct procedures are followed during the build process. These are in the package with the components/ frames all of the time.

I've been freeriding in BC with some locals while living there and no one broke anything other than derailer hangers and brake levers (except 1 collar bone, three fingers and a wrist).... CF 31.8mm handlebar to hucked 17ft to flat.... still riding the bar, bar has been inspected and returned with OK from mfg.....

Never broken a frame, rear derailer w/ CF, or CF water bottle cage..... I guess I just don't huck big enough!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    well then, that says a lot about composites! 17' to flat is something no parts are built to handle. I thought BC had nice buff landers?

Waiting for peace
    Oh the landers are indeed buff... I was just on a bridge and caught my glove on a tree branch stub. That pulled me off my line and I was hucking whether I wanted to or not..... I landed rear wheel first ( thanks goes out to Marin bikes for the adjustable travel on the back of the bike, I needed all 11") and the White Bros S7 took most of the sting out of the front end as I landed on the next trail down the hill.... good luck asking me to do that again 'cause ya didn't get it on tape....

That's how I know quality composites are worth the money....

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Who cares about the carbon bits, good thing your body held up! What carbon parts are you running?

Waiting for peace
    Last year: CF Stumpjumper , CF H.Bar and R. Derailleur (outer plate and cage are CF)

This year: Alu. Stumpy hardtail, S-Works CF bar and SRAM X0 R. Derailleur

Next year: CF Roval wheels on Enduro S-Works w/ S-works bar and X0 (if it's still living)!!

mtbr member
    "CF H.Bar"

A carbon h-bar? like the Titec? Man, you have got to elaborate...
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

Waiting for peace
    Quote Originally Posted by damnitman
    "CF H.Bar"

A carbon h-bar? like the Titec? Man, you have got to elaborate...

S-Works Carbon Fibre "XC" Riser. Functionally Advanced Carbon Technology 3K, 31.8mm stem interface, 640mm width, 6 deg upsweep, 8 deg backsweep, 175g.

nocturnal oblivion
    Carbon is plenty strong, what it does not provide however is peace of mind.
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

bike rider
    If you crash a lot and your parts all have scratches on them maybe carbon isn't for you. If you ride hard and take hard impacts, but in the way the part was designed for, no problem. I've been running Gravity Light Carbon DH bars for 5 years, no problem. I replaced them after 4 years with another pair for safety's sake and I'm gonna send the original to FSA for inspection. There's also a carbon link on my V10 frame and many carbon parts, including frame, on my AM bike (Ibis Mojo SL).
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialWarr
    I've been freeriding in BC with some locals ... hucked 17ft to flat....

..... I guess I just don't huck big enough!

obviously not!
    GET IT DIRTY

mtbr member
    May 2008
    The way I see it, if companies are going to market carbon parts to AM through DH riders they have to be able to deal with crashes. Who has an 6" or bigger bike that doesn't have scratches on every part? The common belief is carbon is super strong as long as you don't crash; well what good is a carbon part for 6" and bigger bikes if it's compromised after a crash? I too have a carbon link on my nomad like your v10 and it's stiff as hell; now SC is claiming their Carbon Nomad is stronger than the AL v10! Strongest frame they've ever built they say. I want to try carbon, who wouldn't? Stronger, stiffer, lighter. No brainer right? Well I have a buddy that cracked gravity carbon bars but still runs them and has confidence in composites? Not much peace of mind for me knowing his bars cracked in a crash.

Plays with tools
    I hear the Enve rims are the first rim that that S-cruz team has gotten more than one race weekend out of. they dropped ~150 grams of rim weight and they are more durable under riders that could care less what they hit on the way down with there wheels.

You can engineer composite structures to be light or strong or a little bit of both. It seems like a few companies have figured out how to balance that better than those have in the past. I'd put the Furry, and all of the bikes from Ibis, S-cruz and a lot of the Enve stuff on the list of super durable composite parts.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    That says a lot about durability. I hear you on the light vs strength build design. Carbon has been thought of as a rd bike thing and most rd carbon parts are built for low weight not durability. I have heard those carbon rims are crazy strong. Easton Havon carbon wheels come with a 2yr no questions asked warranty, that tells you Easton is pretty confident in their durability. Only think keeping me from tying them or the Enve is the price tag which is just silly. Hopefully prices will come down when there are more carbon wheels on the market.

The perfessor
    Quote Originally Posted by slimat99 View Post
    The way I see it, if companies are going to market carbon parts to AM through DH riders they have to be able to deal with crashes. Who has an 6" or bigger bike that doesn't have scratches on every part? The common belief is carbon is super strong as long as you don't crash; well what good is a carbon part for 6" and bigger bikes if it's compromised after a crash? I too have a carbon link on my nomad like your v10 and it's stiff as hell; now SC is claiming their Carbon Nomad is stronger than the AL v10! Strongest frame they've ever built they say. I want to try carbon, who wouldn't? Stronger, stiffer, lighter. No brainer right? Well I have a buddy that cracked gravity carbon bars but still runs them and has confidence in composites? Not much peace of mind for me knowing his bars cracked in a crash.
    - ditto on carbon being strong IF you don't crash it!!.............ten years ago, I would've been a bit more skeptical, but we've had a good decade of design and usage so I took the plunge - CF riser bar and CF mountain fork (all carbon steerer and blades).......but I don't know that I would run cracked bars
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carbon for AM and DH-dsc03698.jpg  

Carbon for AM and DH-handlebars-brake-levers-large.jpg  

Trifecta is Perfecta: 26" FSR Geared / 29er SS Rigid / 29er Ti Hardtail Geared

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I'm trying carbon this time around. Just ordered a Mojo HD frame. I initially had some concerns in the back of my head but I read and hear about just as many aluminum frames having catastrophic failures as I do carbon. No matter what it's made of, if you ride your bike hard you need to spend some extra time checking your rig before/after a big day of riding.

mtbr member
    Hasn't this already been beat to a bloody pulp?
    Rigs:
    Specialized Rockhopper HT
    Trek 6500 HT
    Trek 3700 Disc HT (The son's)