Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    I can't help it, your sig says ass in big red letters. You lurking and following me into every thread I post in is creeping me out for a some time now but no biggy. If there's one thing you teach people it's that there's creeps in the world
    Round and round we go

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by monogod
    your obsession with my posterior is really creeping me out.
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat
    I can't help it
    does your wife know about your proclivities?
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

mtbr member
    Well that is assuming I'm married on your part but yes, and i can assure you your ass has nothing to do with them, even thou most of your posts have ass written all over them.
    Round and round we go

meh... whatever
    protesting WAY too much.

mtbr member
    Umm, you said that 3 times now. Is you're computer broken now too, or is this that awkward moment when you think you're important and making headway but you're not?

Rudeness is a weak persons imitation of strength
    Round and round we go

Trail Prospector
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Actually littlestalker he can buy Time atac aluminium for less than,$100. Same hassle free design same easy engagement and release same longevity.
    Do Time's have clips on both sides? If so, I'd be interested in the alu ones - thanks for posting a possible option.

mono, We get it, you don't like Crank Bro's pedals. Everyone is entitled to their opinion IF they have experience.
    Instead of posting product slams, or the repetitive blatant stalking - please tell us what happened with Eggbeaters
    that was so traumatic to cause so much hate.

I used Eggbeaters for 8 years, rebuilt them twice without issue. Had one Candy SL explode, and they were replaced with
    Candy 3's, which so far have been flawless. Seems like the lesser models without needle bearings have issues.

Too bad this thread turned into a shiite flinging fest, I'd kind of like to learn more.
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    Umm, you said that 3 times now. Is you're computer broken now too, or is this that awkward moment when you think you're important and making headway but you're not?
    it's that awkward moment when, despite it being repeated, you fail to grasp it and keep floundering.

Quote Originally Posted by theMeat
    Rudeness is a weak persons imitation of strength
    that certainly explains this.

and here's why i've responded in kind to you: "answer a fool according to his folly, lest he think himself wise". ~ king solomon.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyin_W View Post
    Do Times have clips on both sides? If. so , id be interested in the alum ones. Thanks for posting a possible option
    Yes sir! they are identical on both sides. An easy clip in and clip free hassle free pedal.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^Rock Garden

meh... whatever
    Do Time's have clips on both sides? If so, I'd be interested in the alu ones - thanks for posting a possible option.

mono, We get it, you don't like Crank Bro's pedals. Everyone is entitled to their opinion IF they have experience.
    Instead of posting product slams, or the repetitive blatant stalking - please tell us what happened with Eggbeaters
    that was so traumatic to cause so much hate.

I used Eggbeaters for 8 years, rebuilt them twice without issue. Had one Candy SL explode, and they were replaced with
    Candy 3's, which so far have been flawless. Seems like the lesser models without needle bearings have issues.

Too bad this thread turned into a shiite flinging fest, I'd kind of like to learn more.
    interesting points, i'll respond to each.

certainly seems that "If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it." is true if you think i'm stalking meat.

as usual, meat initiates confrontation with rudeness, then cries and plays the victim and howls "STALKING! STALKING!" when replied to in like manner. what astounds me is that people actually buy into it. sad commentary on our short-attention-span society where common sense is no longer common.

perhaps i took the wrong advice from solomon and instead should've heeded his warning of "Don't respond to the stupidity of a fool; you'll only look foolish yourself."

seriously though, meat's just fun to play with but i'll certainly admit that i generally let it go on a little too long and push his buttons a time or two too many - and for that i apologize and will try to be mindful of limiting in future. although toying with him's amusing to myself and others, it's likewise no doubt taxing and unappealing for some as well. fair enough, and i guess i earned the chastisement for egging it on too long. (see what i did there?)

as for your eggbeater questions i don't hate them (or the people who use them) i just think they suck for the following reasons:

• the egg cleats wear very quickly, whereas spd cleats do not
    • eggs are very prone to inadvertent release due to pedal strikes
    • eggs are prone to release unintentionally when pulling up hard
    • the bars on the cage assembly are prone to breakage, especially subsequent to rock strikes
    • i've seen many cases of the cage wearing through the sole of a high end carbon shoe (low end and non-carbon too), something i've never seen happen with spd or time.
    • they require frequent servicing to spin smoothly
    • i've seen many, many people stranded miles from the trailhead due to exploded eggs (bearing, spindles, cages); but never due to an exploded spd. break one side of an spd and you can still clip into the other side.
    • IME and observation the spindles are inadequate for anything other than mild XC riding and will often fail without warning.

there are some, like you, who have had good luck with them - and i'm certainly not slamming you for your opinion of them or slamming you for choosing to use them. nor have i done so to anyone in this thread.

i've also got pedals, spd, that i've had for over 15 years and have NEVER rebuilt them, serviced them, or done anything but ride them and they're still going strong.

flats vs. clipless, tubes vs. tubeless, 26 vs 29, ss vs. geared.... they've all got their fanboi base. this topic is no different.

if they're working for you, then by all means keep using them. they don't work for me, and from being around shops for years i can say we've warrantied WAY more eggs than spd or time. customers seem to have FAR more issues with eggs than spd or time. 9 times out of 10 when people come in with a pedal problem it's with eggs.

on the rare occasions it's with spd it is usually a cleat placement issue or incorrect tension setting which is easily remedied.

you asked, and now you know the "whys" of my position. ymmv. as may the next guys. the world would be pretty boring if everyone agreed on everything.

did that help shed some light on your queries?

Trail Prospector
    ^ Yes, it did. Thanks for the well written post.

(tapa)
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

mtbr member
    Before I knew who mono was I got a pm from another member, who I didn't know, warning me of the impending wrath of bs that was coming my way because I disagreed with him, and guess what?, they were right. Mono, you point to one post, from another thread, pretty much admitting you followed me in here and why, and I'm sure you can find more, but I again point to this https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...orums.mtbr.com yet you continue to argue and it is I who fails to grasp?
    Guilt is surprising to see coming from you but guilt is only one side of a nasty triangle, The other 2 are shame and stigma. While you lack shame, because you're delusional, you try and dish it out and certainly make up for it with your stigma
    "Meat's fun to play with" is definitely some sig material, and coming from the biggest verbal masturbater mtbr has ever seen, you just can't make this stuff up

As far as CB pedals Idk. There must be some truth to so much slamming. I guess everyone gets lucky sometimes because aside from a set of 50/50s i'm happy with any other cb product I've bought, even the cheap ones. Still have a pair of old acid pedals that went through hell, and althou they're no longer in use, they were fully functional when I took them off. Have candies with thousands of miles still going strong. Never serviced any, when they get beat up i replace them and life goes on. No drama needed.
    Last edited by theMeat; 06-08-2014 at 09:55 PM.
    Round and round we go

meh... whatever
    ^ Yes, it did. Thanks for the well written post.

(tapa)
    yw.

a couple things bear mentioning regarding time pedals as well.

one is that they have 6mm of lateral float, which means your foot can move around on the pedal more than in the spd. personally, i dislike this for a couple of reasons.

as a rider i don't like my foot moving around on the pedal. as a bike fitter it somewhat defeats one aspect of the fit. for a lot of people this will not matter as they won't even bother to get their bike fitted in the first place. but to me it feels almost like the cleat isn't bolted down and is loose on the bottom of the shoe. i feel much more connected using spd.

the second is that times use brass cleats while spd uses hardened steel cleats. brass wears much faster and deforms much easier than hardened steel. the softer brass is also more susceptible to damage from rocks when off the bike than are spd cleats.

so even though the time is a far superior pedal to eggs that's why i personally prefer the spd.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004

Re: Can cleat tension be adjusted on EGGBEATERS pedals?

So far I like my eggs, candies and mallets better than my spd's.
    Ease of clicking in, being able to release whilst under full weight (cx dismount) and lots of float are what do it for me.

mtbr member
    My first fully clippless experience was with cb. I'd hear people talk about release angles, tension adjustments, hot spots, shoe stiffness etc., but for me the hardest part was getting used to the float which was hardly discussed. It took literally months to get used to, thought about giving up clipless, and to help with the learning curve went so far as to only ride clipless for months even thou I knew and wanted pinned platforms on some of my bikes moving forward. Once I stopped thinking about float and was just riding I then put my pinned platforms back onto some bikes and bam. I had to think about lifting my foot to reposition it and till this day gave up 5.10s on everything except dh days because they stick so well and slowed my riding and confidence because you actually have to lift your foot off the pedal to get any movement out of them.
    So in summary, imo, of coarse there's being connected to the bike and the pedal upstroke advantage which is obvious, but float, and being able to move your foot/body around while still being connected is the best thing about clipless. IME if you give it long enough you will learn to love it.

I can't speak of times because I never tried them but have tried a couple of spd and didn't like em. It looks like cb have some durability issues but I haven't had any, and can't see a better mud shedding design out there

And to you
    Figured you'd want to change the subject after I posted that link again, as you didn't post for a day or more, even thou I know you were here more than once, and probably wished the whole thread would go away and certainly didn't want bring it ttt after i posted it last time. Understandable.
    As much as it urks me when you're mean mr nasty pants, it warms me when you're helpful and share in the comradory round here. Either way I'll give credit where it's do, you talk a good game but you poked the beehive enough times that I'm now watching how you play.
    Round and round we go

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by monogod View Post

one is that they have 6mm of lateral float, which means your foot can move around on the pedal more than in the spd. personally, i dislike this for a couple of reasons.
    That doesn't even count the lateral float that the pedals have built in due to shoddy tolerances! You can usually move the eggbeater mechanism back and forth a bit, as it doesn't really tighten down, which likely leads to some of the pedal-coming off the spindle problems (have experienced that multiple times).
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

meh... whatever
    jayem, although i was talking about time pedals you did raise another good point about eggs as they have some lateral float as well. and too often when shims are used vertical movement also.

to be fair though, haven't seen as much body/spindle play in the higher end models. candy included. as our resident retart mentioned they do have decent mud shedding capabilities, though spd and time pedals shed mud just fine as well.

another viable option to eggs are the look s-track pedals.

if you noticed a similarity to eggs, good eye. CB licensed the basic design from look and went on to create their 4 sided EB. differing from the EB though the s-track has a hardened steel cleat, the largest bearing surface of any mtb pedal on the market, and a pedal strike does not cause them to open and release.

and for those who like candy-style or clip/platform pedals there is an optional cage as well. the nice thing about the cage is that it is a two-piece wafer design that "sandwiches" the cleat. installation/removal takes all of two minutes total, if that.

in addition to much more surface area than the EB candy this also adds versatility to the pedal because it also allows a quick platform conversion for a commute, bike path, or just tooling around. when installed, the two raised screws you see are countersunk. and unlike the candy if the platform gets damaged it is quick, easy, and cheap to replace.

tally it all up and in the end mho is EB = epic fail.
    Last edited by monogod; 06-09-2014 at 09:59 AM.

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    So far I like my eggs, candies and mallets better than my spd's.
    Ease of clicking in, being able to release whilst under full weight (cx dismount) and lots of float are what do it for me.
    in the end, that's what really counts. the equipment that gets someone on their bike frequently and provides the most fun while riding is the best for them.

Front Range, Colorado
    This is a pretty good informative thread once you sift through the ongoing lovers quarrel posts.

As far as Times having 6 of float. What better way than to protect your knees from damage. I've never noticed it nor has it hindered my riding. I feel very connected to the bike. And have always been highly impressed with the longevity of hassle free use you get from these pedals. Easy to clip in easy to clip out in an emergency. Set the dial for your desired release tension and forget about it. Zero maintenance with them. I have a set of aluminiums that I ran for 8 years and were only taken off because I updated to the higher end Times. Those have been going hassle free for 6 years. I don't know what most people desire out of
    a product but in my mind TTME have hit every
    mark with this design.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^Rock Garden

mtbr member
    This is a pretty good informative thread once you sift through the ongoing lovers quarrel posts.
    You're right DJ

From my first post, day one with mono, I said he has some knowledge, can be witty and helpful sometimes, and if he could stop being a pompous fvcktart so often it would be better for all and much appreciated. So thanx mono, that's all i wanted. Whether it's to prove me wrong or you really are a changed man we'll see by how long it lasts. One post out of 2 on this thread without a personal put down is a start. And it seems you've been cool around the rest of the site too so cool. Hope you don't tempt me to go "retart" on you again. Occasional person put downs directed toward me to boost your ego i can live with, repeated assaults on others for no good reason i won't.

Kudos to FlyinW's wise first post on this thread that finally made mono take some responsibility.
    Round and round we go

meh... whatever
    From my first post, day one with mono, I said he has some knowledge, can be witty and helpful sometimes, and if he could stop being a pompous fvcktart so often it would be better for all and much appreciated. So thanx mono, that's all i wanted. Whether it's to prove me wrong or you really are a changed man we'll see by how long it lasts. One post out of 2 on this thread without a personal put down is a start. And it seems you've been cool around the rest of the site too so cool. Hope you don't tempt me to go "retart" on you again. Occasional person put downs directed toward me to boost your ego i can live with, repeated assaults on others for no good reason i won't.

Kudos to FlyinW's wise first post on this thread that finally made mono take some responsibility.
    so you believe yourself to be the holy trinity of a self-appointed mtbr mod, my keeper, and the grand avenger of the interwebs?

wow.

meh... whatever
    As far as Times having 6 of float. What better way than to protect your knees from damage. I've never noticed it nor has it hindered my riding. I feel very connected to the bike.
    no, i said i don't care for the 6mm of lateral float. the cleat can move 6mm laterally in the cage, which is different from the 5 degrees of heel float.

due to lack of lateral float and the increased tension when set at max, i feel much more connected/secure on the spd than the time.

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE
    And have always been highly impressed with the longevity of hassle free use you get from these pedals. Easy to clip in easy to clip out in an emergency. Set the dial for your desired release tension and forget about it. Zero maintenance with them. I don't know what most people desire out of a product but in my mind TTME have hit every mark with this design.
    i feel the very same about spd!

in the end, we're both right about what's best because each is what we like and enjoy the most on our bikes!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by monogod View Post
    so you believe yourself to be the holy trinity of a self-appointed mtbr mod, my keeper, and the grand avenger of the interwebs?

wow.
    I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to, and I completely understand why and how you'd take my post that way
    Round and round we go

meh... whatever
    I completely understand why and how you'd take my post that way
    duh... cuz it's true.

meh... whatever
    on an on-topic note, saw someone riding the trail on frogs.

another good alternative for those looking for pedals with lots of float, good mud shedding, and easy entry/exit.

mtbr member
    If we're gonna make a great clipless thread out of the ashes of "eggbeater suck" think a few things that aren't discussed or maybe understood too much that'r worth putting out there...
    The shoe is a big part. Not only how much flex for walking vs stiff for pedaling, and stiffness to pedal size ratio choice, but how much grip for both the shoe and the pedal, and how grippy they work together, which control float and release tension with friction.
    You'll hear alot of the smaller the platform the stiffer the shoe, but too stiff can cause discomfort for some too, on and off the pedals.

The pedals.
    Time, look, and cb work the same way. Look at the pedals Bike Shoes and Pedals - Clipless MTB Pedal Systems. They all have 2 bars. 1 on the front, one back that the cleat attaches to. The cleat can move side to side (lateral float) without changing or effecting release angle. How easy you can move side to side is where shoe / pedal grippyness comes in, as well as for moving to release. These pedals also have an active type release where the harder you push down the easier it is to release, and the more you pull up the stronger the connection. You can also adjust release tension with a shim under the cleat or shoe thickness because it's an active type release. All these pedals have higher release angle then spd. Times 13-17, look and cg 15-20.
    Spd works different. Look at the pedal. There's a grove for the cleat to fit into with noticeably less float. The spring allows for more float but you feel the tension of the spring even when dialed all the way down. As compared to not feeling it on the other pedals because of the bars front and back you can slide across. And you'll also feel release angle tension along with that so some argue they have any real float at all. Spd release angle seams a mystery. One lbs says 12, another 12.5. Think shimano says 13. My closest lbs says it's 23 or something, he adds 13 for release + degrees of float + angling cleat on shoe. As the cleats wear you'll get more wiggle room.
    Which brings me to the cleats. They can be angled/turned on the shoe to adjust release angle a bit. The cleat should be aligned with the pedal when you're in a natural stance. With spd if you move the cleat from this position to adjust release angle you feel the tension. If you adjust the spring tension you will feel it more/less. With the other pedals you don't feel it as much through design. And with spd you can't adjust release tension with cleat depth, only the tension/ spring.
    Round and round we go

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast