mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Can't find part.....

I own a 2009 Gary Fisher Hifi Super Caliber. A couple days ago I snapped the right side seat stay which is carbon fiber. I contacted Trex and the response I received was that they no longer support the model and that they no longer carry replacement parts. Does anybody have any advise on tracking down a replacement part??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Can't find part.....-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2014

I like pie.
    If what you say is true, such policies do not reflect well on Trek. My guess is that companies like Trek pay attention to what people say on Bike sites such as this. I would suggest that you let Trek know that you have voiced your concerns on MTBR and that you are OK with paying for the replacement stay.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Heard back from Calfee today, they said the part was too damaged and too small to properly fix. The Trex warranty rep said that bikes are like laptops in that after just a couple years they are out of date and even a 2009 bike is old in their book. His computer couldn't even pull up the info to give me a part number so I could search for a replacement myself.

mtbr member
    your local Trek dealer should have a book or access to a website with detailed drawings of suspension frame parts to narrow down the part number. i doubt any company, even Trek, would still make parts for a 5 year-old FS frame. if you're lucky, you can still find parts. or if you're even luckier, you can find someone who has the same broken frame but broken in a different location.

post this in the Trek sub-forum or a wanted ad in the mtbr classifieds.

if you ask nicely, maybe you can get Trek to give you a "customer loyalty" (aka "crash replacement) discount on a similar new frame. the problem is that new frames are often incompatible with the parts on the old frame, so you might need a new bottom bracket, fork, headset, etc. it gets expensive quickly.

you got a carbon FS frame to last five years. time to buy a new one.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Original owner? If you are that may still be warrantied.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
    I would suggest that you let Trek know that you have voiced your concerns on MTBR and that you are OK with paying for the replacement stay.
    where do you expect Trek to get one? do you expect that John Burke can just pull one out of his butt? it's a carbon FS frame part, those things snapped all the time

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Thanks for the advise I'll try in a different forum. Bike is no longer covered under warranty.

mtbr member
    I have known a few Trek reps and some of them are very good at tracking down parts like that. if a bike shop wants your business, they will do all they can to help you replace that frame.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    The bike shop was very helpful trying to find a replacement part, they also gave me the option of buying a new frame. Trex told me they don't have the ability to look for the part anymore in their computer system due to the age of the bike.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Re: Can't find part.....

Quote Originally Posted by Suprtrpr75 View Post
    The bike shop was very helpful trying to find a replacement part, they also gave me the option of buying a new frame. Trex told me they don't have the ability to look for the part anymore in their computer system due to the age of the bike.
    Why would Trex (sic, in every post) have anything to do with a Trek bike? IIRC Trek only had a one year warranty on FS rear ends.
    Your best hope to repair this bike is to find a used frame to steal parts from.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    they would be able to find a part number because they should have a book and website that has all those part numbers and drawings. I know this because, working at Trek shops for several years, I have perused this book and the tech websites many, many times. most of those times, I am looking for pivot bushings but I have found some rear triangle parts like the one the OP described. if they say the can't find the part number at all, they are full of crap or they are just a crappy bike shop for not knowing how to navigate Trek's internal website. if they found it but Trek does not have it any more, that is likely.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Bike shop had the books and we looked through them for over an hour. That part is not listed in the book, only smaller parts ie bushings and bolts. Trek corporate was the one saying they have no access to a part number. I put an ad in the classifieds so hopefully that pans out.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
    . I would suggest that you let Trek know that you have voiced your concerns on MTBR and that you are OK with paying for the replacement stay.
    Because apparently MTBR rules the world.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A