Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member

New question here. Can cleat tension be adjusted on EGGBEATERS pedals?

Can cleat tension be adjusted on any of the EGGBEATERS pedals? These are a great lightweight choice but I have been shying away because I set my cleat tension quite loose sometimes.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    you cant change the tension but if you flip the cleats from the the left shoe to the right it will disengage at a wider angle

mtbr member
    I would want to make them easier to get out of though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sklein
    I would want to make them easier to get out of though.
    There's no problem at all getting out of Crank Brothers pedals, they are very smooth in that respect. It really shouldn't be a problem unless something is wrong.

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by rockdude14
    you cant change the tension but if you flip the cleats from the the left shoe to the right it will disengage at a wider angle
    Like the others have said there is NO tension adjustment. You get 2 options for float adjustment by flipping over the cleat. I don't think the tension adjustment is needed. I have been riding eggs for years and have never wanted to adjust the tension. Eggs are great especialy in the mud.

If you like the idea of eggs but still want tension adjustment check out the time atac pedals. They work like eggs and I think they have adjustable tension. But I'm not sure.

it's....
    If you like loose tension, trade your new cleats with another rider for his worn cleats.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    After a couple of weeks bedding in (they are initially fairly stiff) , my eggbeaters disengage just right as they are. I've never got stuck in them, and never 'accidently' disengaged either, so I've never felt the urge to adjust them.

Best spds I've used.

mtbr member
    if you just got them the cleats may not have broken in yet

the cleats will wear and become more easy to get out of

any chance you shoe might be catching somewhere
    if so they come with some risers

mtbr member
    The eggbeater design dosn't rely on spring tension to control disengagement, so there is no need for adjustable tension. They're far easier to get out of than Shimanos or Times.

Yummy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Oxmells
    Best spds I've used.
    They are most definitely not SPDs. SPD is a trademark name meaning Shimano Pedaling Dynamics.

Kn.
    I used to be with it. Then, they changed what "it" is, and now what I'm with is no longer "it". And whatever "it" is, is strange and confusing.

Girt by sea.
    Reading between the lines, it looks like you haven't bought them yet.

I fitted a pair of Eggbeater SLs 2 days ago after riding for the last two years on Shimanos. Eggbeaters are MUCH easier to get out of than the Shimanos ever were, even on their lightest setting. You will not have any problems disengaging from the Eggbeaters if you are already riding Shimanos.

Cheers,
    Graeme
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My photography web site: www.scenebyhird.com

Elitest thrill junkie
    The idea that "if it doesn't have the adjustment, you don't need it" is pretty funny in of itself.

After just a couple rides, eggbeaters would release way too easy for me, causing me to sometimes smash my knee into the stem or get ejected when the lower part of the pedal comes in contact with a rock. The cleats wear fast, but what is worse is that I could never release by twisting my foot inward, which happens sometimes. It's not the most common way to release, but in some situations I'd need to release in this way, and the eggbeaters just wouldn't do it. I tried lots of different positions and such. The eggbeaters are a minimalist product, for someone looking to lighten their ride. There are disadvantages, and not being able to adjust the release and inconsistant release are a few of them.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    The idea that "if it doesn't have the adjustment, you don't need it" is pretty funny in of itself.

After just a couple rides, eggbeaters would release way too easy for me, causing me to sometimes smash my knee into the stem or get ejected when the lower part of the pedal comes in contact with a rock. The cleats wear fast, but what is worse is that I could never release by twisting my foot inward, which happens sometimes. It's not the most common way to release, but in some situations I'd need to release in this way, and the eggbeaters just wouldn't do it. I tried lots of different positions and such. The eggbeaters are a minimalist product, for someone looking to lighten their ride. There are disadvantages, and not being able to adjust the release and inconsistant release are a few of them.
    I'm a little curious as to what circumstances you were in where you had to disengage by twisting your heel inwards. I've never "had" to do this, and it seems like a generally bad idea (more likely to trap your heel/foot somewhere in your own bike!).

Of course you are correct when you say that Eggbeaters have disadvantages, every product does. That said, I don't agree that "The eggbeaters are a minimalist product, for someone looking to lighten their ride.". That's too simplistic an answer. They are minimalistic, certainly, but the simplicity of the design gives great advantages (light weight, less likely to clog with muck, relatively easy to click in to and out of, etc.) I have used both Looks and SPDs before, and all I can say is that my three decent bikes (two road, one MTB) all have Eggbeaters on them.

My 6 cents.

mtbr member
    That's right Kalgrm I have not bought them. My back up bike is my buddy's bike that he hasn't touched in 5 years. The whole bike and a pair of E-beetR's is (are) hanging on the wall of the garage but I haven't ridden them....I put my SPD -type Specialized pedals on.

mtbr member
    I just switched from Shimano spd to egg beaters and I am having a real hard time clipping in. Does anyone have any idea how to make the engagement easier to lock in ?
    POSITIVE MINDS POSITIVE VIBES POSITIVE LIFE

use worn cleats

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by hyperspeed View Post
    I just switched from Shimano spd to egg beaters and I am having a real hard time clipping in. Does anyone have any idea how to make the engagement easier to lock in ?
    Yes! buy some TIME pedals and "for git about it"
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

No. Just No. Moderator
    Eggs are pretty much the easiest pedals to clip into (aside from the somewhat "vague" feeling), but only if you aren't having any interference issues with the lugs on the soles of your shoes, and there's nothing unusual about the distance of the cleat from your sole as it sits mounted on the bottom of your shoe. CB pedals come with black plastic spacers to add more distance if that's the problem, and lug interference can usually be solved with careful use of a knife, dremel, etc. to remove a bit of material from lugs so that the pedal's retention bars can easily get up into the pocket of space in between the lugs to interface with the cleat.

The best way to start analyzing is to get off the bike, take off your shoe, and manipulate it in/out of the pedal with your hands a few times, watching closely for any of the aforementioned issues both during engagement and after clipped in. Note that getting a show to clip in with your hands instead of body weight isn't always the easiest thing to do! You may have to clip in, then take your foot out of your shoe while it is still engaged to get off your bike and check things out.

mtbr member
    worn cleats can help a bit and I remember seeing pre-worn new cleats for sale somewhere but can't remember where.
    -As the springs on the pedals get worn/used they become more forgiving.
    -The cleat may be too deep into your shoe. A shim under the cleat will make it stick out further and may be your only issue. And/or maybe remove some lug/material from the shoe if it's interfering.
    Round and round we go

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    Eggs are pretty much the easiest pedals to clip into except for TIME.
    Fixed it for ya.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

No. Just No. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Fixed it for ya.
    S'ok, I have lots of time riding both. I called it like I see it, no fixes required.

mtbr member
    Awesome =) thanks everyone for the advice you all are great
    POSITIVE MINDS POSITIVE VIBES POSITIVE LIFE

The Original Suspect
    Quote Originally Posted by joloughl View Post
    I'm a little curious as to what circumstances you were in where you had to disengage by twisting your heel inwards. I've never "had" to do this, and it seems like a generally bad idea (more likely to trap your heel/foot somewhere in your own bike!).
    On instance that happened to me. I was climbing a tight switchback and lost balance and fell to my left. Lying on my left side it was very difficult to release my right foot from the pedal in the position I was in. I only managed to by twisting inward and that was awkward. This happened to my twice and thus I switched back to Shimano.

I will say that I like the float of my CB pedals but that's about it. I know the OP was asking about eggbeater, but my experience is with Candy and Candy II which have very similar if not the same mechanism. Loose bearings after less than 10 rides, poor disengagement in awkward situations. I'll take the added weight of SPD's (any version) over CB.

EDIT: Damn, I just noticed this is an 8 year old thread. Oh well, I still stand by my comment.

meh... whatever
    eggbeaters suck.

put your spd pedals back on and just dial down the spring tension.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    -As the springs on the pedals get worn/used they become more forgiving.
    nope. the bars of the body assembly will start to wear to the point of rendering the pedal useless long before the spring will begin to weaken.

the soft brass cleat is what wears making entry/exit "more forgiving".
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast