Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    It's a little more complicated than that. Since they go so fast, you end up with bloody knees as they start releasing at the wrong times, like during a real hard uphill where you're pulling hard on the bike. Unfortunately this happened to me more than once. I'm not sure I've ever had SPD cleats wear out, it always seems I wear out the shoes long before the cleats have had it, and then I just get new cleats with new shoes or use an extra pair of cleats that I've accumulated. The unpredictable release with eggs is one of the reasons I can't use them.
    Sorry about all those bloody knees and drama. You have me thinking I should go out to the garage and check my cleats asap. The last thing i need in my life is more drama.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    How shimano managed to solve the one problem with their mechanism that plagued them over many years, mud/snow clearance, and managed to keep the same exact mechanical function and cleats is genius IMO. Not sure if you've noticed, shimano continues improving all their parts on a rotating basis. Old 737 pedals were dead reliable and worked great, as long as it was not muddy or snowy. With the newer style shimanno pedals I have no problems in the snow, it pushes right through and I'm able to clip in, which is great.

This would be like CB fixing the bottom-impact-top-exit problem or making pedals that weren't disposable.
    Glad you like spd and are proud of them for fixing their problems. Couldn't tell you about cb with snow. When it snows i go skiing or snowmobiling but always admire the diehards that pedal. Kudos to you.
    Round and round we go

The Original Suspect
    I've never had a mud/snow/ice problem per se with the pedals but with cleat and shoe. Mud will get caked up around the cleat and make it impossible to clip in without cleaning up the area. I am sure this can be a problem with just about every cleat/shoe interface not a SPD specific problem.

Jayem- I agree with you about Shimano improving their mud clearance. I ran old 737 and 535 and back in the day that was a gripe for sure by the people who used them in those conditions. About 90% of my riding over the last 20 years has been in Arizona so mud/snow clearance just wasn't an issue and those old models worked great for me. I currently own 4 sets of different SPD's and two CB. One set of SPD's is about 15 yrs old and has never needed any service what so ever. I can't say that for either pair of CB.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HitmenOnlyInc View Post
    I've never had a mud/snow/ice problem per se with the pedals but with cleat and shoe. Mud will get caked up around the cleat and make it impossible to clip in without cleaning up the area. I am sure this can be a problem with just about every cleat/shoe interface not a SPD specific problem.
    Good point about cleat and shoe. With cb unless you get a rock or piece of wood wedged in there just the right way, the pedal cuts right throu the mud and engagement isn't an issue. it also sheds from the pedal well so build up is not a problem.
    Round and round we go

Trail Prospector

Re: Can cleat tension be adjusted on EGGBEATERS pedals?

Almost afraid to weigh in here, but since we're now back on topic... Choose CB's for performance in mud & snow, and realize that they're far from perfect. Also witnessed spd's weaknesses, and people losing spring adjustment screws.

per DJ's input next I'll try the Time's.

(tapa)
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5