Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    Time, look, and cb work the same way...and the more you pull up the stronger the connection.
    Yup, I've had that problem many times. Trying to yank your foot out (in an emergency, but the emergency is currently in progress) can be impossible with these, you also can't achieve the right angle from many different body positions, compared to spds where if you yank hard enough, you can overcome the spring from most any position.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Yup, I've had that problem many times
    it's not a problem, it's a release angle
    Round and round we go

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat
    If we're gonna make a great clipless thread out of the ashes of "eggbeater suck" think a few things that aren't discussed or maybe understood too much that'r worth putting out there...
    accurate information is the hallmark of any great equipment thread, whether a phoenix or not. think a few things that were discussed don't appear to be understood too much that'r worth putting out there...

1. Time, look, and cb work the same way.
    2. The cleat can move side to side (lateral float)
    3. you'll also feel release angle tension along with that so some argue they have any real float at all.
    4. As the cleats wear you'll get more wiggle room.
    5. You can also adjust release tension with a shim under the cleat or shoe thickness because it's an active type release.
    6. Spd works different. Look at the pedal. There's a grove for the cleat to fit into with noticeably less float.
    7. With spd if you move the cleat from this position to adjust release angle you feel the tension. If you adjust the spring tension you will feel it more/less.

1. actually no, they don't. eggs have a completely different design from the other two that is inherently flawed - they release upon pedal strike. time and look, however, do not. (nor do spd, for that matter)
    2. pretty much only in the time, unless egg cleats are worn out. times have 6mm lateral float, look has 1mm, and eggs can very wildly due to cleat wear and overall crappy construction.
    3. been running spd longer than i can remember at full tension. even with the tension dialed up all the way there is no interference with float. float interference in sdp is generally due to a rock or some foreign object being stuck in the cleat retention mechanism.
    4. true. however, the brass cleats on the eggs and times wear MUCH faster than the hardened steel cleats of the look and spd. and the more the cleats wear, the less they are doing their job. thus, i'd suggest wear isn't desirable.
    5. shims are to deal with shoe lug interference, not to adjust release tension. putting shims under a cleat where there is no lug interference in an attempt to tinker with release tension can cause increased vertical slop when clipped in. times, however, do have adjustable spring tension like spd.
    6. spd = 6 degrees float. eggs = 6 degrees float. look s-track = 3 degrees float atac = 5 degrees float
    7. not exactly. when the cleat needs to be moved from neutral position it is generally to re-center the cleat to compensate for some biomechanical, anatomical, or physiological anomaly. in other words, if the release angle is awkward then either the cleat is positioned wrong or there is some b/a/p anomaly at play. however, once the foot is then centered due to cleat adjustment it is pretty much at the center of the float with no sensation of increased tension.

so all things considered it looks like eggs still suck.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Yup, I've had that problem many times. Trying to yank your foot out (in an emergency, but the emergency is currently in progress) can be impossible with these, you also can't achieve the right angle from many different body positions, compared to spds where if you yank hard enough, you can overcome the spring from most any position.
    lots of people have that problem, and accordingly dislike clipless systems that don't allow disengaging via pulling up.

spd pedals with SH56 multi-release cleats (the silver ones) allow you to pull up to unclip. not so much with the SH51 (black ones).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by monogod View Post
    accurate information is the hallmark of any great equipment thread, whether a phoenix or not. think a few things that were discussed don't appear to be understood too much that'r worth putting out there...
    so all things considered it looks like eggs still suck.
    Not going to write a list and number it.
    Yes most people who use a shim on cb do so to get their shoe to clip in. You can also use it to help adjust release tension because it's an active release, that's how they're the same and unlike spd. Pedal and shoe grip can also be used for release tension and float control. That's not discussed much neither. Not to mention your/our retard contest has been discussed enough, at least i think
    Yes cb can unclip you if you hit just the right spot on the bottom, at the right angle, if you have a pedal strike. It's not "unexpected" when you know it could happen. No more unexpected than you know crashing face first into a tree is gonna hurt. Some like to point to this but it's simply not an issue that causes concern, only a talking point.
    Some would argue spd have any float and that being able to release by pulling up is an inherent design flaw with both type cleats, but i didn't. Could have questioned why all other popular clipless work with pretty much the same design but spd does not. They still use the same dated tech and why then are they always trying to come out with variations if it's already the best. Could also say that there's more problems with cb because there's alot more people using them, at least everywhere I ride, but didn't do that neither. Was trying to keep it impersonal, unbiased and just discuss some things that'r not widely discussed I think are relevant to the topic. Not saying I'm right, just sharing my experience and impression. let's say I'm dead wrong, you're right and you are the absolute authority and expert on any given subject as you pretend to be on the interwebz, do you have to be nasty and derogatory while sharing that info, or is always a popularity contest with you.
    So if you have you have to have the last word go ahead, and take a few lines out of context and use it to make yourself feel better.
    Round and round we go

meh... whatever
    1. Yes cb can unclip you if you hit just the right spot on the bottom, at the right angle, if you have a pedal strike. Some like to point to this but it's simply not an issue that causes concern, only a talking point for naysayers.
    2. Some would argue spd have any float
    3. being able to release by pulling up is an inherent design flaw with both type cleats
    4. It's not "unexpected" when you know it could happen.
    5. Could have questioned why all other popular clipless work with pretty much the same design but spd does not. They still use the same dated tech and why then are they always trying to come out with variations if it's already the best.
    6. Not to mention your/our retard contest has been discussed enough, at least i think
    1. i disagree on both counts. for one thing it's not a rare occurrence that requires an impact in "just the right spot". when the bottom two bars of the cage assembly come down on something the design causes the pedal to open and release the cleat. ergo, it's a design flaw.for another, i'd suggest it actually is a pretty big deal and a big concern when the cleat is unintentionally released by a pedal strike and a crash results or the pedal swings around and slams the back of the leg. it's why myself and countless other people abandoned eggs.
    2. who??? perhaps only those who haven't actually ridden them. they have ample float provided (as with other systems) there is no interference with the cleat and retention assembly neither is damaged.
    3. being able to release by pulling up with the SH56 is not a design flaw, IT'S THE DESIGN. the 51's are single release "kick out" cleats which don't allow disengagement by pulling up. so no design flaw there either.pretty much the only way the 51 will disengage by pulling up is if the cleat or cage assembly is worn/damaged, or if a cheap spd knock-off is being used. in the almost 2 decades i've ridden spd 51 cleats i've never had one disengage by pulling up. and that's logging thousands of miles a year and riding all over the world.
    4. that is quite possibly the dumbest thing you've ever posted on mtbr. and that's saying a lot.
    5. they are not constantly revamping them, and it's not dated tech. do some homework and you won't make stupid statements like this. i've got 15 year old cleats that work in brand new pedals and vice-versa.are the other companies using "dated tech" because they're still using the same design as 10+ years ago? seriously, dude... do you even ride?
    6. and you've emerged undefeated and victorious! now take your trophy and go home.

Was trying to keep it impersonal, unbiased and just discuss some things that'r not widely discussed I think are relevant to the topic.
    me too. that's why i merely discussed the veracity of the information you shared. you made it personal with your rote sniveling below, captain butthurt.

Not saying I'm right, just sharing my experience and impression. let's say I'm dead wrong, you're right and you are the absolute authority and expert on any given subject as you pretend to be on the interwebz, do you have to be nasty and derogatory while sharing that info, or is always a popularity contest with you.
    brace yourself for this, as it will probably come as a shock to you - but just as you're free to share your impressions and opinions on an open interweb forum others are as well. accordingly, anything you put out there is fair game for a reply. so either htfu or quit posting. it really is as simple as that. i hope this is the last time we have to listen to your sniveling about this, but something tells me "not by a long shot".

so stfu and quit playing the victim, crybaby. if you don't like my posts then add me to your iggy list. problem solved. but for the love of larry, moe, and curly quit your incessant mewing and whimpering about it.
    Last edited by monogod; 06-12-2014 at 09:03 PM. Reason: theMeat keeps changing his post after it's been quted and replied to.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Re: Can cleat tension be adjusted on EGGBEATERS pedals?

1. i disagree on both counts. for one thing it's not a rare occurrence that requires an impact in "just the right spot". when the bottom two bars of the cage assembly come down on something the design causes the pedal to open and release the cleat. ergo, it's a design flaw.

for another, i'd suggest it actually is a pretty big deal and a big concern when the cleat is unintentionally released by a pedal strike and a crash results or the pedal swings around and slams the back of the leg. it's why myself and countless other people abandoned eggs.

2. who??? perhaps only those who haven't actually ridden them. they have ample float provided (as with other systems) there is no interference with the cleat and retention assembly neither is damaged.
    3. being able to release by pulling up with the SH56 is not a design flaw, IT'S THE DESIGN. the 51's are single release "kick out" cleats which don't allow disengagement by pulling up. so no design flaw there either.

pretty much the only way the 51 will disengage by pulling up is if the cleat or cage assembly is worn/damaged, or if a cheap spd knock-off is being used. in the almost 2 decades i've ridden spd 51 cleats i've never had one disengage by pulling up. and that's logging thousands of miles a year and riding all over the world.

me too. that's why i merely discussed the veracity of the information you shared. you made it personal with your rote sniveling below, captain butthurt.

brace yourself for this, as it will probably come as a shock to you - but just as you're free to share your impressions and opinions on an open interweb forum others are as well. accordingly, anything you put out there is fair game for a reply. so either htfu or quit posting. it really is as simple as that. i hope this is the last time we have to listen to your sniveling about this, but something tells me "not by a long shot".

so stfu and quit playing the victim, crybaby. if you don't like my posts then add me to your iggy list. problem solved. but for the love of larry, moe, and curly quit your incessant mewing and whimpering about it.
    ^^^This. All of it.

mtbr member
    Wow, charming too.
    -1, guess lots of people are lucky with them, and i'd agree it's not a good thing
    -2, had spd on a few bikes. Much more stable feel with spring tension. Not saying they don't have float but you're feeling the spring, at least more. If I ride with road shoes (harder, stiffer) on candies i feel like I'm on ice compared to a more planted feel with trail shoes. That's more noticeable with cb then with spd because of a lack of that stable feel/design. That's my simple not discussed much point, and of coarse the less weight on the pedal the less that matters
    -3, Have only ridden single angle, never had a pull out, and am aware of the multi angle that many use. For why I enjoy candies can't see how or why i'd enjoy a multi angle release, and it's a different experience with either cleat offered by spd when pulling up you gain a connection, pushing down you ease release regardless of whether you become unclipped or not. For the record, urrr the list, that is my other not discussed much point.
    -4, oh there is no 4. but oh great now there's a 5
    -5, Shimano Shows Off Super Light Action Click?r SPD Pedals Looks like a spd i'd be more interested in with it's less "stable" single spring design. Unfortunate they made the release angle even easier, lower and further away from all the others with 8.5 release angle. Didn't they know cb already cornered the market with getting out easy with it's hit a rock design.
    -6, No I'd have to give the prize to you. I'm just a helpless victim here
    -6, from your post/list from before the more recent second consecutive post/list. It appears and is news to me why look has 3 deg float and time 5 as compared to 6 on spd and cb is because of a wider width on of the back of the cleat limiting it's movement

next comes 4 right.
    -4, Stupidest things said on mtbr contest? You may have me beat on how much you know about clipless as well as other things, and clearly enjoy it in a pompous way even when you don't. Simply put, you telling me others are entitled to their opinion on forums wins that contest too
    https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...orums.mtbr.com
    You might be honored but don't be, I haven't looked at any post on those pages of mono blah, unless of coarse i took part in them. Don't have to, have learned. Every time I see you post, even when it's not one of your stalking threads, it's look at what I got it's the best, to telling someone they don't know what they're talking about because they ride crap or whatever mean mr nasty pants thing you want to make up to get off on. All while hearing tails of you're an avid rider and work in lbs for years idk maybe world wide? Over 15 years of various college degree, dead on arrival not once but twice, etc, link provided. Which is amazing considering how much time you spend here righting resumes and winning trophies and ?
    I'll say it again as I did to you from the beginning. You have knowledge, are willing to share it, and can be funny sometimes. If you weren't such a pompous jerk it would be better. Oh and brace yourself, this will come as a shock to you, then I'd stfu.
    Last edited by theMeat; 06-13-2014 at 10:15 AM.
    Round and round we go

The Original Suspect
    You two (meat, mono) should just get a room or something. This pissing contest is a week old now, I am not even sure the poster who revived this dead thread has posted after his "thank you."

I think we get it...CB suck, SPD's are a tried and true design superior to CB, and Time have a "try them once and nothing else exists after" following. All are fine for the people who use them and like them. Choice is good, why does it need to be a debate. I've ridden SPD's for over 20 yrs, I've tried CB and don't like them, never tried Time and when I do, maybe I'll find them better to my liking. But for now, i'll stick to SPD's with single release cleats that rarely wear out.

mtbr member
    good stuff Hitmen
    In an attempt to stay ot
    Can see why someone would like spd better no doubt. Can also see and understand the fact that spd cleats last longer, but cb cleats are made from brass not wet paper towel, last plenty, and when they get worn you buy new ones for a few bucks. Not a deal breaker for someone who likes em.
    Round and round we go

meh... whatever
    I'm just a helpless victim here
    first you say you're not a victim, now you claim to be a helpless victim. can't have it both ways, so which is it, psychoboy?

btw, the instigator crying about being a victim makes about as much sense as claiming to be the victim of assault after picking a fight and getting your ass kicked.

You may have me beat on how much you know about clipless as well as other things
    which clearly bothers you as you lash out at me repeatedly for it. but let me clue you in on something, bro. people beat me on how much they know about things all the time. ALL. THE. TIME. unlike you, however, i try to make friends with and learn from those with more knowledge/wisdom than i and pull myself up to their level rather than raging against them like don quixote. in fact, there's even a place that i go to PAY PEOPLE to beat me on how much i know! wacky, huh?!?!?

the good news is that ignorance (lack of knowledge) can be changed, while stupidity (lack of ability to learn) can't. however, the more you whine and joust windmills the more it suggests you're struggling with stupidity rather than ignorance. not saying you are, just saying that your actions make it seem that way. more good news is that by changing your actions you can change that impression.

Simply put, you telling me others are entitled to their opinion on forums wins that contest too
    https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...orums.mtbr.com
    all your google search proves is 1.) that you have an unhealthy obsession with another forum member; and 2.) that "epic fail" is one of my favorite catch phrases. the first is creepy, but the second? so what!!! since you keep posting your google search it clearly means something to you because you crow about it as though it's some sort of coup de grace. but it proves nothing other than you obsess over another man. which makes it an epic fail as an insult. (see what i did there?)

All while hearing tails of you're an avid rider and work in lbs for years idk maybe world wide? Over 15 years of various college degree, dead on arrival not once but twice, etc, link provided. Which is amazing considering how much time you spend here righting resumes and winning trophies and ?
    your rabid jealousy rears it's ugly head again. i've lived, and continue to live, my life to the fullest - which results in a wide array of experiences, stories to tell, and in many areas qualification to speak as an expert.

you haven't lived your life in like manner. boo hoo. that's how YOU chose to live your life. DEAL WITH IT. it's completely understandable that a borderline functional retart who can't even use "then/than", "write/right", "your/you're", or "course/coarse" correctly would castigate and denigrate people who've done goned off to kolledge.

raging against knowledge only exposes one's lack of it.
    If you weren't such a pompous jerk it would be better. Oh and brace yourself, this will come as a shock to you, then I'd stfu.
    no, you need to stfu and quit your incessant mewing irrespective of whether i'm a pompous jerk or refined gentleman because i'm not accountable to you. you're not my keeper nor are you a mod nor am i your subordinate. so stfu.

there's a very simple solution to your problem, interweb avenger - one that is not an epic fail like your current approach. however, if you choose not to iggy, that's ok too - but quit your interminate, monotonous whining. seriously. you just make yourself look like a weak, pathetic schmuck the more you carry on with it.

p.s.
    if you want to take this further, do this thread and mtbr a favor and do it via PM. you can flame, denigrate, insult, and "shut me down" all you want without infringing upon others, and likewise with my replies to your vacuous pablum. otherwise stfu and let it go.
    Last edited by monogod; 06-13-2014 at 12:36 PM. Reason: post script added

meh... whatever
    now, to get this thread back on track (and please LEAVE it on track, meat)...

-5, Shimano Shows Off Super Light Action Click?r SPD Pedals Looks like a spd i'd be more interested in with it's less "stable" single spring design. Unfortunate they made the release angle even easier, lower and further away from all the others with 8.5 release angle.
    that's not a revamp of dated tech. that's the click'r system (pedals/shoes) which is THE EXACT SAME SPD TECH but with a single spring instead of double and a decreased release angle. this results in less effort to clip in and out. they are aimed squarely at clipless newbs to increase their confidence in clipping in/out and make the transition easier and less "eventful" as it were.

what they are NOT is a revamp of an inferior or inherently flawed design.

It appears and is news to me why look has 3 deg float and time 5 as compared to 6 on spd and cb is because of a wider width on of the back of the cleat limiting it's movement
    well, none of us knows everything. a day without learning is a day not worth living.

and yes, float is determined by the cleat rather than the pedal.

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by HitmenOnlyInc View Post
    I think we get it...CB suck, SPD's are a tried and true design superior to CB, and Time have a "try them once and nothing else exists after" following. All are fine for the people who use them and like them. Choice is good, why does it need to be a debate. I've ridden SPD's for over 20 yrs, I've tried CB and don't like them, never tried Time and when I do, maybe I'll find them better to my liking. But for now, i'll stick to SPD's with single release cleats that rarely wear out.
    as i've said before, whatever pedal gets someone on their bike and riding the most often and results in the most enjoyment is the best pedal for them.

never the less, that doesn't discount the similarities/discrepancies in the various clipless platforms, the strengths and weaknesses of each, or the validity of a discussion about all facets. some people swear by spd, some at them. same with every other pedal on the market.

totally agree that choice is good. lots of options means it's likely that more people will find a product they like. this means more people in the sport. which means more money to manufacturers. which means more $ to r&d. which means improvements in current products and innovation of new ones.

BOOM! everyone wins.

mtbr member
    post #86, bunch of ?
    Yeah, talk about stfu, let it go, and infringing on other. Just so you know aside from the ps the rest i did not read. But don't let that stop you
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    now, to get this thread back on track (and please LEAVE it on track, meat)...

that's not a revamp of dated tech. that's the click'r system (pedals/shoes) which is THE EXACT SAME SPD TECH but with a single spring instead of double and a decreased release angle. this results in less effort to clip in and out. they are aimed squarely at clipless newbs to increase their confidence in clipping in/out and make the transition easier and less "eventful" as it were.

what they are NOT is a revamp of an inferior or inherently flawed design.

well, none of us knows everything. a day without learning is a day not worth living.

and yes, float is determined by the cleat rather than the pedal.
    Never said it was revamped, asked why if spd was already the best (perfect) why they(shimano) would keep coming up with new models.

Float is determined by both the pedal and the cleat

Already read about the new spd pedals SHIMANO CLICK'R - TECHNOLOGIES - CYCLING FOOTWEAR AND PEDALS - LIFESTYLE GEAR - SHIMANO but thanx for staying on topic, some will find this and that useful.
    Round and round we go

meh... whatever
    since this pathetic, imbecilic, mewing crybaby is hellbent to defecate on the thread with his psychosis let's get it back on track YET AGAIN...

because this has pretty much become a thread about foot retention systems perhaps it's about time straps are mentioned. i use them on my street fixie (a sweet 1972 mirella leri), one of my commuters, as well as my dinglespeed fixed bianchi san jose that gets road and mtb trail use.

i've been using the fyxation gates straps and mesa pedals for years and love them. easy to adjust, the mesa pedals are smooth (sealed bearings), bomb proof, and rebuildable. this setup holds like mad with 5.10 freeriders and is great for doing back-country stuff (lots of hike-a-bike) or rides where there is lots of walking or hanging out interspersed in the riding and traditional clipless shoes would be a pain.

anyone else running flats/straps?

meh... whatever
    Never said it was revamped, asked why if spd was already the best (perfect) why they(shimano) would keep coming up with new models.
    1. they don't "keep coming up with new models".

2. as to "why" the click'r system was introduced if they're already the best - that's been previously addressed. but i can only type the words, not make you smart enough to comprehend them.

Float is determined by both the pedal and the cleat
    no it's not. the cleat determines the amount of float in the retention cage. that's why some pedal systems offer varying degrees of float depending on which cleat is used. same pedal + different cleat = different float. what's the only variable? THE CLEAT.

Already read about the new spd pedals
    then apparently you didn't comprehend what you read. otherwise there would have been no need for the question.

mtbr member
    On second though, ^ , nm.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    since this pathetic, imbecilic, mewing crybaby is hellbent to defecate on the thread with his psychosis let's get it back on track YET AGAIN...

since this has pretty much become a thread about foot retention systems perhaps it's about time straps are mentioned. i use them on my street fixie (a sweet 1972 mirella leri), one of my commuters, as well as my dinglespeed fixed bianchi san jose that gets road and mtb trail use.

i've been using the fyxation gates straps and mesa pedals for years and love them. easy to adjust, the mesa pedals are smooth (sealed bearings), bomb proof, and rebuildable. this setup holds like mad with 5.10 freeriders and is great for doing back-country stuff or rides where there is lots of walking or hanging out interspersed in the riding and traditional shoes would be a pain.

just out of curiosity, anyone else running flats/straps?

Good stuff mono, aside from your constant well, you know. Unfortunate you have no control, no grasp of reality, and simply don't understand personal responsibility. But hey, on the bright side your grammar is excellent.
    These are popular in some areas, way popular among fixies. The only down sides i can see is that the strap will get beat up and in the way when underneath, and getting out could take longer than with clipless depending on shoe pedal combo. Have also seen 1 strap on one pedal used.
    Round and round we go

meh... whatever
    ~fatuous bleating snipped~

The only down sides i can see is that the strap will get beat up and in the way when underneath, and getting out could take longer than with clipless depending on shoe pedal combo.
    well, since the strap runs THROUGH the pedal and not under it the strap doesn't get beat up, in the way, or caught on anything.

ease/speed of getting out is determined more so by strap tightness and practice, but takes no longer than with clipless.

mtbr member
    well, since the strap runs THROUGH the pedal and not under it the strap doesn't get beat up, in the way, or caught on anything.

ease/speed of getting out is determined more so by strap tightness and practice, but takes no longer than with clipless.
    Was talking about when not strapped in and the pedal rotates from the weight of the strap leaving it underneath. As with older toe clip and straps do.
    Would also think as well that if the strap is tight enough to be effective, with grippy pedals and grippy shoes getting in and out can take some effort.
    Round and round we go

meh... whatever
    Was talking about when not strapped in and the pedal rotates from the weight of the strap leaving it underneath. As with older toe clip and straps do.
    yeah, i guess that could be a problem... unless they're used correctly. the object is to have the strap OVER your foot while riding rather than underneath the pedal.

Would also think as well that if the strap is tight enough to be effective, with grippy pedals and grippy shoes getting in and out can take some effort.
    nope. "would seem" sounds like you've never used straps. even with pinned pedals, like mesas and others, and grippy shoes like the 5.10 freerider, it doesn't take effort to get in or out with CORRECTLY adjusted straps.

Elitest thrill junkie
    and when they get worn you buy new ones for a few bucks. Not a deal breaker for someone who likes em.
    It's a little more complicated than that. Since they go so fast, you end up with bloody knees as they start releasing at the wrong times, like during a real hard uphill where you're pulling hard on the bike. Unfortunately this happened to me more than once. I'm not sure I've ever had SPD cleats wear out, it always seems I wear out the shoes long before the cleats have had it, and then I just get new cleats with new shoes or use an extra pair of cleats that I've accumulated. The unpredictable release with eggs is one of the reasons I can't use them.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Elitest thrill junkie
    How shimano managed to solve the one problem with their mechanism that plagued them over many years, mud/snow clearance, and managed to keep the same exact mechanical function and cleats is genius IMO. Not sure if you've noticed, shimano continues improving all their parts on a rotating basis. Old 737 pedals were dead reliable and worked great, as long as it was not muddy or snowy. With the newer style shimanno pedals I have no problems in the snow, it pushes right through and I'm able to clip in, which is great.

This would be like CB fixing the bottom-impact-top-exit problem or making pedals that weren't disposable.

mtbr member
    yeah, i guess that could be a problem... unless they're used correctly. the object is to have the strap OVER your foot while riding rather than underneath the pedal.

nope. "would seem" sounds like you've never used straps. even with pinned pedals, like mesas and others, and grippy shoes like the 5.10 freerider, it doesn't take effort to get in or out with CORRECTLY adjusted straps.
    Thanx, think I will buy or order some today and try on one of my bikes. Yeah, over the foot, thanx for the tip
    No, never ran straps, but was very happy when toe clips and straps weren't the only option. Not only because of the cage scraping the ground on occasion, but if the shoe was too lugged getting out was unpredictable.
    Round and round we go

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast