mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Cant move seat back far enough.

Im 5'8-1/2" and have a 19.5 inch Trek 4300. I like the bike and just cant seem to be able to position the seat far enough back. There is a sensation of me falling off the back end of the seat.

Is there anything I can do to get a seat back 1 to 2 more inches. Ive slid it back as far as it will let me so far.

Is there a new seat tube I can buy or different style of seat that allows further back placement.

Thanks

...idios...
    1 or 2 inches is a long way in relative terms. Without knowing which saddle and seatpin you currently use, it's impossible to say whether another design would allow you to sit further back. Moving your backside too far back in relation to the crank axle can also adversely affect your riding position and therefore your comfort and efficiency. Do you think a different stem would help your positioning? Did your shop 'fit' your bike for you when you bought it?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Yes, basically, you need a seatpost that offers more setback, as opposed to a seatpost that has a clamp straight off the top ("zero offset")

The regular Thomson posts are a classic "zero offset" type. Their bent ones, or ones with offset clamp heads (Easton, Race Face, etc..) will give you an inch or so of additional adjustment.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Thats all I need is an inch or so depending on the type of riding Im doing. Ide like to vary it here and there and also depending if Im using toe clips or not.

Looks as if the B brand post is already setback 1 inch. Do the other brands have a more extreme setback. Ill also call my LBS tomorrow.

Thanks.

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    from a fitting stand point 5'8 and riding a 19 seems like the bike might be a bit big. not sure how you'd need to get farther back. how did the 17.5 or 18 or whatever the medium sized bike feel?
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

im4Gsus
    i too have to position my saddle so it's way back (clamping the rails on the
    front of the saddle). otherwise i get severe knee pain.

some easton seatposts have ~1 inch setback.
    a friend has this one and i've thought of getting it too.

ms kaboose
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Dont ask me Markf. Im surprised myself. I just feel the seat should be back a bit. Maybe an inch is too extreme but Ive raised the seat and still would like it back a bit so my knees are not so bent all the time. I like to stretch the legs. Just my preference.

Thanks Kaboose. Ill look into it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i seem to have the opposite problem, i have to move my seat all the way forward, im 5 foot8 my inseam is under 30 inches and i ride a a medium specialized xc, i had to slide the seat all the way forward to get the feeling that i was on top of the cranks for a good pedaling position

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by darkest_fugue
    i seem to have the opposite problem, i have to move my seat all the way forward, im 5 foot8 my inseam is under 30 inches and i ride a a medium specialized xc, i had to slide the seat all the way forward to get the feeling that i was on top of the cranks for a good pedaling position
    I dont see why I should not give that a try. Maybe it will feel better.