mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Cannot make 29er turn in fast corners

Hey guys,

I have now owned my new Cube AMS 100 Super HPC SL for ~1,5 month, CUBE*AMS 100 Super HPC SL 29
    but during the time I have not managed to manage the bike in fast corners and even in not that fast corners.

The problem for me is that the front tire starts to slip really badly, so now I have instinct to hold back. I have already manage to fell aswell couple of times, but nothing badly.

OEM had Rocket Rons mounted, which had the issue. I changed them for Maxxis Ardent (2,25), but still the same problem. I have played with different tire pressures, but seems not to be working for me. Today I had 2,6 psi in the back and front 2,4 psi.

I try to tilt the bike aswell during the corners, but that doesn't improve the situation.
    In the ground I have mud, gravel, small rocks ... all sorts of stuff, but I have no confidence taking the corners, because I know and feel the tires not working for me and they start to slip very badly. Cornering speeds vary from 25 km/h up to 50 km/h

Any suggestions, ideas? Is it about my technique? I have aswell Nobby Nic tires to try out, but currently it is dry in the forest, so I am planning to put them on. But maybe for comparison would be good.

Thank you in advance,

Siim

mtbr member
    Were you previously riding a different bike that did corner well for you?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I used to have Scott Scale 60 from 2008, 26er ofcourse. But I have not riding properly MTB for years, but I never had this issue. Last time rode my scott was last summer and everything was working well and no issues with cornering. Could fly and take corners like I want and can-

mtbr member
    Sounds like not enough weight on the front tyre...?

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Were you previously riding a different bike that did corner well for you?
    This. Do you have something to compare the handling of the Cube to? Without more info, I'd say it's a combo of your technique and tires/tire pressures for the conditions you are riding in.

The Cube looks like a fairly racy FS design so it doesn't have as much rear weight bias as a longer travel, more slack bike. Which means weight over the front tire for cornering bite shouldn't be a problem. Cornering off road requires leaning the bike while you as the rider stay more vertical, keeping your center of gravity pointing straight at the ground and pushing the outer knobs of the tires into the dirt for best corner grip. If you lean over with the bike like you might on a road bike, you'll get more cornering washouts.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    It's hard to compare, because it has been a huge step from the old hardtail Scott Scale 60 from 2008 to a very good FS. In my opinion I am atm riding the same style like I used , trying to tilt the bike towards corner, raise my self up from the bike in fast corners.
    Leaning the bike did not improve the situation and I still cannot rely myself in corners.

What should the tire pressure be around? I am 159pounds (72kg). The Maxxis Ardent's are foldable 29x2.25.
    Does playing with the front shock pressure help me?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by kahwel View Post
    It's hard to compare, because it has been a huge step from the old hardtail Scott Scale 60 from 2008 to a very good FS. In my opinion I am atm riding the same style like I used , trying to tilt the bike towards corner, raise my self up from the bike in fast corners.
    Leaning the bike did not improve the situation and I still cannot rely myself in corners.

What should the tire pressure be around? I am 159pounds (72kg). The Maxxis Ardent's are foldable 29x2.25.
    Does playing with the front shock pressure help me?
    Get you weight LOW in the turns, not up. Low, forward, and lean.

I am heavier and run those tires ~25psi.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Will try tomorrow

FKA Malibu412
    I have always found Simon Lawton's instruction on this video helpful for me as a rider and as I instruct others. If this link is available where you are, advance to about 18:30 for some cornering specifics. The whole video is great, btw.

Fluidride: Like A Pro (COMPLETO) - YouTube
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by kahwel View Post
    Will try tomorrow
    And keep your outside elbow bent and relaxed.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Aw Shiggy, beat me to it.

Weight the front a bit more.

Yes, OP, pull yourself down towards the bars when cornering. You could also drop some spacers or get a longer stem.

When I put a 100 mm fork on my El Mar which is spec'ed for an 80 I instantly noticed the beast not turning as well as before. I pull the chest down and all is well.

BTW Ardent 2.25s upfront stick just fine.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Ok, guys.. thanks for the input. We'll see tomorrow and I'll give some feedback.

MTB B'dos
    What tyres did you run on your old bike, there's nothing that says that the 29er version wouldn't work for you if they're available, I'd surely give something I'm familiar with a try. A lot of people like the Ardent, I am not one of them, I do not like the lack of transition knobs, especially the 2.25" version. I would suggest looking at some different tyres, maybe the likes of a HR2, DHR2, Rampage, Nobby Nic, Purgatory, Bronson to name a few different treads. Just remember, just because someone likes a tyre, doesn't mena it'll work for you, that being said it sounds like your style should lend itself to the Ardent.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Cornering speeds vary from 25 km/h up to 50 km/h
    15 - 30 MPH, that's MOVING! Were you going that fast on your old bike? I'm pretty sure side force in a turn follows the law of sqares -- doubling your speed quadruples the side force. So even modest speed gains would make a big difference.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Im a new rider but I found the 2.25 ardent up front too sketchy. I switched over to a hans dampf and havent had any problems since.

Competent User
    I've found that it just takes time to get used to the bigger wheels and bike. For the first month I had my Camber 29, I was careening off trails all over the place. It got better. I find that I really need to lean into it and use body language to nail those corners.

I also have an Ardent 2.25 in front, and it's washed out on me a couple times recently, so that might not be the best tire. I tried the Hans Dampf, but it didn't fit, so I put it on the back where it barely fits, and it never ever lets go.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Outside pedal down with pressure on it, anyone mention this yet?
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...