mtbr member
    May 2009

Can cold weather embrocation be used with tights/legwarmers?

I'm considering trying some warming embrocation this winter. Last winters hamstring injury has me thinking about how to keep those muscles warm and happy this year. So naturally I am curious about these warming pre ride ointments.

Do mountain bikers ever embrocate? What is everyone using for embrocation, and can it be used under the typical winter gear?

If it can't be used under winter gear then I don't consider it an option.
    Also, I realize that some shave their legs for this purpose, and I know that is a whole other topic, but I don't plan on doing so.

Thank you

Stay thirsty my friends
    Forget the lotions, get some polar fleece long johns...good for -40C with waterproof riding pants on top and my legs are never cold.

Its all I use.

You wanna go ridin?
    Quote Originally Posted by 4JawChuck
    Forget the lotions, get some polar fleece long johns...good for -40C with waterproof riding pants on top and my legs are never cold.

Its all I use.

+1.

SportHill makes some niece cold weather pants also that work great for xcountry skiing, running, snowshoeing etc so they are versatile. Never been cold yet. Now as for my feet-differant story but I'm making progress.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I went to Sporthill online, I might give those a try if they work as well as you are saying.
    My thanks to both of you. That would certainly be less messy and bothersome than embrocating.

I wanted to add moishlashen, if you don't mind sharing your progress for the feet problems I could use some help there too. Since I do use spd pedals and couldn't be happy without them, I don't have much flexibility as far as non-cycling solutions. Besides experimenting with socks, I'm afraid I may have to dig deep for a good pair of winter spd boots. I don't really want to sink another $200 into bike gear, but I know that Louis Garneau has a good pair rated for 5 degrees, and in that price range. It's the best I've found so far.

Last year I was even stuffing those dry chemical hand warmers into the toes of my shoes and using shoe covers over them, but that was never effective for more than one or two hours.

mtbr member
    To keep my feet warm, I use a product called "TostiToes." They are adhesive backed, self-activting foot warmers and they last up to 6 hours. You can find them at Walmart in the hunting section.

You wanna go ridin?
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bikepennyless
    I went to Sporthill online, I might give those a try if they work as well as you are saying.
    My thanks to both of you. That would certainly be less messy and bothersome than embrocating.

I wanted to add moishlashen, if you don't mind sharing your progress for the feet problems I could use some help there too. Since I do use spd pedals and couldn't be happy without them, I don't have much flexibility as far as non-cycling solutions. Besides experimenting with socks, I'm afraid I may have to dig deep for a good pair of winter spd boots. I don't really want to sink another $200 into bike gear, but I know that Louis Garneau has a good pair rated for 5 degrees, and in that price range. It's the best I've found so far.

Last year I was even stuffing those dry chemical hand warmers into the toes of my shoes and using shoe covers over them, but that was never effective for more than one or two hours.

Same exact position with the feet-don't feel like spending $200 on winter riding shoes. Shoe covers and chemical warmers currently and yeah about 2 hours. Its a tough nut to crack really. You are attached to the pedals via metal clips which are right under your feet so your feet are constantly being cooled to outside temp. Today I just wore boots and platforms which felt foreign and my feet still got cold after about 1 hour in 20F and windy.

Stay thirsty my friends
    I use -40C rated hiking boots and flats, I never found a decent solution for riding in the extreme cold with SPD's...even booties didn't work at -40C. The boots I have are thinsulate lined and not much thicker than a high top running shoe so they are plenty flexible and comfy on the bike.

They did cost $180 however.