mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Camelbak M.U.L.E 2006

Hi all!

I did a quick search here on the forums and it didn't turn up any terribly useful results. My question is the following: Do you guys reccomend the Camelbak MULE '06 for me and do you think I would be able to fit all my stuff in it? An average ride includes the following in the bag:

Tools (minipump, spare tube, multitool, tire levers)
    Sweatshirt (don't mind having it secured on the pack externally)
    Sandwich
    Camera
    Wallet
    Mobile
    Energy bars
    It'd be a nice plus to be able to strap elbow guards on (I wear the shinguards all throughout the rides)
    Being able to secure the fullface helmet on the bag is pretty much a must.
    I ride anywhere between 0.5 - 5 hour rides and I'm a thirsty guy so I figured I'd get a pack with 3L of hydration. Would all the above fit into the bag WITH the water reservoir filled 100%?
    I can get the MULE '06 at the price of 70 euros which is good (they retail for 90). Just for the record, I ride DH & some light freeride.

Thanks a bunch,
    -DC

willtsmith_nwi

Probably not ...

For everything you've listed, the mule will probably be a tight squeeze. And unless you put your sandwich in a hard container, it will end up being a panake.

The Havoc and Mayhem have more cargo space and they have integrated attachment points for shin guards and a full face helmet.

The alternative is to get a HAWG and sew your on compression straps for the helmet and shinguards.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Chicken
    Hi all!

I did a quick search here on the forums and it didn't turn up any terribly useful results. My question is the following: Do you guys reccomend the Camelbak MULE '06 for me and do you think I would be able to fit all my stuff in it? An average ride includes the following in the bag:

Sandwich
    Camera
    Wallet
    Mobile
    Energy bars
    It'd be a nice plus to be able to strap elbow guards on (I wear the shinguards all throughout the rides)
    I ride anywhere between 0.5 - 5 hour rides and I'm a thirsty guy so I figured I'd get a pack with 3L of hydration. Would all the above fit into the bag WITH the water reservoir filled 100%?
    I can get the MULE '06 at the price of 70 euros which is good (they retail for 90). Just for the record, I ride DH & some light freeride.

Thanks a bunch,
    -DC

Freshly Fujified

Too small

Will's right, it's gonna be tight. The '06 is larger than the older version that I have, but given the amount of things you want to pack (the sweatshirt is a killer for space) I'd reccommend a larger pack.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    IMO the MULE will be a little small for all your needs. I have one I use as a "Summer" or shorter ride pack. With a full bladder it's pretty hard to stuff alot in it....the HAWG however can accomodate alot more - including 2 bladders for those epic rides.

CamelBak also makes specific packs to strap your full face helmet on like the Mayhem - it holds 100oz H2O plus special hookups for your DH/Free ride gear and is a little bigger than the MULE:
    Click here to review

Hope this helps
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I have an '06 MULE, and I doubt you'll be able to fit all of that in there. I like to pack a little lighter, and here's what I usually have with me:

Minipump (Topeak Mountain Morph)
    Multi-tool (Topeak Alien II)
    Spare tube
    Spare chain links and pins
    Zip ties
    Gloves (full-finger)
    Wallet
    Cell phone (Treo 650)
    Keys
    Energy gel packs

All of the above fit pretty easily into the MULE, but I wouldn't want to cram in any food product other than an energy bar or two. You could also strap on a sweatshirt (not much need for that here in TX) and pads externally, but it sounds like you should go for something bigger (maybe the HAWG).

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thanks a bunch for the helpful replies! I'll take a peek at the Mayhem but the thing is I think my LBS sells them for 105E which is quite a bit over what I'd originally wanted to spend on it... I'll see if I can get them to take the price down of an '05 Mayhem (all the stuff they sell, regardless of year, gets sold at the same price :S). I'll take a peek at the Mayhem when I next go to my LBS.

Cheers,
    -DC

EDIT: Oops, why do I get the feeling the Mayhem was introduced in '06? xD
    Last edited by Drunken Chicken; 03-08-2006 at 02:34 PM.

willtsmith_nwi

Dakine Nomad ...

Quote Originally Posted by CHUM
    IMO the MULE will be a little small for all your needs. I have one I use as a "Summer" or shorter ride pack. With a full bladder it's pretty hard to stuff alot in it....the HAWG however can accomodate alot more - including 2 bladders for those epic rides.

CamelBak also makes specific packs to strap your full face helmet on like the Mayhem - it holds 100oz H2O plus special hookups for your DH/Free ride gear and is a little bigger than the MULE:
    Click here to review

Hope this helps

I did some snooping and some people recommend the Dakine Nomad for freeriding. They say it handles a helmet and shin guards a little better than the Camelbak.

If it was me, I'd just sew some attachment points onto a HAWG. For the shinguards, I would sew some large elasticized mesh pockets on the bottom sides of the pack (similar to the one on the back). The bottoms of the shinguards would stuff into those mesh pockets (which would self-cinch when not in use). The tops would be secured with straps. For the helmet, I think I'd make a long velcro flap on the back that wrapped around the chinguard. Then you could just use an elastic bungee to secure the base.

mtbr member
    Hi all!

Sandwich
    Camera
    Wallet
    Mobile
    Energy bars

Thanks a bunch,
    -DC
    I just bought a MULE last week, and when it showed up, I was a little disappointed in the size. I would also recommend the HAWG if your looking to put in even half of what your list has on it.

mtbr member
    Thanks a bunch for the helpful replies! I'll take a peek at the Mayhem but the thing is I think my LBS sells them for 105E which is quite a bit over what I'd originally wanted to spend on it... I'll see if I can get them to take the price down of an '05 Mayhem (all the stuff they sell, regardless of year, gets sold at the same price :S). I'll take a peek at the Mayhem when I next go to my LBS.
    I just bought a HAWG from the REI near me. It was an '05 and I got it for $60. I've used the MULE for the past 3 seasons and I finally got fed up with trying to decide what to bring and what to leave home. The MULE looks big enough when empty, but when it has a full bladder, the space becomes really really tight.
    "If you suck, that means I'm better. The more you suck, the better I am. So. Let me count the ways you suck." - Scribb