mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Can you relate to this?

In my life I have ridden a multitude of different bikes and owned quite a few as well. And in the past 25 years there have only been 4 bikes that I ever felt 100% comfortable on or "at home" so to speak. On several bikes I've had even with the "correct" frame size I tried different seats, bars, pedals, cranks, stems etc.. and never could make one fit like one that I got that feeling about when I first tried it. My current 1993 trek MT is one, only original part on it is the frame, Over the years it got updated, added susp fork, vbrakes instead of cpull, recently installed a new SRAM crank and shimano triggers. Also my 2011 hi fi has that feel as well. Both of them have a 23" frame which being 6'1 you would think is a little big for me but its a perfect fit. I just recently restored an early 80's Schwinn world sport with a 22" frame and it feels way to big. So do you other riders know or relate to what I mean when I say that at home feel on a bike?
    1993 Trek Multitrack 700
    2011 Trek Hifi Plus
    2013 WalGoose

mtbr member
    Yea - generally when I first build a bike up it takes a few months of parts swapping and playing around to get the bike to feel dialed. Sometimes I can't get it there at all and end up selling it off to find something else.

Warrior's Society
    Not really.....know what I like and what works for me. Have a pretty good idea of how my bike needs to be set up for me.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumpy69 View Post
    In my life I have ridden a multitude of different bikes and owned quite a few as well. And in the past 25 years there have only been 4 bikes that I ever felt 100% comfortable on or "at home" so to speak. On several bikes I've had even with the "correct" frame size I tried different seats, bars, pedals, cranks, stems etc.. and never could make one fit like one that I got that feeling about when I first tried it. My current 1993 trek MT is one, only original part on it is the frame, Over the years it got updated, added susp fork, vbrakes instead of cpull, recently installed a new SRAM crank and shimano triggers. Also my 2011 hi fi has that feel as well. Both of them have a 23" frame which being 6'1 you would think is a little big for me but its a perfect fit. I just recently restored an early 80's Schwinn world sport with a 22" frame and it feels way to big. So do you other riders know or relate to what I mean when I say that at home feel on a bike?
    Bike?...+You?...+"Zone"?...
    ??
    Yeah. I know that feeling.All 3 fit as one.
    Nothing like it.
    Z
    i have more than you.
    ...because i have me and you.

zarr