mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Can I use Avid bleed TOOLS on Shimano brakes?

Before you say it, I know, I know... Avid uses DOT and Shimano uses mineral, and the two are incompatible.

My question is, can I use the tools in the following kit to bleed my Shimano M666 brakes?

Amazon.com: Avid Standard Bleed Kit For Disc Brakes - DOT Fluid Not Included: Sports & Outdoors

The lack of a complete kit for bleeding Shimano brakes is INSANELY FRUSTRATING!!!! Some kits have the block, others don't. One kit has this yellow funnel thingy, others don't. It's amazingly (perhaps intentionally?) difficult to buy a complete Shimano kit.

I know I can make my own kit with tubes from a pet store, and baby oil from CVS. Not interested in that. Just want a comprehensive set of quality tools.

So... Has anyone had success using the Avid IMPLEMENTS in the aforementioned kit to bleed Shimano brakes?

THANKS!!!

that Avid kit looks pretty similar to the Magura kit that I use for my brakes. Magura considers the syringes to be essentially disposable after a few uses, so it packages cheap ones in sealed packages.

Really, what it's going to come down to are the specifics for your particular brakes. How are you supposed to get new fluid in and flush the old out as per Shimano's instructions for the labor, not the parts? Do you need fittings for your particular brakes?

For mine, the syringe with new fluid threads onto the caliper. The empty syringe used to remove old fluid does not thread onto anything at the master cylinder/lever end of things. As long as I had the right fitting for the caliper end, I could use whatever syringe I wanted.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    My Shimano M666 brakes do have a threaded bleed port on the lever cylinder. But the cylinder cover can still be removed I believe.

I guess it really depends on whether the tubing (with threaded fitting removed) will snug over the bleed nipple on the caliper, since the caliper does not have threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Master Slater View Post
    My Shimano M666 brakes do have a threaded bleed port on the lever cylinder. But the cylinder cover can still be removed I believe.

I guess it really depends on whether the tubing (with threaded fitting removed) will snug over the bleed nipple on the caliper, since the caliper does not have threads.
    the fitting I need for mine (and looks like it comes on the avid kit you linked) is just a nipple that threads onto the bleed port.

if your brakes only need a couple syringes, a little tubing, and fluid, why not source the parts separately? if that is really all you need, you'd be buying a lot of unnecessary parts and spending more than you need for this job.